Forums

Topic: Dex's Diner - The Star Wars Topic

Posts 721 to 740 of 810

Thrillho

@LN78 The Oscars we’re rigged that year for sure.

Crash? Phillip Seymour Hoffman? Reese Witherspoon? Nope, I’ve never heard of them either.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho To be fair, Crash is probably worse than Revenge of the Sith 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett No it isn't. How it won the Best Picture Oscar over "Brokeback Mountain", however, remains a mystery.

LN78

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Grievous was always supposed to be a thematic symbol more than anything else, foreshadowing Anakin's cybernetic fate at the end of the film. He then got elevated to "major player" status because Obi-Wan wouldn't have gotten distracted from Anakin's plight by some minor side skirmish. As a result, The Clone Wars doesn't expand on him all that much, because there's nothing really there to expand upon. He's just a nasty piece of work with a really, really cool design.

The show uses him as such on multiple occasions...

...although the Season One episode "Lair of Grievous" is a highlight, and the closest he ever comes to having any form of tangible character development. Worth checking out.

Anyway, congratulations on enduring the prequels all over again! Best of luck with Solo, which is far better than most folks (myself included) would have you believe! Are you also gonna fold in the Disney+ live action shows as you go? Because then it'll be Obi-Wan after that, right?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger Fair. It was things like giving him an inexplicable cough which I read there was something about in the Clone Wars show. An odd thing to just randomly throw in there. He was great to play as in Battlefront 2 though

And yeah, it’ll be Solo, Obi-Wan, and Andor to come for me!

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Well, yes and no. George Lucas gave him a cough simply because he represents an imperfect prototype of the Vader tech (which still isn't perfect in and of itself, considering how loudly it breathes for him). It was the 2D Clone Wars cartoon (not The Clone Wars) that'd mistakenly introduced him without a cough and so, at the very end of their sequence showing Grievous kidnapping Palpatine during the Battle of Coruscant, they chucked in a last-minute shot of Mace Windu crushing his chest with the Force, to "explain" the cough and cover their butts. It was a cute idea, but totally non-canon. Skip to 2008 and The Clone Wars shows Grievous coughing a few weeks after the Battle of Geonosis, invalidating the Windu crush theory and reinforcing that he's just an imperfect test-bed for Star Wars cyborg tech.

Sorry, that was a big ol' nerd rant, wasn't it? You're right, the most important thing is that he's an unmitigated badass and total power trip in Battlefront II. Got some of my best scores with him!

Untitled

Nice! By skipping the animated shows, you'll be able to run Andor right into Rogue One, too.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger Huh, I had no idea about the whole Vader prototype thing. It just all seemed a bit weird when you stopped to think too much about it.

And yes, I’m looking forward to watching Rogue One again on something that isn’t a six inch aeroplane screen.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

I'll admit, this week's The Bad Batch coasted a bit. There were some nice character moments, and it was clearly doing some contextual groundwork for Omega that'll make sense come the payoff, but for the first time this season I was a little underwhelmed. Still, it was real cool to hear Yuri Lowenthal (Insomniac's Spidey) in the Star Wars universe. I thought Ben Schwartz was gonna be the best casting surprise!

I'm equally disappointed that the new soundtrack for the season's first half isn't available for purchase, and is only available via streaming subscription. You can buy it in America, but not here, apparently. D'oh.

Fast forward a couple weeks and I'm sure everything'll be back to its usual brilliance!

Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 It sucks it's so far off but I want them to take all the time they need to get it right. If they can end this to the same standard it could become one of my all time favourite shows. The more time there is the more I worry about budget cuts or interference though.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

LN78

@BearsEatBeets According to the article I linked to, they are working under a timetable very similar to that for Season 1 - but I couldn't agree with you more - if it means the quality remains the same, then the Gilroys should take all the time they need. Studio interference is a concern, though. The last thing this show needs is to be stuffed full of trailer friendly member-berries to pull in the crowds. Leave that crap to "The Mandalorian".

LN78

Thrillho

I finally got round to watching Solo over the weekend and thought it was good fun but a fairly safe film overall.

Ehrenreich did a good job as Solo himself and Glover steals the show as young Lando. The rest of the cast are decent enough too and Harrelson is also a very safe bet in his role too.

The character of Qi’ra is a bit of an odd one as there’s obviously a lot of her character going on elsewhere but it felt a bit confusing here. And that was the one slight problem with the film in that it felt t had to crowbar in a lot of lore around Hans’ character. Meeting Chewie was fun, if a little forced, but then bits like how he got his name were a bit cringey.

An enjoyable enough film but nowt special.

Thrillho

LN78

@Thrillho I'd absolutely kill to see the footage from the scrapped Lord and Miller version - I suspect that they would've played the naming scene (and quite a few other moments) strictly for laughs. Overall the movie reminded me of the prologue "Young Indy" scene from "Last Crusade" stretched out to feature length. I disagree with you a little about Ehrenreich though - he seemed to me to be channeling a young Dennis Quaid, which was an odd choice given the character he was playing!

LN78

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Yeah, it harms the film itself, but it's kinda obvious that Qi'ra was being positioned for enigmatic cameos across several shows and / or movies and that, when the box office bombed, all those plans got quietly shelved (or delayed; you never know).

You're right, though, there's a lot of fun throughout and the cast are reliable. If the planned Lando show doesn't star Billy Dee Williams, then Donald Glover will make a great substitute.

Great soundtrack, too. One of my favourites from the entire franchise, which is saying something.

Am real glad you enjoyed it, all things considered! Onwards with Obi-Wan, then?

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@LN78 I he played the role fine. It may not have been as enigmatic/charismatic as the original films but I think that’s fine as he isn’t that guy yet but it’s probably easier to do that when you’re not the centre stage for the whole film.

@RogerRoger I googled the character today and it seems there is a lot of story for her buried in different series of comics but it would seem strange to have Emilia Clarke take on the role to never see her again.

And yes, I suppose Obi Wan is up next after I’ve finished up the non-Star Wars series I’m currently on.

Thrillho

LN78

@Thrillho "Fine" is probably how I'd describe the performance (and the actor was great in "Hail Caesar") but I just didn't believe for a single second that he was going to become the Han that we saw in "ANH". It was much the same problem that Chris Pine et al had in the rebooted "Trek" movies - some characters are just so synonymous with their original actors that recasting them becomes a fool's errand. Good luck with "Obi-Wan" - from what I've heard it's all the kinds of garbage.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Thrillho

@LN78 I guess for me I don’t want them to copy them too much and end up becoming a caricature of them or just doing a bad impersonation.

Picking up some mannerisms etc where possible is cool but I’m happy for them to do their own thing to a point.

And yeah, I’ve not heard great things about Obi Wan but I’m more than happy to see how it goes.

Thrillho

LN78

@Thrillho I'm not saying it can never work - De Niro's portrayal of young Vito in "The Godfather Part II" is outstanding, for example but then he's Robert De Niro and believability in the role was all about the mannerisms (from Brando in the earlier film) that you mentioned. Han Solo wasn't really a part that was on the page (cocky pirate with a heart of gold) so everything memorable about him was derived (in the most part) from Ford's star charisma - and unfortunately for Alden he's no Harrison Ford.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

MightyDemon82

I'm Hoping to fit the NJO into my reading schedule this year. Been on my shelves for years. Only got about 4 books in before I took a full-time interest in the opposite sex!

MightyDemon82

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Oh, she's in the comics, is she? The one area of Star Wars canon I don't keep current with. At least they've been able to find a home for her, and continue her planned arc in some fashion. It's pretty surprising that they never circled back around to her again, considering who she spoke with at the end.

@MightyDemon82 I've heard average-to-good things about those books. Think you'll start over to refresh your memory, or just pick up from where you dropped 'em?

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic