Forums

Topic: Favorite Video Game Music

Posts 141 to 160 of 198

RogerRoger

@Solea Completely agree. I get that some modern games are deliberately trying to mimic Hollywood (and, if that's the case, go right ahead in chasing a certain style) but as somebody who listens to nothing but soundtracks, I quite like the variety game music can bring to my playlists.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Okay, as promised, here are a select few favourites from modern Sonic the Hedgehog games. Just know that, for every track I'm sharing here, there are dozens more! I've tried to pick a representative selection, otherwise we'd be here all day and I'd crash the forums with YouTube video links.

So yeah, many people think each game's main theme is a cheesy, rock-type affair. Those songs do exist, and are basically used for promotional trailers, other marketing and the game's opening demo reel. They'll occasionally return to accompany the "epic" moments of gameplay but, when they do, they're quite often in instrumental form, with orchestral strings and trumpets taking the place of the vocals and accompanying the guitars and drums. Some are good, others are less-than-good. I won't cover them here.

What I will do is show you this, which is from Sonic Colours and is actually listed on its soundtrack as the game's main theme. It plays over all menus, sub-menus, results screens and the world map (far more often than "Reach For The Stars", the pop-rock Cash Cash song associated with the game which many would mistakenly identify as its main theme).

Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Lost World, Sonic Forces and a handful of other games have similar musical structures, heavily reliant on classical themes throughout (the latter of which used the London Symphony Orchestra, whereas I believe it's traditionally been the Tokyo Philharmonic).

As far as gameplay scoring goes, the music becomes largely dependent on the level's theme (so if it's a snow level, things sound stereotypically wintery or use Christmas bells, etc.) but there's a general rule of needing to be fast-paced, which often leads to techno, pop or rock influences. About 50% of the time, however, the tracks are built around a classical core, even if they aren't subsequently performed by an orchestra.

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) may be widely considered to be a disaster of a game, but its music is almost universally praised, with its most popular track being from the Crisis City level.

There are some exceptions to this fast-paced rule, however. Sonic's gameplay might be all about speed, but you can still create some really chilled stuff with a fast-ish tempo. Check out "Sea Bottom Segue" from the Wii U exclusive Sonic Lost World.

Randomly, one of the smaller spin-off storybook games, Sonic & the Black Knight on Wii, got a ridiculous amount of time and attention paid to its soundtrack. It combined dozens of artists from across Sonic's history and got them to compose a bunch of level themes each, leading to a wide variety of styles being represented. My favourite is Richard Jacques' piece "Shrouded Forest" (which also handily represents a dramatic style which often accompanies boss fights, even though it isn't from one itself).

I suppose things do frequently descend into what people would expect to hear, given the common reputation of the modern games, but even in its most "wall of noise" moments I can enjoy trying to separate out the various layers of each track in my head. I'm often finding new things in the background of some pieces, like this pure techno from Sonic Forces (which, fair warning, is the audio equivalent of drinking six espressos).

Apologies; I probably sound like a bit of a defensive snob about all this, but I genuinely do adore the franchise and that adoration is largely thanks to its music, which has been defining and influencing my overall tastes since I was in the single-digit age range.

I'll just leave you with this closing cutscene score. Thanks for reading my rant.

Making It So Since 1987

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Holy heck @RogerRoger

That Crisis City track is rather great! And so is Sea Bottom Segue. Love it. I'll admit I'm a sucker for string instruments in particular and both of them have a great melody 😁

I'd say so @Ralizah. As you put it's quite understated and most of the tracks I've heard so far (I've only heard a few and don't wish to spoil anything) share a similar sort of understated approach at the moment.

I said before when I posted some screenshots from this in the respective thread that you even get to choose an instrument (out of a Bansuri, Tambura, Oud or Cello) in the character creation and from a quick peak there are a number of song/themes that have alternate versions to go along with this choice so... Certainly be interesting to hear those alternate versions when I get to it!

I'm currently rather busy with work so apologies in advance if I don't reply to your post til a few days later or seem a little less talkative then usual!

I do appreciate it though!

RogerRoger

@Solea Hey, we like what we like, right? Not only is art subjective, but it's a journey to find what personally resonates with you; some of us are lucky to find it early in life, whereas others are still searching long into adulthood. Doesn't mean I won't occasionally go off, exploring for new things, but I'll always find myself coming back around to my starting point.

You are right, though; I'm hardly ever bored.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy You're a fan of string instruments, you say...?

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Solea You'll get there eventually. You've started looking, which is more than most do!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Solea Heck yeah, the Sonic Advance trilogy is awesome! Great choice! I also agree with you in saying that Sonic Advance 2 is the best of the bunch. I like the simplicity of the first, but the third got a little too complicated, needlessly so. Very steep difficulty curve, as well.

There were a couple of halfway-decent tunes they managed to squeeze out of the GBA. I quite liked it when they got ambitious and added choral chanting to Chaos Angel Zone, but otherwise it's the staple stereotype music that has aged the best, like the various boss tunes (both original and returning), Secret Base and the Ice Paradise Zone. Not what I'd immediately reach for, but nice enough.

Making It So Since 1987

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Another good track there @RogerRoger with Rooftop Run... cheers

I'm currently rather busy with work so apologies in advance if I don't reply to your post til a few days later or seem a little less talkative then usual!

RogerRoger

@Solea You're not alone. It took a lot of patience to clear the regular story, and there was absolutely zero chance of getting even a single Chaos Emerald, let alone seven of the flippin' things to see the true ending. I mean, Chao are adorable and whatnot, but... no, just... no.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy You're welcome! Don't worry, I'll stop now.

Making It So Since 1987

DonJorginho

My Favourite VG Music Piece OAT.

This make me tear up whenever I hear it, so beautiful and jam packed of emotion.

DonJorginho

nessisonett

The Nier G/R and Automata OSTs are on Spotify now along with the Yakuza games so gonna be bopping along to the disco tracks from Yakuza 0 for the foreseeable future!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I'm back with 8 Divinity Original Sin 2 tracks...

Or rather one track, Dancing With The Source, in 5 different ways and three others.

As I said before in the character creation you also get to chose an instrument... and as such there's versions for each one of some themes... and all of them sound rather unique. Even the standard theme without a specified instrument sounds good!

The Cello version probably sounds the most alike to the original version, but I still quite like it. As I've said before I'm a sucker for strings in particular

The Tambura version meanwhile definitely sounds more unique

Though the Bansuri version really is quite something...

The Oud is quite nice too! I like all the versions in fact!

Onto a few other, actually different, tracks Reaper's Coast is quite a nice, soft track

And without NPC chatter, Driftwood's theme is rather nice too

and finally Path Of The Godwoken

Borislav Slavov... you may have the most eastern european sounding name ever... But you know how to work your instruments! Utterly delightful!

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

nessisonett

@KratosMD Love a bit of Kuze, he just keeps coming back!

I’ve been listening to both the Ridge Racer Type 4 OST and the Street Fighter 3 Third Strike OST, both of which are breakbeat inspired and seriously impressive.

It really puts the Street in Street Fighter for once.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett That second video, Dudley's Stage, is so brilliantly 90s. Made me smile!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger The whole album is brilliantly 90s and I love it. Can’t believe how backwards the SFIV OST is in comparison.

Anti-Matter

This music !

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

PSN: DavidHartonoDDR

Anti-Matter

CHAOS by DE-SIRE Retunes from Dance Dance Revolution SuperNOVA.

Just look at the erratic 42 stops.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

PSN: DavidHartonoDDR

nessisonett

Just discovered that the Tekken arcade music slaps. I’m used to the PS1 version which has a slightly worse OST due to the bass not being as incredible.

And here’s the PS1 version in comparison.

Edited on by nessisonett

nessisonett

The Silent Hill 2, 3, 4, Origins, Homecoming and Shattered Memories OSTs are on Spotify now which is brilliant because they were some of the few actually missing given that Sega, Namco, Squeenix etc have put all theirs on. Dunno why the first one isn’t there but I have it on vinyl so I’m covered on that front. Strangely, Super Mario 64, Lylat Wars and Ocarina of Time’s OSTs are on Spotify but they’re uploaded a single track at a time, I assume to avoid Nintendo taking them down. Still, I appreciate it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic