Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 2,454

Thrillho

@Ralizah Congratulations on being in the only country who would consider our leaders competent!

Thrillho

zupertramp

"Don't be afraid of Covid"

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

@kyleforrester87 If Trump's general advice was anywhere near "use common sense" I might agree.

But it's not.

Bad-faith argument incoming in 3... 2... 1...

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

Like I put on sunscreen to mow the lawn today because I'm in South Texas and I'm as white as the driven snow... Oh why oh why do I let skin cancer dominate my life?!

Ralizah

Yeah. In isolation, advising people to not let covid "dominate your life" sounds fine, but it becomes pure evil when the person saying this contradicts public health officials, mocks people for using ppe, and, in general, dishonors the dead and endangers the living by playing down the risks of an out-of-control pandemic.

Especially when the only reason he's likely even doing as well as he is is due to him having access to the very best possible healthcare, a luxury the vast majority of people in this country literally cannot afford.

Of course, I'm not at all surprised. It was inevitable he'd go full Bolsonaro with this to preserve his image and protect his fragile ego. Better to put millions of lives at risk than to admit you were wrong on something.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

zupertramp

@Ralizah And we again find ourselves in the paradoxical situation where the virus is said to be very near harmless but Trump is to be heralded as some indomitable pugilist for having beat it.

R1spam

Don't know if Trumo is out the woods yet, seen the videos of him struggling to breath during his photo op? Day 7-10 of infection is pretty pivotal and in the absence of monoclonal therapies or steriods is when people either pulled through or deteriorated. He's still got a way to go before he can spout all the bloody bs that he's coming out with at the moment. Disrespectful to those who have died, particularly those who didn't have access to healthcare.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

Ralizah

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2020/10/06/trump-bid...

Another Trump aide has it, lol!

If Biden wins, they're going to need to fumigate the white house for a month after kicking these fascist plague rats out.

@R1spam

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/10/05/trump-defeats...

RIP to all the chumps who preorder $100 "Trumps defeats COVID" coins if he kicks the bucket or something. I might buy one when they're at peak devaluation for the ironic appeal, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah That Trump coin reminds me of when my uncle bought my auntie a ‘future wife of Tom Daley’ keychain... a week after he came out. Apparently it was on sale on Amazon.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett Was it a gag gift? I always found merch like that weird, but then, I never really got famous person worship in the first place.

I recall this administration selling coins commemorating the North Korean "peace talks," too. And we all remember how Kim Jong Un opened up his country to the world and reunited the split Korean peninsula.

nessisonett

Looks like it’s Lockdown 2: Electric Boogaloo up here. All pubs and restaurants closed and cafés without an alcohol license have to close at 6. Loads of other restrictions too. It’s almost as if actually using common sense would mean that these measures wouldn’t be needed but hey, the public are absolute morons, as shown daily. All of this would be avoided if people just wore masks correctly, adhered to social distancing and avoided unnecessary contact.

Octane

@nessisonett Yeah, same over here. Pubs need to close at 10, but aren't allowed to let anyone in after 9. Kebab shops are allowed to stay open until 2, but aren't allowed to sell alcohol after 10. And now stores are also banned from selling alcohol after 10, after people were queueing in hordes after 10 to get more. Madness. But who couldn't have predicted that?

Octane

nessisonett

@Octane My brother’s now back onto the furlough payments because he works as a waiter... which ends this month. The public fail to recognise that these restrictions wouldn’t need to be in place if they just used a bit of bloody common sense and didn’t gather in large groups and spread the virus. It’s infuriating just how incredibly stupid people are being.

R1spam

@nessisonett nevermind, a Scottish youth of drinking alcohol furtively in public outdoor spaces should stand us in good stead for the coming months! Hope there is some form of furlough extension for the entertainment and catering industries but even if there is, it likely won't take into account that October holidays is a proportionally more lucrative time of year for these industries. I'm going to a Michelin star restaurant at the weekend, am I going to have to drink my chardonnay in the car park after I'm finished the meal like it was a bottle of buckie?! I'm torn though as from what I've seen, common sense is so arbitrary between individuals and is a common mechanism for state to absolve itself of responsibility (see any historical arguments about degree of taxation on tobacco as a classic example).
@Ralizah thats a fantastic coin! Who buys these things for real? Reminds me of the royal mint ones we get in the UK to commemorate some royal non-event.

XBOX: Placebo G

nessisonett

@R1spam I have to admit, I did get paid today and did pop into the offie and grab a bottle of Buckie and MD. Might as well die of liver failure rather than Covid, at least it’s a fun way to go. These rules are pretty silly and filled with holes but I’d still take it over completely nothing as long as a few people listen.

nessisonett

@R1spam The blue MD which tastes of... blue. I wonder why blue drinks all taste absolutely the same. I think it’s blue raspberry.

zupertramp

Not sure I see the logic in scapegoating alcohol. I suppose some restrictions are better than no restrictions but still, this thing where we go after the bars is a little silly.

Edited on by zupertramp

Sorry, this topic has been locked.