Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 1,961 to 1,980 of 2,757

NedStarksGhost

Just finished Act 3! I'll post my thoughts in the story thread instead of here, great game. Thought I wasn't going to manage to do it in my first run as I was having poor drops with weapons. I did have to use the Pylon Driver, and now I get why people love it so much. Shoot it, hide behind a pillar and survive!

Final game stats;

17 hours, 46 mins, 58 secs
18 deaths
2598 kills

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

render

@NedStarksGhost Well done 👍, those are some cracking stats. I think I had 56 deaths and like 2 days or there abouts.

Weapons wise it’s tough to rank them I think but for me I’d rank them this way...

Best feeling: Hollowseeker
Best sounding: Dreadbound
Best all rounder: Rotgland Lobber
Weapon to most likely get me killed: Shared between the Coilspine Shredder and the Pyrocaster

render

NedStarksGhost

@Voltan thank you, I'm quite proud of it to be honest!

@render thanks also, quite pleased with myself. Not very often I do particularly at a game!

I see a lot of praise for the Dreadbound but I honestly could not get on with it. Found it hindered me. I had to use it in my final run for act 3 and I almost died, guess that's what great about the game it leaves you with plenty of options for play styles.

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

JohnnyShoulder

@NedStarksGhost Well done, that is a crazy short completion time!

My favourite weapons were:
Electropylon Driver
Hollowseeker
Rotgland Lobber (save my ass in The Citadel)
Carbine Rifle

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@NedStarksGhost Yeah, the Dreadbound is an interesting gun. Since the shards have to boomerang back to you before being fired again, it can be quite unpredictable if you miss your target and the shard fly off far into the distance and take a while to return. So Biome 6 is a no-go for that weapon. But even tough enemies up close to you like the leaping gorilla tentacle dudes or even the phasing tree guys, all you have to do is get fairly close and it’s unlimited pummeling nonstop with no interruption to reload and it’s just destroys like no other. The sound and feedback feels so awesome too.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

NedStarksGhost

@JohnnyShoulder Thanks!

@Th3solution I can see the benefit from the biomes where you get close and personal. I avoided it as I tended to build using successful Overload for extra protection, speed, shorten alt-fire cool down. It is definitely the best sounding and feedback though, for sure.

NedStarksGhost

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I found other weapons were just as useful in similar situations that you describe with the Dreadbound, and the element of unpredictably made me avoid it unless I had the starting pistol weapon or a similar pony weapon. Sure it sounded neat, but I preferred the Electropylon Driver and Hollowseeker for audio visual reasons.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

I found the 6th fragment! Thanks to all who helped. Almost ran right past the side path but saw the white orb out of the corner of my eye and so thankfully turned around. I just need to get the final boss done now. I had a decent run going for that and got tempted by switching out my carbine with leech rounds for a Spitmaw that had a trait to unlock, and it just didn’t serve me well in one of those rooms with a hundred enemies and red rings flying at you from every direction. To be honest, I was only half invested in the run anyways since it was late at night and I’m just destroying my schedule with these late night game sessions 😅

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Just2Milky

@Th3solution Nice one! The 3rd act’s ending is… interesting, to say the least!

“I’m a really good lawyer.”
———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

Cookyman1970

Had this since launch, still can't beat the 1st boss! Lol.

Cookyman1970

Th3solution

@Cookyman1970 @lolwhatno I forget my exact stats at the time, but I feel like I was in the 12 hour range before I beat the first boss, maybe longer. I was really stuck on it for a while. The progress feels much more rapid after that though. (Even though there are a few other obstacles later as well that most players run into that also take multiple runs to get through)

————

Speaking of, my runs to try to get to the ending of Act 3 seem much harder and I think the game ramps up the difficulty here at the end. Rooms that used to have 5 or 6 simple enemies now have 2-3 large brute types and 10-15 smaller enemies charging you. It’s like the game is throwing everything at me here at the end and I’ve died a couple times just in the very next area after the opening spawn point. 😅

NedStarksGhost

@Th3solution interesting you say that about act 3, I noticed a difficulty spike as well! Was very lucky to survive the room after you drop down to the second level!

NedStarksGhost

Just2Milky

@Th3solution Yeah I think it does, plus you realize this is it and slip up (I know from experience 😉)

“I’m a really good lawyer.”
———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

Th3solution

@NedStarksGhost @Just_2_milky Hopefully I get another shot at it today. I’ll definitely post thoughts if I do.
One thing I plan is to not mess around with any weapons I don’t like. I need all hands on deck!

Th3solution

Well, I successfully finished Act 3 finally!!

What an ending and what a wonderful game. Enjoyed it all the way through to the end. If I didn’t have a large backlog, I’d go for the platinum, but as it sits, I think I’ll let the game go for now. But I’m not planning to sell back my disc, as I won’t rule out …returning (…ahem 😄) to Returnal one day.

I’ll finally go over to the spoiler discussion thread and see what the heck the actual story was. 😂

Edited on by Th3solution

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Wel done sir!

Voltan

Th3solution wrote:

I’ll finally go over to the spoiler discussion thread and see what the heck the actual story was. 😂

Good luck with that lol

Voltan

Quintumply

Had a bit of spare time last night so hopped back into this, and now I only need three ciphers in Abyssal Scar for the platinum. So close!

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic