Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 461 to 480 of 882

Elodin

@zupertramp id second Saga as well. My favorite is the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. Also an off shoot of that Lucifer is also fantastic.

Elodin

MightyDemon82

@zupertramp The Under water welder, Green river killer, the fifth beatle, 4 kids walk into a bank and Day Tripper are a few I can see on my shelf that fit what your looking for grounded wise. They are all one and done stories rather than on going books though if that's any good to you?

MightyDemon82

zupertramp

@Elodin Yeah I've read Stardust, American Gods, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane - I have to say, I don't think Neil Gaiman is for me. Too fantastical. Just not my bag. Maybe Sandman is different? Anyway that kind of stuff is usually more my wife's thing so I'll definitely try to get her to give Saga a go.

Strangely I do love the Coraline movie though.

@MightyDemon82 cool cool, thanks. Couldn't find anything on the Under Water Welder but a couple of the others sound promising, specifically Green River Killer and Daytripper which, amusingly, is one of the least grounded it seems.

But yeah thanks.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp Good Omens is a great Gaiman book but probably more to do with Pratchett’s involvement. Perfect balance of utterly mundane English drudgery and the fantastical. The adaptation was good but the book’s definitely better.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

BowTiesAreCool

@zupertramp Black Monday Murders from Image Comics. You can probably get a copy of Volume 1 (first seven issues I think?) for less than a tenner, but it's definitely worth a shot in the dark - the less you know about it going in, the better.

BowTiesAreCool

zupertramp

@BowTiesAreCool looked it up without trying to get too much info but yeah, sounds... strange lol. Definitely add it to my potential reads. Thanks.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

PossibLeigh

I'm nearly finished with Murakami's IQ84 trilogy. Loving it, but, man, it's long. 1300 pages.

PossibLeigh

PossibLeigh

@nessisonett @zupertramp Good Omens is awesome.

As a teen, I went to a Pratchett book signing in Bristol. As I handed over my book (The Light Fantastic, if I recall) I nervously asked if there would ever be a sequal or if and Gaiman and he would write together again. Pratchett gave a very grumpy "harrumph No" and that was that. By all accounts they did not get on well. Funnily enough that incident and a separate incident with Gaiman totally put me off of ever meeting my heroes.

Pratchett was a great writer, but a bit of a grump.

PossibLeigh

nessisonett

@PossibLeigh To be fair, I think anybody reading Pratchett’s books would kinda expect him to not be one for engaging with the fans and such. If anything, his daughter is a lot better on that side of things. I always did want to meet him though.

PossibLeigh

@nessisonett Oh yes, I can totally understand it. I'd probably be exactly the same. Still, as a teen meeting a hero it was a bit deflating.

I guess I shouldn't say I 'met' Pratchett as it was just a book signing.

Gaiman was an arrogant ***** when I met him, but I think he was a bit high on his own sucess at that time (this was around Neverwhere time, but before the TV show bombed, so he was riding high on Sandman and the Neverwhere book). I've met him since and he was absolutely lovely.

Edited on by antdickens

PossibLeigh

nessisonett

@PossibLeigh Gaiman’s definitely one with a career that’s ebbed and flowed over the years. I’d imagine the massive initial success and then the show bombing probably made him mature a bit.

PossibLeigh

@nessisonett Yup, that's what I imagined too. And, to be fair, Sandman was bloody awesome. So well researched and put together.

Edited on by PossibLeigh

PossibLeigh

ellisael

I am reading this FANTASTIC booker shortlisted work by a Sri Lankan writer called A Passage North- its really well written and i found myself absolutely immersed into the book. Its by Anuk Arudpragasam. I am also reading Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates- its a national book award winner!

ellisael

Black_Swordsman

I'm currently reading Dickens' The Pickwick Papers and hope to get it finished over the Christmas period. Very amusing thus far.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

fighting_game_player

Currently reading Musashi's Book of Five Rings and The Lord of The Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. I really enjoy a good book. Though I've loved the Peter Jackson films for years this is actually the first time I'm actually reading the book!

"as I roll along I begin to find.. things aren't always just what they seem.."

Twitter:

Northern_munkey

Half way through cosmic trigger 1 by robert anton wilson..reading it on my lunch break at work..

Kick out the jams!

ralphdibny

Ive been reading Next by Michael Crichton. I was going to put it in the charity shop with a few others that have sat on my shelf for some years but I thought I'd give it a go now that I have a commute to read it on.

I'm about 1/3 through and it's decent. Haven't read any novels in many many years so took me a while to get into it. I am having moments where I sort of get lost in the fiction which is something I've struggled to do when I've tried reading recently so that's good. Like moments where you kind of snap out of it and you realise you are just reading words on the page rather than just imagining what you are reading if you get what I mean.

See ya!

MightyDemon82

@LordSteev just finished up Snow Crash, a great recommendation so thanks. Will definitely dive into more Neal Stephenson books. Next up The Three-Body Problem.

Haven't really been gaming for the last few weeks and it's refreshing to just get through book after book for a change.

MightyDemon82

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic