Forums

Topic: Dex's Diner - The Star Wars Topic

Posts 741 to 760 of 810

Thrillho

@RogerRoger yeah, wookiepedia seems to say the character featured in “War of the Bounty Hunters” series with most references being made to those, plus one episode of a “Forces of Destiny” short on YouTube.

Thrillho

MightyDemon82

@RogerRoger Oh definitely start over. It's probably been 20 years or more since I last read them. My love for Star Wars hit at the age I was starting to hit the pubs and date, as well as other life stuff. Before you know it your settled down and over 40 and pubs are no longer a weekly thing. So plenty time to read and not have hangovers 😂.

MightyDemon82

RogerRoger

@Thrillho From what I gather, everybody's showed up in a Forces of Destiny short but hey, at least it's a something for those who liked her character, I suppose!

@MightyDemon82 Congratulations on making it to middle age, buddy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Thrillho So yeah, over in the general TV topic...

...I was referring to The Book of Boba Fett, which should've been marketed as The Mandalorian 2.5 and is essential viewing ahead of Season Three.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger That's a shame as I've not watched that show and have little intention to either, as I've heard mainly negative stuff about it. Not that I've got any plans to resub to Disney+ any time soon, but if I were season 3 of The Mandalorian would be on my watch list.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

Just beat Jedi Fallen Order. The ending was downright offensive. These devs know how to kill my hype for the second game instantly.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I'd always encourage folks to make up their own minds about shows, films, games, etc. but if you're dead against watching the whole thing...

...know that you could probably just watch its last three chapters by themselves and be okay, as they're the ones that're basically Mando S3 episodes shown early. Doing so would trim a seven-hour undertaking down to the equivalent runtime of a movie.

Of course, future Mando episodes or seasons could bring anything (or anybody) back, and everything is closely connected, but that's a known-unknown at this point. For now, the above would work.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Kidfried wrote:

Just beat Jedi Fallen Order. The ending was downright offensive. These devs know how to kill my hype for the second game instantly.

Please elaborate, if you're willing and able to!

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger Ah gotcha. I just sometimes worry I’m missing post credits stuff on streaming services at times as they normally try to move you on before the credits have even started to roll.

Thrillho

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Probably a very subjective matter, but I felt a little cheated when Kal destroyed the Holocron. Couldn't he have thought about that before putting the life of him self and his crew at risk for a million times? What was even the point?

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Kidfried

Also I just only finished season 1 of Mandalorian. What an amazing show, certainly one of the greats!

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Most streaming services are terrible with that kinda stuff, and it annoys me no end, but Disney+ handle it pretty well (which makes sense, given that the whole post-credits teaser trend was popularised and reinforced by the MCU). Either they won't reduce the screen to a small window until after the post-credits scene as played, or they'll give you a "Skip Credits" prompt.

@Kidfried First up, real glad you're enjoying The Mandalorian thusfar, and hope you're able to say the same after its second season, too!

With regards Jedi: Fallen Order and its ending...

...you're not alone in feeling a lil' cheated by Cal's decision to destroy the holocron. Plenty of folks felt that it undercut the entire point of the game, and the quest of the Mantis crew. Whilst I personally disagree (the objective was to ensure that the children weren't found by the Empire and turned into Inquisitors; destroying the holocron achieved that, in a smarter and less arrogant way than Cal and Cere had originally planned, which is the whole point of their personal journeys... "trust only in the Force" an' all that jazz) I can understand how sudden it might feel, and how it could come across as somewhat of a hollow victory. You're also right, though, that the promise of a sequel in which Cal and Cere try to establish a secret Jedi academy under the Empire's nose could've made for a cool premise. It'll be interesting to see what we get instead.

Thanks for replying. Sorry it didn't hit the right note for you! Reckon you'll get the platinum anyway?

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger

I think the game states very clearly during all of the game that the objective is to use the list to rebuild the Jedi order.

Now, I think destroying the list makes sense, but that's something that made sense from the start of the game and wasn't mentioned at all. Yes, the night sister mentions it at about 90% of the game, but her remarks are simply ignored by the rest of the team. So yes, from a storytelling point I think that wasn't well done. By making it so sudden they were going for a "OH YOU DIDNT SEE THIS MOMENT COMING", but to the player that moment feels cheated, because the game very clearly chose to ignore the moral ramifications throughout the game. It maddens me a bit.

I think the game could have used this plot point to signify Kal's personal growth. To make him slowly more doubtful about their mission and discuss their mission with the rest of the crew. And then at the end the destruction would feel satisfying. But instead the game has constantly tried to convince me it's a great idea, and the main character only got more convicted during the game, all of that to fool the player into a pre-credits twist.

And maybe what makes it hard for me to relate to the story is I have no clue what the game means with "trust only the force". It sounds a bit like "trust in faith", but that's... I mean, it sounds like the opposite of Star Wars, which is about standing up to evil. So, maybe there's something there I just don't understand yet!

And yes, I will probably still try to get that platinum. Even though I will have to grind a lot for those perfect dodges.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Kidfried

Oh, and I don't want to come off to negative. And maybe a lot about my opinion about Jedi Fallen Order is informed by how great I think the Mandalorian is. The whole first seasons is very close to perfection for me.

The characters in that series are so subtle, and their development is so believable. And the series sometimes only needs an hour to set up a character, have it star in an adventure, and learned something at the end of an episode. It's compact, easily understandable and oh so satisfying.

Also the series is just so great in adding to Star Wars lore. By creating new stories in places we already know, or by how it shaped the bounty hunters guild, it adds so much to the Star Wars story that makes sense, without being too reliant on what's done before.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried You're not coming across as negative at all, just honest. And I do agree that the game's storytelling assumes a lil' too much at times, particularly that players will all possess a deep knowledge of the whole Star Wars mythos, and it relies on that to fill a few gaps. I'm grateful for your expanded reply because, like I said, I'd seen others make a similar criticism, but only in passing. It's interesting for me to think about all this stuff, considering I went along in full agreement with the story (or rather, its ending).

I think you're right, I think between Cal's dark vision of his failure (after which Trilla steals the holocron) and the finale at Fortress Inquisitorius, there should have been a bit more for him and the Mantis crew to unpack. The knighting ceremony confidence boost is sweet an' all, but it doesn't cover what you (rightly) found lacking. Running head-long into the lion's den is heroic and whatnot, but it's also a lot to do on a whim that eventually proved so changeable. Perhaps the sequel will address this somehow?

Thanks again for explaining your thoughts! This is cool to think about ahead of next month. Best of luck hunting that platinum! It isn't too arduous, that combat grind aside. Definitely set about gathering the other trophies first, as you'll find plenty of perfect dodge opportunities along the way.

And I obviously 100% agree with your Mando praise, too! Am so glad it's working for you!

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

I finished off Obi-Wan Kenobi the other day and it’s fair to say it’s a mixed bag.

If you can turn your brain off and enjoy it for what it is, then it’s great fun! Ewan McGregor seems to be more comfortable in the role and makes a good lead, while the girl playing Leia I thought was great too.

There’s plenty of fan service to link to films 1-3 and 4-6, but without feeling as tied down to lore as Solo did for instance, and lots of familiar faces from across the films. It was great to see the Inquisitors as I’d only come across them in Fallen Order before. The fairly simple story works well so it never gets too complicated or convoluted either and there are also some of the best fight scenes I’ve seen from the franchise.

However…

There really is a lot of nonsense Reva is a good character but her motivations and decisions are just downright weird. And what is with every character’s reluctance to keep killing each other (or making miraculous recoveries from fatal injuries)??

Then you have bizarre scenes and decision making, one I remember most was Ben and Leia needing to get past a laser barrier. Instead of just walking around it they have to blow it up. Why?? And as god as the character of Reva was, I’m still not sure whether the actress playing her was that good.

Overall, I think it was an impressive series, so long as you can turn your brain off when watching it.

Thrillho

LN78

@Thrillho Hmmm. I can't turn my brain off, nor would I want to - the minor gripes (particularly the continuity dictated recoveries and survivals) you pointed out would have me tearing my hair out in frustration. Glad I gave the show a miss, but glad you got something out of it.

LN78

Elodin

@Thrillho I was a fan of the show. Most likely due to Vader's involvement. Kenobi as a show is not my favorite, but a solid take on his past. I wish they would have followed John Jackson Miller's Kenobi story line. They still could I guess. It would just be a prequel to this show. As for your take on dead not dead characters, unfortunately that is a common theme in the Star Wars Universe. I believe the rise of Skywalker did it the most. Chewbacca, Kylo, and even the Emperor.

Elodin

Thrillho

@LN78 It was fun enough but even I started thinking it was getting a bit silly/tenuous at times. Seeing as how much money they threw at it, you’d think they’d manage to spend a little more on the writing team!

@Elodin I haven’t seen films 8&9 but can see why they clearly couldn’t kill Vader off etc but it did get a bit silly having a “fight to the death” where you knew neither could die but someone still had to win. Reva taking a lightsaber through the chest and then sprinting through the desert was a bit too much of a leap of imagination though.

Thrillho

LN78

@Thrillho I think you're 100% right - when you have scenes like the one you mentioned with the laser barrier (or the other one that got meme'd to death with Obi-Wan escaping by hiding Leia under a trench coat) it comes across as either the producers being complacent/incompetent or actually having contempt for their audience.

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic