Forums

Topic: Manga and Anime discussion

Posts 941 to 960 of 1,075

RR529

Got a little haul in.

Untitled

City Hunter the Movie: Shinjuku Private Eyes - I fell in love with City Hunter when I watched the first season on Retro Crush, so I decided to nab the recent movie. Watched it this morning & liked it.

New Cutey Honey - I first watched this about a decade ago on a YouTube channel that was uploading a bunch of old US Manga Corps/Central Park Media (which has been defunct) properties & remember really liking it. Needless to say I was excited to find out it had been picked up & remastered for Blu-Ray by a new licensor & am hoping to see if it still holds up.

Maken Ki season 1 - Similar story to the above, as in I watched it probably about a decade ago (though on some pirate site) and remember enjoying it (particularly this first season). I've been eyeing it for awhile and just haven't pulled the gun until now (no matter what I'll probably pick up season 2 eventually just for completionist's sake).

Bonus: Alternate art for City Hunter the Movie under the cardboard slip cover.

Untitled

@KidBoruto, what a massive haul! Hope you enjoy Medabots, I watched it a little over on Retro Crush and it made me fill like a kid again (I only watched an episode or two when it first came out, so finding it was a bit of childhood wish fulfillment), and had a lot of fun with it.

Also let me know how you get on with Kenichi. I loved the manga when I read it years ago, though the anime didn't seem to really capture it well when I was first made aware of it so I never watched it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

@RR529 Make sure to watch the Jackie Chan City Hunter movie! Absolute steaming garbage but Jackie Chan is always watchable and I have a soft spot for it.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@TowaHerschel7 Yep, that was on when I was a kid! Quite liked it actually, it was a bizarre premise but totally worked.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RR529

@TowaHerschel7, @nessisonett, I had heard of the Jackie Chan City Hunter but had no idea it was related. Will definitely check it out at some point.

Totally forgot Jackie Chan Adventures even existed, but now that it's been brought up I remember loving it (not sure if I ever finished it, or if it ever did get a proper ending, though). I think it was a Saturday morning cartoon over here, part of the same block as Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Ralizah

Started watching Yona of the Dawn recently and am really enjoying it so far. Feels like what Fushigi Yuugi could have been without the omnipresent sexual assault, weak heroine, and troubling handling of transgender character.

Of course, it's early days for me, so there's always time for the show to show its butt. Unfortunately, it seems like the show never got a second season, so I'll probably have to transition to the manga sooner than later.

Could still get renewed, though. If The Devil Is a Part-Timer can get a second season after all these years, so can anything!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RR529

@KidBoruto, yeah, I don't own much physically (I only had Captain Earth, Godannar, and the first two Evangelion rebuild films before my recent purchase), but I'm gonna try & get into it more often.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

@RR529 Big fan of the City Hunter series and some of the movies as well. Love Saeba and gang. The anime had some really nice and catchy city pop songs as well. Unfortunately, Shinjuku Private Eyes was only a 6/10 for me.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

WanderingBullet

@nessisonett Lol, Jackie Chan had some really good movies during the 80s and 90s but that City Hunter movie terrible. Plus that Street Fighter scene was a joke.

There's also a French version City Hunter movie.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

RR529

@WanderingBullet, I thought the movie (Shinjuku Private Eyes) was pretty fun.

I guess maybe the drone CGI clashed with the 2D animation (which itself looked really good, IMO) a bit too much, and watching it dubbed I think they shouldn't have tried to translate his catchphrase ("Nookie" just doesn't have the same ring to it), but other than that I don't have anything to complain about.

It also made me realize I need to watch Cat's Eye at some point.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

@RR529 I've watched all the City Hunter series episodes and movies (I think) but not Cat's Eye. Hopefully, one day they'll be available on Netflix.

RR529

Some anime I got in over the weekend.

Untitled

Lupin the 3rd: Jigen's Gravestone - the first in the "Koike" trilogy of Lupin films. Watched it on Saturday night and other than being a tad shorter than I typically expect from a movie (it's just about an hour long), I thought it was excellent & will definitely check out the other two (the way the villains tried to execute Fujiko certainly was... something, though).

Tekkaman Blade II - Like New Cutey Honey in my last batch, this is an old 90's OVA series I last watched on YouTube a decade ago, and was thrilled to see it available remastered on Blu-Ray. It was pretty short (6 episodes) so I binged it over the weekend, and still thought it was fantastic.

Maken-Ki season 2 - If season one was any indication, this is just going to be more fan service guilty pleasure than anything else, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Bonus: alternate box art for Jigen's Gravestone under the slip case.

Untitled

@KidBoruto, yay, another InuYasha fan! There doesn't seem to be that many of us around these days.

Also, what's the show in the plastic wrap? The glare is obscuring the title.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

z0d15g0d

@KidBoruto I really enjoyed black clover. The last 10 eps feature some of the best anime fights available. Hope it comes back soon.

z0d15g0d

KidRyan

@RR529 InuYasha fans still exist, we just have been overshadowed by YashaHime and other anime giants sadly lol. To be honest though, I haven't even seen Final Act yet!

Planning to re-watch the entire original series first before I start it and YashaHime.

That anime would be The Book of Bantorra! Blind buy that I got after seeing the trailer and some positive reviews.

@z0d15g0d I've heard good things about Black Clover but haven't watched yet! Waiting for them to release a Season 3 Complete Blu-Ray first.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic