Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 421 to 440 of 898

MightyDemon82

@LieutenantFatman I read Captain Bluebear many years ago and enjoyed it immensely, I remember not being able to track down his other books at the time so maybe it's time to get looking again. On holiday this week so hoping to get through several books and games!

MightyDemon82

LieutenantFatman

@MightyDemon82
It was great wasn't it? Love the unique style of the author, he really knows how to entertain. Should be easy enough to get hold of a few of them now, I didn't have any trouble.

LieutenantFatman

Black_Swordsman

I'm currently reading through my copy of the complete and unabridged works of James Thurber, as recommended on the TV programme by none other than Dr. Frasier Crane. @Jimmer-jammer Do you read? Reading anything good right now?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I haven’t actually read any James Thurber though I have a huge appreciation for both short stories and Frasier! I love reading. Recently wrapped ‘Joe Gollum and the Drowning City’ by Mike Mignola and am about halfway through ‘The Ocean at the End of the Lane‘ by Neil Gaiman. It’s been a wonderfully brisk and breezy supernatural double play.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I used to love the Sandman by Gaiman, have you read that as well? My favourite was 'Endless Nights' perfect return to form. Mike Mignola did Hellboy as well, did he not? I thought the first film was good but not as dark as the original graphic novels. Too much Hollywood humour.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman yeah I like Sandman though I’m not well versed enough to have a very fleshed out opinion. I also have not read Endless Nights. Yes, Mignola is responsible for Hellboy. I enjoyed both of the Del Toro flicks but couldn’t be bothered to see the newest one. What do you think of Thurber thus far?

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I think Thurber is very amusing, but, of his time. I don't think fans of things like Curb Your Enthusiasm would find him amusing unless they are willing to be open-minded and a little bit nostalgic. Do you like Curb? Feel free to respond in The TV Show Thread as it might derail things here!

nessisonett

@lolwhatno I read them back when I was in high school out the school library. I quite enjoyed them but they were pretty depressing. I probably preferred Charlie Higson’s Young Bond books but I’m a massive fan of The Fast Show so I’ll read anything he writes.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

Finished Consider Phlebas last week and overall I thought it was very good... the final chapters didn't quite hit the mark for me though. The actual ending was decent though with a suitably downbeat ending to reflect the nature of the stupidity of the Galactic War raging on as a backdrop to the story.

Started Look to Windward next... it wasn't the next book written in the Culture 'series' but I've been told that it is somewhat of a pseudo-sequel to CP.

**** DLC!

HUMPERDOO

I'm nearing the end of Ant Kind, the debut novel from Charlie Kaufman, which has been exactly as crazy/weird/funny/poignant/philosophical as you might expect. It's almost impossible to describe, but I really recommend it to anyone who's a fan of his films. An elevator pitch might describe it as Synecdoche New York meets A Confederacy of Dunces meets Anthony Burgess' Enderby Trilogy meets Marx Brothers. It's as happy going high-brow as it is lamping you with dumb puns and slapstick tomfoolery. There's existentialism, science fiction, horror, social commentary, political commentary, film criticism... Just so many aspects all working in tandem. It's been a such long time since I read and enjoyed something this unique.

HUMPERDOO

Thrillho

@colonelkilgore I don’t think I’ve read “Windward” but most of the Culture series are a great read and don’t really require you to have read the others (it just helps to have an understanding of the Culture universe as a whole).

Thrillho

colonelkilgore

@Thrillho I had every intention of reading them in release order but the fact that I was informed that this one had some kind of relation to CP swung it for me... didn't wanna be in a situation where, when I finally got to LtWW that I'd forgotten the vast majority of what went on in CP.

Only on Chapter 3 atm but Chapter 2 has well and truly sunk its hooks in... seems interesting.

**** DLC!

urrutiap

book i just started re-reading for the 2nd time is Dune Messiah

urrutiap

M0rriss

The Deep by Alma Katsu
So far, it's not even bad

M0rriss

Rondoooo9

1776 - David McCullough.

Wonderful so far. Pieces the events together as a story. Washington and his army, having earned my respect before reading, have garnered even more since.

Rondoooo9

Spaldy

@urrutiap I literally just finished that yesterday. I've started the Dune Sequence for the first time in prep for the movie. I was less impressed by this compared to the original which I found to be an epic adventure. Messiah was mostly a lot of chapters full of people discussing politics in rooms. I'm hoping Children of Dune improves things.

I'm taking a break from that at the moment though to start Star Wars: The High Republic: Light of the Jedi.

I'm also making my way through Sandman (not sure if there's a comic book thread for that).

Dark mode or go home.

urrutiap

Sanndman I assume you mean NNeil Gaiman's Sandman? Funny you mention that since I just started reading his novel Neverwhere.

as for the new Star Wars High Republic, I just got the hardcover of the book from Walmart couple of weeks ago. I should start reading that too besides reading Neverwhere

Spaldy wrote:

@urrutiap I literally just finished that yesterday. I've started the Dune Sequence for the first time in prep for the movie. I was less impressed by this compared to the original which I found to be an epic adventure. Messiah was mostly a lot of chapters full of people discussing politics in rooms. I'm hoping Children of Dune improves things.

I'm taking a break from that at the moment though to start Star Wars: The High Republic: Light of the Jedi.

I'm also making my way through Sandman (not sure if there's a comic book thread for that).

urrutiap

Spaldy

@urrutiap yes, Neil Gaiman's Sandman. I haven't read them since college when I borrowed them from the library but I recently began collecting graphic novels so I'm looking to complete the Sandman set. Only on Vol 2 at the moment.

Dark mode or go home.

M0rriss

Battle Ground by Jim Butcher

M0rriss

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic