Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 2,454

Gremio108

@RogerRoger I lived a couple of doors down from a gun shop in when I lived in Preston. It never seemed to get that much custom though, thankfully.

One of the guys off my uni course popped in one day out of curiosity to see if they would let him buy a gun without a licence. They didn't. He almost managed to convince them to sell him a small sword though.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

@Gremio108 I really hope you mean Preston as in the north of England because the idea of a gun shop with added short swords is hilarious in a town like that.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Gremio108

@nessisonett Yep that's the one. Don't know if it's still there. I'd google it but I don't want to end up on a watched list

Gremio108

@nessisonett Scratch that, just looked it up. It's still going apparently. I eagerly await my free rifle for the plug I've just given them on here. Even though I didn't name them.

RogerRoger

@mookysam @Gremio108 Odd, I was under the impression they'd all died out. I should alter my previous post to saying that we don't have "many" gun stores in the UK, then!

Plenty of sword shops, mind. Providing they're not particularly fast-moving zombies, I think we'd be okay.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger One can buy a gun and ammo (of the hunting variety anyways) at Walmart here in the States. Not to mention the ubiquitous Gun Shops, Gun Shows, and other retailers, large and small, which sell them. Many athletic / ‘sports and outdoors’ shops have guns in their hunting and fishing departments. I think handguns are limited to actual gun shops — I don’t know, never bought one, but you don’t have to look hard to find a store. When the zombie apocalypse hits, we have some options, so if Gremio’s Gun Shop (hey, I like the sound of that) is insufficient, come on over! 😄

Strangely, I think swords are a little harder to find and much more of a niche market. I’m unsure of their legality, and it varies by state, but I think there are limits. Seems like it’s illegal to carry them but you can own one if it’s considered decorative and stays in your house. I’ve always wanted a big broadsword to hang above the mantle, but they are really rare and I’ve only ever seen some at a specialty knife and cutlery store.

When I was a kid, one of the shops I loved to go to had throwing stars that I’d enjoy gawking at through the glass display case. I can’t find those now either. I think there’s some irony in the regulation and distribution of something as innocuous as a throwing star or bladed contraband vs a shotgun, but I digress. The point is, if real life becomes The Last of Us Part III, then we gamers are set and have a leg up as our whole lives have been training for that moment. Unless zombies figure out a way to wield a shotgun or a Scottish Claymore, in which case we’re all in big trouble.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution I reckon the laws must be pretty lax in the UK when it comes to decorative swords, my pal has a huge claymore on his wall and it’s sharp af.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@nessisonett Stay friends with him, for sure. Sounds like he’s going to be a good ally when it all comes down.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

Well this thread has turned the corner into Strange Street.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Just to be serious for a second, sword and blade laws in the UK are very strict and all forms of functional swords are very much illegal. Only prop swords and certain types of culturally-significant weapons crafted before 1958 (if memory serves) are permissible, and even then you're supposed to have a licence proving their use for historical recreation or some such nonsense.

It's just laughable how unenforced that law really is, across many parts of the country. Heck, you're not even supposed to be able to buy kitchen knives until you're 18 (or 16 in Scotland) but I'm pretty sure I've never seen appropriate signage up anywhere in John Lewis.

@Th3solution Nobody ever said the law had to be consistent, right?

Funny you should mention throwing stars. An old colleague of mine used to refer to them as "death stars" and so you can imagine all the nerdy jokes I had at his expense whenever he brought them up.

So let's not add them to our post-apocalyptic arsenal. I don't wanna die laughing!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I’m sure Lucasfilm and Disney has lawyers knocking down the door every time he starts discussing ninja weapons, but that’s a very catchy (if incorrect) label.

But yes, for other reasons as well — throwing stars (or “shuriken” google tells me is the official name) would be a poor apocalypse weapon. Physics and logic would argue that popular movies and video games drastically overstate their effectiveness. The average zombie in the apocalypse is sure to be undeterred. 😂

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Especially when you realise that, in real life, holding your arm back in preparation for a throw doesn't make a targeting arc appear in front of you.

Suddenly all your confidence just evaporates and you're left with some small, spikey drinks coasters.

Making It So Since 1987

Rudy_Manchego

@RogerRoger Fun fact, many years ago when I worked in retail I remember having to ID people buying knives. The till prompted you and you could get fined if you sold them without ID'ing people.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

mookysam

@Rudy_Manchego I was quite flattered when an Amazon delivery man recently requested my ID. It's been some years since I was 18 and most days I actually look rather haggard.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@Rudy_Manchego @QualityGeezer Faith in humanity (slightly) restored. Shame it isn't more of a visible deterrent, but I'm glad there's at least one check in place!

Making It So Since 1987

kyleforrester87

I got ID'ed a few months ago, I took my hat off and just looked at him and he was like ah jeeez...ok, sorry old boy.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Rudy_Manchego

@mookysam Alas those days are behind me... I feel more likely to get asked if I OAP discount.

@QualityGeezer @RogerRoger Yep - regardless of age you had to ask to make sure. I assume that is why I have never been stabbed.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

themcnoisy

Okay so there is now a corona virus cure.

Time to get my snake flavoured bat stew with civet cat coffee on the go again.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Gremio108

@themcnoisy I thought the virus could be killed by using Dettol? I've just drunk a litre of the stuff, so I'm expecting to feel right as rain very shortly

Sorry, this topic has been locked.