Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 281 to 300 of 345

katamariUK

Possible spoilers for the Biome 3 boss and potential game breaking bug.

I had a pretty bad bug last night on the Biome 3 boss (Nemesis). I had fought and died against it before so I knew what to do this time and I had 5 healing items with me to make sure I won this time around. However, on the third stage of the boss battle when you are falling and landing on small platforms, I could not cause any damage to Nemesis at all. His red 'heart' wasn't exposed so I couldn't damage it. I thought I maybe had to get closer, but nope, still couldn't damage it, and it pushes you back anyway if you are close.
I went through all of my healing items, shooting at every possible location on him and the eyeball towers, and nothing happened. Eventually I died without causing a single bit of damage. I was using the Hollow Seeker weapon which has very good range, plus it was a high level version which was very useful getting up this point.
I tried another run after and got to Nemesis again and this time I beat it. My run was much worse, but still had 3 healing items. Int he third stage of the boss, the red 'heart' was this time exposed immediately and I could do damage with no problems, from afar or near. Hollow Seeker weapon again.
So yeah, watch out for this problem. No idea if there is a workaround, but I had the latest patch from that day installed (1.003.1 or something).

Game dev.

Throb

render wrote:

Used the short cut to the citadel and promptly got dispatched

There's a shortcut somewhere, is this in biome 1?

Also, what's the deal with sleeping in the ship, i knew you could do it but since it is at the start of a run, i din't think it would do any healing?

Can't think of anything good to put here just yet, watch this space...

PSN: Headthrob

render

@Throb Yes it's in biome 1. One of the rooms / tiles has this long bridge with a right hand turn half way up it that usually goes to either a room or a dead end. Straight on the bridge just ends and there's a gap and then a big wall that you can only get up with the grappler. On your first play through Selene will have made a remark there and the mission objective changes. Once you have the grappler you can get up there though and it takes you straight through to the citadel where your proficiency level gets boosted up automatically to 9 as well. The only thing is you might not have much else e.g. suite stats upgrades etc so don't fair so well which is what happened to me 😆.

With regards to sleeping on the ship, if you've done some of biome 1 then you can always go back there to heal before continuing. It can be really useful before taking on the boss, and quick if you use the fast travel points.

Edited on by render

render

MightyDemon82

Fingers crossed tonight's the night i will put down the biome 2 boss, I've came close twice now but a lot of deaths in the game come from falling off platforms and generally not watching where I'm going during a frantic shoot out. I had an excellent gun but very little health one run but decided to give it a go and needless to say I didn't last long. still having lots of fun though. Does the Restart cycle option wipe your current overall progress or just let you jump into a new run? I've mostly been letting Selene die or closing down the game and booting it back up again to hopefully get a better roll of the dice.

MightyDemon82

Voltan

@render I knew I was screwed when my cat woke me up for his morning noms and I noticed my controller was still charging
Luckily I have one last day off today so I just went back to sleep

Voltan

MightyDemon82

@Voltan Ok I thought it might but wasn't sure. you'll have finished the game by the time I beat him haha.

MightyDemon82

Voltan

@MightyDemon82 I haven’t used it myself but I believe I saw people mention that if you get the bug where doors are not opening for you, the workaround is to switch back to default suit and restart cycle. Wiping your whole saved state wouldn’t be great advice 😃

Voltan

render

@katamariUK Thanks for the heads up as I'll maybe have a crack at that one later. I've only had two goes at it using the same gear as I used a reclaimer so went straight back at it. Only problem was second time around I didn't have any of my consumables so I was never going to come out of that well.

@Voltan Ha ha yep I have that sometimes with the kids where I've been playing until really late and get woken up what seems like just a few hours later with them running into the room. Oh man are they loud sometimes!!

render

Voltan

Random thought: Not sure what would have to happen for Returnal not to get most of awards for sound design this year. If something does happen, I want to hear that one too.

Voltan

render

@Voltan Agreed. I'm still mainly playing with TV speakers but have tried headphones with this and it does sound pretty good. I was on the fence about the 3D audio stuff before and I thought I might be one of those people that Mark Cerny mentioned as finding it just a bit better than stereo, but it really does work in this game. The music is great too and love the sudden burst of the theme tune when you find something that advances the story.

render

hypnotoad

I've got a very good Atmos set up but this game shines aurally with a set of 3D headphones.

Wife beating may be socially acceptable in Sheffield, but it is a different matter in Cheltenham

Kidfried

Had 3 cycle breaking bugs in as many runs since the new update. Thanks Housemarque... 🙄

Kidfried

MightyDemon82

Yay finally beat Ixion. Off to bed now though. That was an almost 2 hour run I'll check out the 3rd biome tomorrow.

The game really does shine whilst wearing headphones. Although I almost blew my eardrums out when I got a little excited, I accidentally turned the volume up on them when celebrating haha.

MightyDemon82

Voltan

Had another good run. Got what I believe is the final traversal upgrade, also progressed the story a bit. So far it's going the way I suspected for a while now but I won't be too surprised if there's another twist later
Unfortunately I made the mistake of switching weapons to a new kind with no unlocked traits only to find a pack of elite enemies in the next room. RIP. To be continued

Voltan

Voltan

Btw, I know opinions vary about Returnal's "rougelikeness" and I haven't actually played any other games in the genre enough to know how well it really does it but I do know this - at this point (and it's been like that for a good while) I'm not even disappointed after dying like that - I'm excited about progressing further soon instead. I can now skip a particularly hard room that seems to be "static" in biome 6.

Protip: Unlocking weapon traits is the real between-runs-progress. My Hollowseeker is now powerful AF.

Also PSA: There will be another update tomorrow 7 pm GMT / noon PST so don't suspend your run at that time or disable auto updates if you need to

Voltan

Porkman85

hypnotoad wrote:

I've got a very good Atmos set up but this game shines aurally with a set of 3D headphones.

Worth pointing out that there's no such thing as '3D headphones' of course - it's marketing guff. Any decent wired set will work just as well as those that are sold under such monikers.

Porkman85

render

Not done too well tonight. My first pretty good run was ended by a crash then I’ve struggled to even get out of the overgrown ruins. Think I should just leave it tonight and try again tomorrow. I did unlock a few traits though so not totally lost.

render

Th3solution

@Kidfried Oof, that sucks. I wonder what triggered so many bugs.

By the way, I’m nervous to start Returnal now since I recall you mentioning that Control was really easy for you, and I’ve had a couple bosses and enemy rooms that were pretty hard. I died like 7 times on one of the bosses ( Salvador ) and I thought I was going to pull my hair out. But the issue is that each death you lose 10% of your currency, so it stings a little.
I had another boss shortly after that which also had me dying a lot ( the giant one-eyed worm type creature ) But otherwise I’ve been breezing through up until these late game encounters.
Do you figure I’ll struggle with the Returnal combat?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Kidfried

Th3solution wrote:

@Kidfried Oof, that sucks. I wonder what triggered so many bugs.

By the way, I’m nervous to start Returnal now since I recall you mentioning that Control was really easy for you, and I’ve had a couple bosses and enemy rooms that were pretty hard. I died like 7 times on one of the bosses ( Salvador ) and I thought I was going to pull my hair out. But the issue is that each death you lose 10% of your currency, so it stings a little.
I had another boss shortly after that which also had me dying a lot ( the giant one-eyed worm type creature ) But otherwise I’ve been breezing through up until these late game encounters.
Do you figure I’ll struggle with the Returnal combat?

Well, there's another update coming today. So probably something that's going to fix it.

And to respond to your nervousness, I would say: don't worry about it too much.

First things first, I think there's a difference between dying a lot and a game being very difficult. I have died quite a few times in Control (and was just as frustrated at the loss of currency), but I still don't think the game was difficult at any point. Not like Bloodborne at any point. As soon as I did it in the right way, I could beat most encounters.

Returnal is at least somewhat more difficult than Control, but that's kind of the point. Without the very real fear of losing your progress, this game wouldn't be as exciting. Yes, it's more difficult, but not in a way that I would call unfair and not in a way that it's going to hinder your fun, if you're an average gamer at least.

So, yea, you'll probably struggle, but that's kind of where the fun comes from. The good thing is that so far no challenge to me has seem insurmountable. Even when I failed, I felt very much that with a bit more luck of concentration I could have made it. And that's why I don't feel any despair at all playing.

Had a great run yesterday, and everything went perfectly. I had a great healing item, so I decided to go into the boss room before having explored every room in that biome. I felt ready. Well, I almost was. The boss had less than 10% of their health left in its final phase, so I was really close. Then I was thinking: yea, I probably should have explored some more, I could have found a stat boost, and I might have made it easily. The strength of this game, and I've read this somewhere in a review too, is that it feels like winning might be around the next corner. Maybe you'll find an item that'll make it a piece of cake, maybe your alt fire recharges a bit faster next time, and you're able to land some extra shots that way.

This game beats you down a lot of the times,, but it'll always whisper "you can do it" afterwards. And I think the game is right: I am able to do it, and so are you.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic