Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 521 to 540 of 882

Tasuki

Reading Tal' Dorei Reborn Campaign Setting for 5th Edition D&D. I got it as a Christmas gift and been reading it since. It has alot of history about the continent and I can't wait to use it here soon.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

XandertheWise

startiing off year 2023 on a good start. Currently reading Wheel of Time Crown of Swords and Dune Butlerian Jihad.

other books im reading for the rest of 2023

Wheel of Time books 8 and 9
the entire Dune Butlerian Jihad Prequel trilogy
Star Wars New Hope From a Certain Point of View
re-reading Stephen King's Under the Dome hardcover. Last i read it was back in December Christmas 2009
finish re-reading The Silmarillion
re-reading the original book series sequel to the old Willow movie

XandertheWise

Elodin

@XandertheWise I didn't know they had a willow book series. It has to be better than the new show. They made the new Willow a teenage angst series. Many shows going that direction, ruining lots of good ideas.

Elodin

Elodin

@Tasuki I have been looking through that book at work. It looks like a fun setting.

Elodin

Elodin

@MightyDemon82 Did you read the gaimans Norse mythology? It is also a great read.

Elodin

Tasuki

@Elodin It's is an interesting setting indeed. I have been running a D&D campaign taking place in Wildemount (the continent right next to Tal' Dorei) and its been alot of fun. I have the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount even but Tal' Dorei is better written and goes in more detail. Not sure if that's because of the publisher or what.

I highly recommended Tal'Dorei Reborn even if you don't play D&D and just enjoy reading about fantasy worlds. Of course if you are a fan of Critical Role or even enjoyed The Legend of Vox Machina having this book is a no brainer.

My Backlog

MightyDemon82

@Elodin I just read an older book, but I do enjoy Gaimens works so will check it out sometime.

I got a few books for Xmas like the mistborn trilogy as well as some more fantasy/science fiction. So I should be thoroughly entertained this year 😃

MightyDemon82

Elodin

@MightyDemon82 ooo mystborn trilogy is fantastic, at least the first 3. The second trilogy I just thought was ok.
@xeofate I will have to order a few. Thanks for the recommendation.
@Tasuki I might have to tell my friend to fire up the laptop and get ready for some zoom d&d. I like the setting.

Elodin

Tasuki

@Elodin That's an idea lol. My group plays a combination of being at the same table and Discord due to two of my players living in a different state. We have been doing this for about a year now and it's been alot of fun!

My Backlog

Elodin

@Tasuki nice. Discord is a great idea ill bring it up. I'm trying to coax my daughter into playing with me as DM as her boyfriend does play in his own group already. She is not into it...yet. maybe this setting will do it.

Edited on by Elodin

Elodin

Tasuki

@Elodin It can be a bit over whelming for a new player especially someone who has never played before.
However there are a few introductory adventures that you can use to introduce new players. The Lost Mines of Pandelver is a great one plus I heard the one in the In Essential Kit is another great one too. Hopefully you can find one to get her started in.

My Backlog

XandertheWise

reading 3 books currently

Star Wars New Hope From a Certain Point of View
Wheel of Time Crown of Swords
Dune Butlerian Jihad book 1 of the Butlerian Jihad Prequel Trilogy

XandertheWise

LieutenantFatman

I read a couple of books in the Eagle series by Simon Scarrow which follows the life of a roman soldier. Quite a long series, enjoying it so far. Interesting to read what life was like for them. Got quite a few other books to get stuck into though so will have to come back at some point.

LieutenantFatman

MightyDemon82

Finished Ten survival skills for a world in flux. Going to start Hyperion before I call it a night

MightyDemon82

R1spam

It's not a book I've recently read but if anyone is playing like a dragon:ishin and is digging the setting, they should check out A thousand autumn's of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell. Uses the same time period as the back setting and is an enthralling mixture period drama piece told from the perspective of a Dutch merchant and supernatural thriller. I just picked myself up to kill a mockingbird from the library today. To my shame, I've only ever watched the old movie (the fact I know who Gregory Peck makes me feel a million years old) so looking forward to checking it out!

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

MightyDemon82

@R1spam I'll put that on my to read list. I read to Kill a mockingbird a few years back. My sister in-law lent it to me, Great book funnily enough I've never seen the movie.

I've recently finished Hyperion and The Shadow Glass, Just started Surface Detail, only the Hydrogen Sonata left to complete my culture novel read through!

Edited on by MightyDemon82

MightyDemon82

Elodin

Just read Essex Dogs. Was a fun historical fiction read. Follows a group of english medieval infantry as they work there way into France during the 100 years war. I knew little of the war besides the timing. Read lots of interesting facts. It reminded me of Band of Brothers only during medieval times.

Elodin

R1spam

@MightyDemon82 I'm interested to see how the courtroom scenes read vs how the movie handled them. Its an old school black and white classic with emotion through everything. Only a couple of chapters in but the book seems better. Normally that's true of every adaptation I've watched except Nick Hornby ones, where I have enjoyed the movies more than the books! How's hyperion? It's been a while since I've read some sci-fi assed sci-fi!

XBOX: Placebo G

Zuljaras

I've just started reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone but in English as I've only read it in my language (Bulgarian). I am hoping to read some stuff that are different than the translations

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic