Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 2,501 to 2,520 of 2,757

render

@velio84 @Fill3rup_ Good luck in your hunt for those elusive ciphers etc. Hope the gods of RNG are kind to you.

render

Fill3rup_

@render Thanks.. im close to closing off 8 of the 10 trophys left. at the moment,its the 6th sunface fragment to close off the house episodes,then ive 2 logs to find,and ive approx 6 ciphers left. really enjoying it tbh.i reckon i will try for the 100% just because i love the gameplay so much.
It will be my first Platinum ever..

Fill3rup_

Just2Milky

@Fill3rup_ @velio84 y’all can do it! You’re so close!

“I’m a really good lawyer.”
———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Fill3rup_ @velio84 Not gonna lie, the last two cyphers in biomes 2 and 3 took an age to get! Good luck!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Fill3rup_

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, ive one left in Biome 6 and the rest are in 2&3.. its gonna be a slog.albeit an enjoyable one

Fill3rup_

render

@velio84 I felt the same going the other way and playing something like Demon’s Souls after Returnal. Not the look, as DeS looks amazing, but the responsiveness of the character - everything else is just so slow 😆

There are no glyphs / ciphers behind the locked doors so you won’t need to open those if you don’t want to. Good luck in finding what you need.

render

Fill3rup_

So cleared 2 more trophys off the list over the weekend. Got the 6th Sunface Fragmant and got to Proficiency lvl 30.. so,now ive to clear the surveys and Beat the last boss for the real ending..

Thats all ..lol

Fill3rup_

render

@Fill3rup_ Well done! I expect the surveys will be the ones that will take you the longest there. As long as you are still enjoying the game it hopefully won't be too bad.

render

Fill3rup_

@render Cheers! Yep,there one scout log in biome 4 and ive played through it so many times now,im thinking maybe ill have to go back and clear 2 and 3 first and then clear the last .just glyphs and one scoutlog left.

Fill3rup_

render

@velio84 If you're starting to not enjoy it then it might be a good time to put it down and you could always come back to it another time or play the odd run every now and then? The survey trophies are definitely the worst ones and hopefully they will take that on board with any future games. They have done some tweaks to the spawn rates of certain rooms as part of various patches but some of them still have such a low spawn rate that it does make it frustrating.

Great that you've been trying out the different weapons though. The Coilspine is one that I just couldn't get into, I just don't think my aim was good enough. I've seen some vids of people destroying bosses with it though so get the right traits and it can be your friend. I also generally struggled using the Pyroshell Caster, all except for one run where I had some good traits with it and it just seemed to work. I wish I remember what they were though 😆

render

CJD87

@velio84
I massively feel your pain on this... I shot for the platinum (eventually achieving) but there were occasions where the RNG Gods were not favoring me in the slightest!

There were 2 ciphers I needed, both in Biome2, that I did probably about 50-60 runs until they popped. Luckily, I was still quite addicted to the gameplay and wasnt quite ready to 'quit' Returnal. For a lesser game I would have given up far earlier for sure.

I'd say this was a much more frustrating platinum than Demon's Souls.

One piece of advice - I eventually learnt to limit myself to 2 runs per day MAXIMUM and then played other things in between. Eventually you will get all the ciphers!! But it is a slog for sure

CJD87

Th3solution

@Fill3rup_ Nice work. Getting through the final boss for the end of Act 3 is a real treat.
But yeah, @velio84 I stopped short of the platinum for fear of the game growing tiresome. I don’t have a ton of platinums as a result, but it’s a policy I usually follow with my games in that I try not to push beyond the point of tedium. It’s why there are some of my favorite games of all time for which I don’t have the platinum; I don’t want to spoil my enjoyment of the game. We were recently discussing this on another thread with regard to Shadow of the Colossus and it’s annoying platinum requirements, which I just left alone and kept the awe and wonder of the game intact in my memory. Another recent example for me was Death Stranding — a game I adore, but am just a handful of trophies shy of the platinum because I was feeling a grind toward the last few trophies would threaten to compromise my adulation of the game.

But props to those who can push through and still get though these platinums. Part of my issue is time limitation also, so there’s that challenge as well.

But like @render says, there’s always the possibility of going back later (although I usually don’t). I do like the tactic @CJD87 suggests where you just limit to a couple runs a day. That keeps your skills sharp at least, but might avoid the game becoming laborious.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Fill3rup_

@Th3solution I played solidly from release day for maybe 2 months,i got to a certian point, (biome 5 i think) where i just couldnt get through.so i left it and picked it up over Xmas.. this will be my first ever Platinum as i just never really bothered with them,i just played a game until it was not enjoyable anymore.. But i feel compelled to get this one.Its a stunning game

Fill3rup_

Th3solution

@Fill3rup_ Oh I agree — the game is phenomenal. Probably my favorite of the three PS5 exclusives (Rift Apart was great but not quite as addictive and unique, and I’m in the middle of Demon’s Souls and it’s fabulous too but still not quite up to Returnal as far as sheer spectacle yet, although it’s close)

It’s possible that having that little break in the middle has kept you fueled for the platinum run. I played it straight through with very little in between until I completed Act 3. I’m 5 trophies shy of the plat by just playing through naturally — 4 of the surveys (I somehow got B1 and B4 surveys just playing naturally) and the proficiency to 30 trophy. So by the time I beat the final boss I felt it was a good time to move on, but perhaps your break in the middle will end up being a good thing.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

FullMetalWesker

@Th3solution - I’d agree with that (Returnal being the pick of the three PS5 exclusives) which in hindsight makes sense, as it, at least imo, does take at least some of what makes both Ratchet (tight TPS gameplay, wide range of weaponry) and Demon’s Souls (punishing, yet rewarding difficulty, crazy boss fights) work and throws them together into a singular experience (with perhaps a sprinkling of Metroid Prime 2 and Furi added for good measure).
——
So, an update: I’ve finished Biome 6, and am now in the final stretch in finishing the game overall. From what I understand, I just need to find a key in all six biomes to unlock the final ending, correct? Are these keys guaranteed to spawn, or is it a randomly triggered event I’ll just have to hope comes up before too long?
In any case, it seems all that’s left is clean-up, so I’ll probably be playing this less often going forward, just take my time finishing things off; judging from some other comments here, that seems the best course of action right now, and I’ve got a decent backlog I should probably get back into…

Oh yeah, and the sixth biome boss was also pretty easy (once I figured how to damage it); managed to beat him on my first try, thus making it 4/5 for this games bosses (Ixion being the exception, and only just) which just solidifies my experience that the enemies getting to the boss are much tougher than the boss itself (I’ve died 17 times overall so far, and only 2 were to bosses) which I guess makes sense, but is still a bit weird imo.

On a final note, has anyone tried the daily challenges? If so, what’s your highest ranking (that you remember)?

FullMetalWesker

Th3solution

@FullMetalWesker I haven’t done many daily challenges. I tried a few at first but didn’t stay with them. Seems I was ranked in the top 100 for one temporarily but this was early days and I’m sure that changed throughout the day.

As far as the Act 3 road you have to take to get to the final ending — yes you’re correct. I’ll tag it just in case a passerby doesn’t want to see (no major spoilers, just answering your question) —
each Biome has one Sun fragment each. So you need to collect the 6 fragments and then beat the final boss for a last time. The fragments are actually in the biome every time, not randomly generated. Furthermore, they are in roughly the same place every time. Obviously the map is randomized with each visit so getting to the room or place the fragment lives is a slightly different path each time, but there will be a common set up for it to be, no matter the run. There’s a good chance that the fragment may even be in one of the early rooms or areas of a Biome, so you may find it in the first 5 minutes of being there and then you can just leave after you find it because they do carry over/save as permanent items.

A little more advice, not really too spoilery but —
if you watch the map there will be a little triangle denoting the fragment. I forget what color it is, but if you want to further simplify your search then you can utilize the map and if the room you’re in doesn’t have any icons then just move along. Biome 6 was the trickiest one for me to find and I had a hard time getting that one as if you miss it and go past the mid level point of no return then you’ll have to start over

And you need to make sure you’ve experienced all the house sequences of both Biome 1 and Biome 4 first or the fragments won’t spawn. I wasted a lot of time until I realized I hadn’t done the last house sequence of Biome 4. So be sure the house is “dark” in those two places before you waste too much time

You’ll probably get through it pretty quick actually.

Edited on by Th3solution

SmackMyBishop

this game is a trip so far. only played maybe like 2 hrs total. dying of course but its all good. good fun

SmackMyBishop

render

@velio84 Unless they've changed things radically I didn't find B6 too bad after the end game, but still needed to have a good weapon with some good traits. B3 though was never not tricky and even when I thought "I've got this" with the drones I'd all of a sudden get obliterated. I was perhaps lucky to have only the ones left in B2 as even though the spawn rates were so stupidly low at least I didn't have to build up too much before I went there.

Good thing that you are still enjoying it though and hopefully they will turn up sooner rather than later 😀

render

render

@velio84 Great work, it's got to feel good getting it down to just 2 left. The very last one I had was in B6 which felt quite fitting really. Hopefully you can grab both of those in one run

render

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic