Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 1,941 to 1,960 of 2,757

Just2Milky

For anybody trying to get the plat, don’t do more than 2 runs a day. It’s helping me not get burnt out, and each day you come back saying “maybe today I’ll get that cipher”

“I’m a really good lawyer.”
———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

Thrillho

@Just_2_milky The only problem being that two runs could be anywhere from 20 mins to 4 hours!

Thrillho

Voltan

@Thrillho When I was looking for the last scout log I needed, my runs were more like 2 minutes lol

Voltan

Just2Milky

@Thrillho yeah, I’ve been doing quick runs through 2 & 3 and the runs are lasting around an hour and a half

———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

render

@MatthewJP Awesome work, that’s a great achievement!! Definitely worth persevering with it and you’ve done amazingly well considering you just used the pistol.

@Just_2_milky It took me ages to get the one I was missing in B2. I was doing speed runs of a fashion where I’d try and miss as much as I could out of B1 and B2 before doing the top level of B2. It was quick and still fun but meant I could get a few more runs in. Took me 18 from when I started counting.

render

Th3solution

I’ve only had time for a few play sessions this week, but I’m so near the end of Act 3 that I can taste it. One more fragment to go. I played late into the night and looked everywhere in the Abyssal Scar, had a really great run with tons of health and I just couldn’t find the %@*#! thing. I finally had to just shut down my run because it was late and my sleep is already ruined and I’m going to be hating myself today at work.

I do think if I had the time I’d like to try the platinum because the game still feels great to play and the moment to moment gameplay is still fun. I’m almost at 3 days (72 hrs) on the game clock, with around 90 deaths so far. But given I’ve got a ton of backlog, I’ll probably just move on after the end of Act 3. The game feels like one that I could come back to now and again and play in short spurts if I want to though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

@Th3solution You know those areas with a narrow broken walkway, some traps (either those eye-searchlight thingies or the ones raining red orbs) and a chest at the end of a path? Look behind the chest (you have to jump to a little area that doesn't appear on the map).
It's not guaranteed to be there but it's the only place it can be. There's also a datacube there if you haven't picked it up yet.

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

NedStarksGhost

@Th3solution I had the same issue last night, spent agessss trying to find it, and eventually found the right path. I even went for the infected room convinced it must be in there. Spoiler; it wasn't so I risked my run for nothing.

I have all 6 now so will be doing my final run tonight (hopefully).

Just to add on from what @Voltan said, I found it in the second to last room of Biome 6. The room before you head up to get the key before the boss. But I don't believe that's a guarantee as the first time I looked for it I couldn't see it anywhere in the bottom half of the Biome, so faced the boss hoping it pops up after (again it didn't).

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

Th3solution

@Voltan I think I know the place you speak of, but I don’t remember seeing it last night. It possible that I didn’t go far enough into the level. I kept backtracking thinking I may have missed it. Abyssal Scar is probably the most confusing biome in the whole game, as far as getting one’s bearings. There are turns and three dimensional layers of walkways, sometimes it’s so easy to miss an area there.
My problem might be that I rely on the map quite a bit and it sounds like I can’t simply go off it it, if the area doesn’t appear on the map. Do you know if it’s prone to be behind a blue triangle doorway or will it spawn in the main pathway through the rectangular doors?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@NedStarksGhost Ah, I just saw your comment. Simultaneous post 😄

Thanks! I think I might not have gone in far enough then

NedStarksGhost

@Th3solution I edited my post as you'd just posted, but seeing as you replied I'll put it here (great timing here!)

Abyssal Scar is by far the worst of them all. I had no issue finding the fragments in the other Biomes but that one was horrid. As you say, can be hidden in a branching path. Just have to keep an eye out for them orbs you shoot to reveal platforms. I spotted it by pure chance.

I'd also be sure to look everywhere in the first half before committing to the second half (when you jump down), as I didn't on my first run and I am certain I missed it.

NedStarksGhost

Th3solution

@NedStarksGhost I appreciate it. It sounds like it would likely be on the main pathway through the main doorways from the description. If I’m able to skip side areas it will definitely save me time and frustration. Not that I don’t enjoy the combat and going into a room full of kamikaze exploding squid, but from a time management standpoint, I’d like to make some progress over a 2 hour run! 😅. And I’m at the point in the game where I don’t get weapon traits that need unlocking very often, and when I do it’s with the rubbish weapons that I hate like the Coulspine Shredder. That weapon gets me killed every time.

Voltan

@Th3solution I believe that area can appear anywhere in the biome - might be at the very start just as well as the last one before the boss. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't there at all on my first attempt to get the last fragment - I got it on my 2nd.
The area isn't marked on the map but you will see it when standing at the edge of the pathway behind the chest. It's hard to miss if you know what you're looking for.
And yeah, it'll probably be on the main path.

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

NedStarksGhost

@Th3solution No worries! It seems like in Biome 6 it doesn't spawn in the side rooms and is on a branching path somewhere hidden, maybe.

Yeah I skip the difficult side rooms, sometimes go for them just so I am less likely to die. Tend to stick with the Carbine with Leech Rounds. Only use the Carbine and Pistol now so I can dispatch them stupid squids quickly!

I unlocked the Coulspine Shredder only last night, picked it up and tried it. "Nope" swapped it back for the starting pistol. I am mega boring when it comes to weapon variety, just hate giving up the accuracy of the pistol or carbine!

NedStarksGhost

Th3solution

@Voltan Cheers, bud. If I wasn’t stuck at my work then I’d be having a go at it right now. Alas, I have my own real life rogue-like ongoing. I just wish this one was as much fun as Selene’s.

Th3solution

@NedStarksGhost For me, I would rank the weapons:
1. Dreadbound (except for Biome 6 it’s useless)
2. Electopylon Driver
3. Hollowseeker
4. Carbine
5. Lobber
6. Thermogenic Launcher
7. Pistol
8. Pyroshell Caster
9. Spitmaw Blaster
25. Coilspine Shredder

😄
But the Leech Rounds really put the Carbine over the top, you’re right. So if one of them drops then it’s a must have. If it has Hardened also and you have the item that gives you health per damage dealt times adrenaline level, then you’re pretty much indestructible.

Just2Milky

@Th3solution here’s mine!
1. Pylon Driver (with web or fast-fire)
2. Carbine (rising pitch and decadent fire speed makes it fly through enemies)
3. Hollowseeker
4. Pistol
These are only the ones I’ve used, and I didn’t include ones where I picked it up, fired it, then dropped it.

———

Th3solution

@Just_2_milky @NedStarksGhost Lol, maybe that’s why I’ve taken so long to beat this game — I usually give every weapon a good trial. Even if I hate it at first, I’ll drop something I like and use a lesser weapon in order to work on opening up new traits on it. Unless I’m near the boss, which I start to prioritize to the weapon I need at that time.

But sticking with a weapon made me appreciate the Lobber more and it is my go to weapon for Biome 3 and some of 5 because it’s a good ‘fire and hide’ weapon, like the EP Driver.

Definitely single shot weapons are a disadvantage in rooms with hoards of enemies flying at you from every direction when quick fire and dash is needed. It’s also why I can’t tolerate the Pistol if it has the charge shot trait. The delay of the gun firing isn’t worth the extra damage when the enemies are coming at you quick.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic