Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 2,541 to 2,560 of 2,757

Voltan

@Th3solution @velio84 Yeah, I had none of the surveys complete upon completing Act 3 either but it "only" took me another 20-30h to get them all
The thing I spent most time on was the infamous Scout Log 9 - seemed to take forever until I switched to a "speedrun" tactic for it, at which point I got it (and the platinum) in 40 minutes

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan @velio84 Out of curiosity I double checked my trophy list and I did remember correctly — got survey trophies for B1 and B4 in the natural course of playing the game (it looks like my B4 Survey trophy popped about an hour or so before the Act 3 trophy popped) so that leaves me with the 4 other survey trophies, as well as the “Obtain Proficiency level 30” trophy which I apparently didn’t get naturally.

So, “just 5 trophies left” seems fairly simple, but I don’t know if my skills are tuned very well since it’s been a good 6 months since I played it.

After Act 3 completed I felt like I concluded the game on a high note and walked away from it before it became a chore or fatiguing to grind out anything. It got dangerously close to an RNG drudgery when I had to labor through repeated runs of B6 to get that last sun fragment. For some reason that took me a while and I could feel the frustration of what it must be like to do that grind over and over for the ciphers and logs and so I just jumped ship while everything was still enjoyable and pleasant. But I can’t lie — there’s part of me that feels drawn back 😅

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

@Th3solution I also couldn't obtain the proficiency trophy "organically" but it's a very easy one to "cheese". In the Abyssal Scar, you'll encounter these shielded tentacle creatures that keep spawning the little suicidal squids. If you see one of those, just stay at a distance and keep shooting the little ones for 10 minutes or so

Voltan

Th3solution

@velio84 Yeah, I’m not sure how many of the collectibles I have left. I haven’t booted the game up since I completed it. I forgot that it shows you a checklist of the stuff your missing.

I would guesstimate that I have just a couple
Scout logs and probably 2-3 ciphers per biome maybe. That would leave me about 8-10 ciphers maybe. I should probably check. If it much less, then I might feel inclined to give it a go, just for kicks. I haven’t even booted up the game since they added the save function.

Is there a particular strategy (besides the offline boot, which is a brilliant trick btw) to doing these cipher runs? Like, is there a quick way that you know when you enter a biome whether they cipher spawned (or will spawn) in it?
For instance, I do remember when I was doing runs for the sun fragments you could look at the map when you enter a room and if there wasn’t a little triangle icon on the map then you could quickly move on and keep searching and not waste further time in that room. And another example — I gathered from the internet that the B6 sun fragment would never spawn after the ‘point of no return’ drop down spot halfway through, so if I got to that point without finding it then I’d just reload and start a new run.

So it would be great if the ciphers have some basic rules or tricks to know that I’m optimizing a run’s potential and not just spinning my wheels combing a biome for 2 hours when it isn’t going to spawn.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Voltan Yeah, that’s a great shout. I did that to grind unlocks for weapon traits. If I’d have realized that there was a trophy for the proficiency level 30 then I could have stuck a little longer with that when I was playing. If memory serves I was probably at least to level 28 or 29 a time of two.

Fill3rup_

@velio84 CONGRATULATIONS M8! WELL DONE.
THanks for the confirmation of the B6 cipher glitch.Might try the same thing in 2 and 3 to try and hoover up the last few there.worth a try

Fill3rup_

FullMetalWesker

@Voltan - That’s fine, even knowing they’re in specific rooms is a great help, so thanks for that 🙂

@Th3solution - If it helps, you could always use the platinum hunt as an opportunity to play around with the game’s sandbox a bit more. It’s what I’m currently doing, as someone who’s just started the plat hunt, and if nothing else, it’s given me something to do while I’m combing through the biomes.
That, and they’re apparently in specific rooms, so finding a list of all the rooms you’ve got left to do might also work.
Finally, if you’ve still got some scout logs left, apparently some are tied to the reconstructor (the machine that brings you back if you die) so that might be something to look out for, possibly.

On a related note, thanks everyone for inadvertently pointing out that there’s still some problems with one of the sixth biome glyphs. Should save me some time otherwise spent wandering around aimlessly (presuming I don’t forget by the time I get there).

FullMetalWesker

Just2Milky

Hollowseeker is pretty on point though…

“I’m a really good lawyer.”
———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

JohnnyShoulder

@render Ha Ha, thanks for sharing, that did crack me up!

The Dreadbound is a gun which, instead of shooting bullets, shoots disappointment. 🤣

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

CJD87

@Just2Milky My shooter of choice mate! Got me through the last boss for Acts 2 and 3...

CJD87

Just2Milky

Co op, new weapons, new house sequences, and what looks like an endless mode! All for free!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=89&v=ZsVRtrRsUB...

“I’m a really good lawyer.”
———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

Scratchy_Seal

Well I thought I was out after getting the platinum but this state of play announcement has me very excited!

Scratchy_Seal

render

This is awesome news and what I’ve been waiting for. The coop mode might help out those that were struggling solo as well.

render

CJD87

@render Time to dust off the Hollowseeker mate!

Amazing news, and great to hear the update is free also. Not played since around Sept/Oct... so will definitely need to brush up my skills ha

This was essentially the only interesting item from SoP for me, really glad to see it in there

CJD87

render

@CJD87 I felt the same, nothing else really interested me but this... It's actually a shame it's coming so soon as I definitely won't have finished ER by then but I'm really really keen to get back to Atropos. The endless mode looks like it could be really fun and infuriating 😀

@lolwhatno You need a PS5 in your life, this game should not be missed.

render

Quintumply

Yessss this game was so ripe for expansion, I'm so pleased it's getting more stuff. I'm really excited for the endless mode and campaign co-op. Both will be really fun I think.

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic