Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 2,454

Rudy_Manchego

@Gremio108 That does work but boy oh boy does your pee burn on the way out. That said, you don't need to clean the toilet afterwards so win win.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

themcnoisy

@Gremio108 no Dettol does not work. One of the coronavirus victims tried to down a bottle and it actually sped up the virus and he died within 10 minutes of drinking the Dettol.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@DonJorginho sorry Don that was a joke.

Dettol have been involved in an online Conspiracy theory as the label states it kills coronavirus, before the coronavirus even happened! Look it up and go down the rabbit hole.

https://fullfact.org/online/dettol-coronavirus/

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Gremio108

@themcnoisy So Dettol doesn't kill it? Damn, I've just ordered 5,000 bottles as well

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

Can we get back on the subject of the zombie apocalypse? That was more interesting than anything happening in real life.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ryall

Destroying organic material is never a problem bleach will do it an autoclave will do it. The problem with ingesting poisons is that they will kill you as well as a virus.

Ryall

RR529

I'll admit that I'm absolutely terrified.

Apparently Tencent (who is tracking the official numbers for some reason) had the numbers at about 24,000 infected/400 dead a few days ago, but the numbers briefly jumped to about 157,000 infected/24,000 dead for a few moments before being corrected.

Supposedly it's the third time their tracker did that, and some people are beginning to speculate that those are the real numbers, and that the Chinese government is hiding it (if correct, the mortality rate would be much higher than the 2-3% currently reported, closer to 15-16%).

Granted, I understand there are lots of conspiracy theorists & alarmists out there, so I'm trying to keep a level head, but I get nervous whenever I see an article on a place like Yahoo showing that they've locked down Wuhan (and Beijing, as per an article I saw today) to the point of being ghost towns, and you can imagine why some would be skeptical that they would do that for a disease with a 97-98% survival rate.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@RR529 Given that the exact infected number became the death toll during that jump, it's more likely a formatting glitch when somebody's updating parameters or inputting new data.

And that's kinda the blessing and curse of all this modern technology. Humans get things wrong, but now we have humans using software and hardware which itself isn't perfect either, and using it in an ever-developing crisis. Mistakes are gonna be made. Errors are gonna happen. The problem is that, with such a high-profile international situation, you then have the conspiracy theorists and "there's no news like bad news" media jumping on every tiny detail and making it a headline.

Chinese containment procedures are beyond strict, perhaps even moreso than any others we've seen deployed before. When viewed from another culture, their methods may seem dispassionate to the point of cruel, but this is an authoritarian state we're looking at here (one still shrouded in secrecy, and determined to protect its image at all costs).

If this virus really does have a 16% mortality rate, then you wouldn't see ghost towns. You'd see burning rubble. Except you wouldn't see it at all, because they'd lock it down even tighter.

Take it from somebody who used to do this kinda thing for a living; please don't be terrified. Just be sensible. Practice good personal hygiene, keep yourself as healthy as possible and listen to the advice of your local medical professionals (if they're putting out any).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RR529

@RogerRoger, while I do agree it was probably a glitch, the real infection number and the glitched death total weren't exactly the same (just in the same ballpark).

I just hope they're able to slow it well enough until a vaccine is completed, or at least until they learn it well enough to put in place more effective treatments.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@RR529 In general, the sensationalized news items the media likes to scare people with are usually much less of a threat than far more mundane realities. Considering the 30,000+ people killed by the flu in 2018 - 2019 in the United States, for example, I'd say you're far more likely to perish from something like that. Do you drive, or get driven places? Because tens of thousands more people die in vehicle accidents each year in the U.S. than die of the flu. How's your heart health? Because heart disease slays roughly 647,000 people in the U.S. every year, and heart attack victims have about a 14% mortality rate.

Rape isn't uncommon, but it's much more likely to be someone a person knows and trusts than a random stranger. You're far more likely to be targeted by home-grown nuts than Islamic radicals (although the possibility of being killed in a mass shooting or terror attack is also exceedingly slim; and I say that as someone who was very nearly deeply affected by the Aurora, Colorado theater shooting).

Yet I don't see a ton of people fretting about the possibility of white supremacist terror attacks, heart disease, or riding in cars in my day to day life.

Rest easy. While the world has devised millions of devious ways to rob you of your life, unless you've traveled to China recently, it's really unlikely to be the coronavirus.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Thrillho

@Ralizah Was that supposed to make @RR529 feel better??

As for a vaccine, even if it is produced at an unprecedented speed, it could still be 6 months or so. And as a virus, it could mutate enough to render it fairly useless anyway. The normal flu vaccine is just a best guess of which strains are likely to be the most prevalent that year so a different strain coming to the fore or a mutation can make it a bit pointless (but still important for the groups it is aimed at).

Thrillho

kyleforrester87

Indeed, the fear of zombie attacks is high. That doesn't mean a zombie attack is going to happen. But, it's right to be fearful of a zombie attack because...zombies are bloody scary. More scary than crossing a road.

So by all means be more fearful of Coronavirus killing you than a heart attack, even if it's less likely

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

It's time to panic folks. The Corona virus might delay production of the next gen consoles. That is real life hardship all rolled up in a ball for you.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Now that is something to panic about.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Would this be the first time a next gen console has been delayed? 🤔

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I don’t know, but perhaps this is why Sony is keeping its cards so close to the chest.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Sorry, this topic has been locked.