Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 481 to 500 of 847

sorteddan

@MightyDemon82

I am a massive Stephenson fan after randomly stumbling onto him coz I needed a hefty sci-fi something some years back. Snow Crash is great I would recommend Diamond Age next, or maybe Reamde or maybe Anathem.

(Sorry to butt in - like I said, fan boy!)

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

MightyDemon82

@Sorteddan Haha I'll just read his entire works, always great to meet more fans. No need to apologize we are all book lovers here.

MightyDemon82

R1spam

Have been reading "Shuggie Bain" by Douglas Stuart, which won the man booker prize 2020. I've been on the record before as often having an issue with media coming from Scotland being relentlessly gritty. Your first thought when someone says they are reading a novel set in Scotland is not typically to think "ooh wonder if its a rom-com". Standard portrayals are of economic deprivation, drugs, violence and crime. This book ticks all of the above with some sectarian divide 80s Glasgow thrown in for good measure. However, despite having some of those well worn tropes, it's a fascinating and achingly sad story of addiction and its effect on a family with some surprisingly funny and relatably human dialogue. I'll be upfront , some of it is harrowing and has descriptions of domestic violence and sexual abuse, its not for the faint hearted but I've been really enjoying it. Compelling stuff so far and well worth a read.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

nessisonett

@R1spam You’ve basically described exactly why I’ve been avoiding that book. I’m also pretty worn down with the relentless ‘grittiness’ of really anything set in Glasgow. I mean ok, we have our fair share of problems, but it does feel amplified to the point that any kind of positive representation is drowned out. I read quite a lot so at least hearing that the book is as good as its reputation means I might give it a go.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

R1spam

@nessisonett it just gets too much, doesn't it? Glasgow gets a disproportionate share but I'm originally from Dundee, which also typically gets hammered. I was watching the NoClip documentary about DMA designs and the GTA series when I realised that part of the reason I was enjoying it so much was seeing Dundee portrayed positively, such a breath of fresh air!

nessisonett

@R1spam My sister went to Dundee Uni so I was up there quite a bit over the last 10 years. Definitely doesn’t deserve the ‘Scum-dee’ label, it’s a lovely city even if the weather’s very windy!

nessisonett

@lolwhatno The thing to remember is that Stephen King wrote that book while on booze and cocaine. Which explains some of the plot. Just wait until you get to the famously controversial bits and then your earlier gripes will seem silly.

Elodin

In the middle of Martha Wells Murdebot series. It's fantastic! I recommend it to any sci-fi fan. It takes place in space . The main character is a security robot who just wants to hang out and watch TV series.

Elodin

LieutenantFatman

Just finished Son of a Liche, part of the Dark Profit Saga. Brilliant fantasy comedy, really enjoyed it. Not just comedy though, it tackles some hard topics without being too depressing about them. Third book should be out this year, really looking forward to it.

LieutenantFatman

MightyDemon82

@Elodin I've heard a lot of good things about the MurderBot series, I've just started The Culture series so maybe I'll look into it when I finish those.

@LieutenantFatman I'll look into that always up for some fantasy. Would you class it as grim dark or not quite in that vein?

MightyDemon82

LieutenantFatman

@MightyDemon82
I wouldn't say it's quite grim dark. It takes the d&d or video game system where heroes have to be a certain level to be able to take on a particular quest and then puts that into a living, breathing world. It's very cleverly written.

All the protagonist characters are very believable with their flaws and skeletons in the closest they'd rather forget about. And of course with this hero rank system in place, there are those who always seek to exploit and manipulate the situation to their own ends.

LieutenantFatman

MightyDemon82

@LieutenantFatman you have piqued my interest even further with that explanation. Will keep a note of the series and hopefully get to it this year.

As I'm turning 40 this year I've set myself a goal of reading a minimum of 40 books, if I can surpass that I'll be chuffed but no doubt the years line up of games will interfere!

MightyDemon82

LieutenantFatman

@MightyDemon82
I'm not to far behind you on the age thing. That's a decent number of books, I tend to read during my lunch break at work. Keeps progress at a decent rate, great way to switch off for a short while during a hard day.

LieutenantFatman

MightyDemon82

@LieutenantFatman yes, reading during any breaks at work is a great way to get through them and like you say a nice way to switch off for a bit before jumping back in to work.

MightyDemon82

nessisonett

Victor Hugo needs to get to the bloody point. Hundreds of pages into Les Miserables and 90% of it is utterly superfluous. I also finished A Little Life the other day there. The most unflinchingly depressing book I’ve ever read. Hauntingly horrible at every turn. Lord knows how I made it to the end. Ironically given the subject matter, my relationship with that book was almost abusive, as it throws overwhelming energy-draining grimness at you for pages upon pages yet I kept going back to it. If I’m being honest, it’s probably negatively affected my mental health in the end. Definitely a book I’d lock away in a cupboard with a big sign saying DO NOT READ. If you ever start a book club, assign that book if you want to end it.

Thrillho

@MightyDemon82 I hope you enjoy the Culture books!

I’ve read most of them now and they are (mostly) fantastic. I love how Banks created the universe and focuses on so many different aspects of it across different times so it’s not all about super high tech intergalactic warfare.

Surface Detail is his magnum opus in my opinion. I was thinking of a re-read of Consider, Phlebas as my next book as it goes.

As for me, this year I’ve read Ranulph Fiennes’ biography of Ernest Shackleton which was really good (his biography of Capt Scott is also really good, as is his own autobiography) and I’m currently in the middle of “The Importance of Being Interested” by Robin Ince which has been an interesting look at broad scientific topics (mostly physics) but from an almost philosophical point of view.

Thrillho

R1spam

@nessisonett noted about little lies! The premise really interests me in the following of friends over the years. Particularly as someone who's getting on a bit, I know the friends I've had for the last couple of decades have truly seen some ***** and I've been right there with them. I've nearly picked it up a couple of times but given that review, I might stay well clear!!

RogerRoger

Started reading the Miles Morales prequel novel earlier, and am quite pleased that the author is gonna be contributing to Spider-Man 2 because she represents Miles' character pretty well.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

PhhhCough

Finished within the last two months
Infinite
Infinite²
Book one and two of An Outcast In Another World
On book four of Backyard Spaceship
Wild Cards

PhhhCough

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic