Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 901 to 920 of 1,072

RR529

AD Police Files (Retro Crush)

A three episode prequel to Bubblegum Crisis (which I've recently watched as well) that follows Leon (a supporting character from the original) during his rookie year within the AD Police (short for "Advanced Police"), well before the Knight Sabers first appeared.

Like the original, each episode is more or less a stand alone story within the world rather than having any sort of overarching narrative. However It's a much grittier take on the world (which makes since given that the Knight Sabers haven't started to clean things up yet), and they take the chance to tackle some deeper themes (such as the line between humanity & machine in a world where artificial body enhancement & advanced humanoid androids run rampant), and this is even reflected in the art direction, which strikes a more realistic tone (especially the first episode, the second two look a bit more like the original). The VHS video quality persists too however, as it clearly hasn't had any sort of enhanced re-release. Still, an interesting sci-fi watch, especially if you can handle the grittier content.

Content Guide:

Language (Average) - Typical PG-13 stuff.

Violence (Extreme) - People routinely get mutilated & ripped asunder with blood spraying everywhere.

Sex/Nudity (Extreme) - Nudity & Sex are pretty common as well. I mean the first episode centers around an artificial prostitute, & the second deals with the murder of prostitutes, so you can guess at the prevalence.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Blooper987

Should I watch Another and Higurashi or do you guys think they are a bit too extreme? I love the look of them as very disturbing shows, but it may be a bit too much for me. I've seen a couple clips of both like the principal killing himself in Another (albeit a slightly censored version) and some of the suppsoedly lighter stuff in Higurashi. I am talking about the original Higurashi and not the new one from 2020.

Ralizah

@Blooper987 Did you watch the Danganronpa 3 anime? If you can handle the last few episodes of that, you can handle either of those shows.

I've only seen half of Another, but it was 90% suggestion and atmosphere, so unless it changes a lot in the last few episodes, I doubt you'll have any issues with it.

Higurashi is actually interesting insofar as it goes back and forth between extremely silly slice-of-life comedy and brutally violent horror throughout the first season, due to the way it's structured. So you never really have to worry about it overloading the viewer with too much crazy violence at once, because it almost always pulls back and lightens up a bit after an episode or two. It's also worth mentioning that there's way less gruesome violence in the subsequent seasons and OVAs.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Blooper987

@Ralizah okay thanks. I did watch Danganronpa 3 and I didn’t find it that bad so I’ll add these to my watch list.

RR529

Medabots (Retro Crush)

Kids' anime released at the height of the original Pokemon craze, this turn of the millennium show features collecting & battling with robots called "Medabots". Of course there's something special with our main character Ikki's outdated "Metabee" model thanks to a strange medal (this acts as the brain/soul of a Metabot) he found in the river, and soon the pair are one of the hottest "Robattling" pairs in school, gaining the attention of the "Rubber Robo Gang" (goofy criminal syndicate like Team Rocket) & "the Phantom Renegade" (mysterious medal thief who rides the line between friend & foe).

It's been a long time since I've watched anything like this (I caught a couple episodes as a kid, but for whatever reason was never in a position to follow it more closely), and I had a pretty fun time with it. I really liked the smart"butt" characterization of Metabee, as well as seeing where the match referee would pop out next. You can tell it was definitely from an era with heavier localization (not 4Kids levels of bad, as it didn't generally hide the fact that it took place in Japan, & still referenced death), with the biggest notable example being when they referred to a tengu as Pinocchio (which I'll let slide as even most adults in the US wouldn't know what a tengu is). There were a few story threads left open by the end, meaning either Retro Crush doesn't have further seasons (or they were never brought to the US in the first place), but overall it was a fun show if you like Pokemon likes.

Content Guide:

Language (None) - Other than offensively bad wordplay like "Holy Metaroly", "I'm gonna' give you a Meta Be-Boppin'", & "Your Bot is mine!", Which you'll hear a lot, lol.

Violence (Mild) - low impact robot fights. Think Pokemon in terms of fighting.

Sex/Nudity (None) - Nothing to note here.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Blooper987

Devil is a Part Timer season 2 confirmed!!! So awesome!🥳

RR529

Only one episode of YashaHime left, and at this point I hope it gets a second season not because it's good (it's been disappointing), but as a hope that they might fix at least some of it's many issues.

Literally one episode until the end and they're still introducing new plot threads, so there's still at least 4 or 5 things left unresolved, and so far they've completely ignored the original cast (Miroku is the only one who is involved enough to barely even be considered a supporting character). In all honesty it's reminding me of the myriad of Tenchi Muyo sequels & spinoffs that give Tenchi 5 minutes of screentime if you're lucky (and at least those have the excuse of focusing on acquaintances of his, rather than his own children like YashaHime).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Is there some sort of relatively new Japanese law that forbids anime from mentioning real world locations/historical events?

I've been watching Lupin the 3rd: a Woman Called Fujiko Mine, and recently watched an episode that used the Cuban revolution as the backdrop, and while it featured geographically correct maps (including clear shots at Cuba itself, plus highlighting the US & Soviet Union), as well as other real world references & institutions (such as the Doomsday Clock & United Nations), almost everything else was, very lazily, renamed.

• Cuba itself became Carib (although just a play on Caribbean, it's probably the most subtle change).
  • Havana became Navaha.
  • Fidel Castro himself was Philadel Kest.
  • The USA was United States of Yamerica (although the continent of South America was unscathed).
  • Even the Atlantic Ocean had to assume an alternate identity as the Atlantique Ocean.

What could possibly be the point of using real world events as a backdrop if you're ultimately going to pussyfoot around it in the least subtle way imaginable, unless they're technically not allowed to?

Heck, I already feel like more modern anime are foregoing the real world altogether in comparison to the older stuff, but now it also feels like when they do seem to take place in the real world they make lazy edits such as the above.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

HallowMoonshadow

I started watching Steins; Gate (in the english dub ) seeing as it was on Netflix.

I watched it a pretty long while ago... Like 5/6 years? So I don't fully remember it but I can recall a couple of twists and turns as to what happens.

I quite like the slow pace it has at first with them figuring out what exactly is going on with the lottery ticket, the jelly bananas and the likes. I think I'm just about to start episode 12 where everything goes sideways for the future gadget lab and kicks up the pace a bit.

... And yeah I think the English dub is actually pretty good and I love Okabe and his mad scientist schtick!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RR529

Finished up a couple different Lupin the 3rd series recently.

First up was Lupin the 3rd: Part 3. Not much of a (if any) overarching narrative, but it was fun seeing what kinda antics the gang got into episode to episode. Not a big deal due to the "story of the week" structure, but for whatever reason Funimation doesn't have the first 3 episodes (only episodes 4-50), which is really odd as they seem to have Part 1, Part 2, Part 4, Part 5, & a Woman Called Fujiko Mine in their entirety, so I'm not sure what's so special about Part 3 that would cause them not to pick up all the episodes.

Secondly was the aforementioned a Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Fujiko centric prequel that's tonally different than anything else I've experienced from the franchise. It has a singular overarching story for one, and it's much more gritty & graphic for another. It spends most of it's time hinting & building up a twisted & tragic backstory for the infamous femme fatale, though it kinda pulls the rug out from under you right at the end though. Still, a very interesting watch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

MightyDemon82

I watched Tokyo Godfathers last night not knowing what to expect and wow. what a heart warming surprise it was, also really funny too!

My first book of 2022 Is 20th Century Boys enjoying it so far, have all deluxe volumes so I'll probably fly through them as Urasawa is brilliant.

MightyDemon82

RR529

First InuYasha gets a sequel & now Urusei Yatsura is getting a remake. Wonder if Ranma will be next.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Bentleyma

Just started watching Shenmue. I’m not the biggest anime fan, but I’m liking it so far. Be interesting to see how it compares to the game overall.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

MightyDemon82

@Bentleyma where can I watch it? Never played the games but I'll give the anime a go.

MightyDemon82

Legacy2K

Shenmue had a decent start.

I've just got into Ranking of Kings and it's way better than I expected!

Legacy2K

MightyDemon82

@Bentleyma Ok, Thanks I'm always considering subscribing to an anime service so I might just do that at some point.

MightyDemon82

kyleforrester87

I am not a manga man, not even close. But I got Beserk Delux Volume 1 today on a bit of an impulse. I heard it's good, but I dunno.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic