Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 1,921 to 1,940 of 2,757

JohnnyShoulder

@MatthewJP Glad you are enjoying it! Along with an Astronaut I reccomend buying a big health vial for the boss, as that means you have 3 lives to tackle it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@MatthewJP One little tip for the early game too, in the first biome you can sometimes use those grabby tentacle things to lift you up to platforms you can’t otherwise reach. Those extra obolites or health boosts might just be vital!

Thrillho

MatthewJP

This game is brutal! 10hrs, 20 deaths and I still haven't beaten Phrike!
In those 20 deaths I've only faced him twice and only had the astronaut twice.
Quite amazing how the game keeps a grip on you though, still itching for another go after every death.
The stats don't bode well for me with the rest of the game lol

PSN: mpquikster

Thrillho

@MatthewJP I think Biome 1 can be really difficult as you have such limited weapon choices and, as the weapon levels are so low, much fewer scope to get interesting weapons and perks.

Keep going though! One of my early game tips is to use melee more; it one-hit kills smaller enemies and can be used against bigger enemies to either stagger them quickly or take a good chunk of health off them once they are staggered.

Don't be afraid of watching some videos of the boss fights for tips either and it sounds strange but it can be useful to record and watch your unsuccessful attempts sometimes to see if there's one move you're not reading or something you're not quite timing right.

Thrillho

NedStarksGhost

Hey guys, just finished Biome 6. Fair play, this one took me some time to figure out! Had a good set up in the end which helped. Really liked the boss, didn't find it too difficult but I clicked what to do right away. Ending to act 2 was..... Interesting!

I've just gone back through the thread after seeing @Th3solution also was confused what to do next. So that'll be the next bit.

I've really enjoyed the game. Got a teeny bit annoyed a couple times when I died stupidly, but wow the gameplay, visuals, all very good.

Just editing as I have a question I want to include spoiler tag for;

I take it Act 3 is roughly the same length of time as Act 1 and 2 seeing as you just retread the biomes again and don't have to face the bosses? Only difficulty obviously is getting through the biomes again?

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

Voltan

@NedStarksGhost You don't really need to finish any of the biomes in Act 3, save for beating Ophion once again at the very end. Most of the sun face fragments are pretty easy to come by and you don't need to get them in one run. In biome 2 I found the fragment in the first part of the biome and I think it's always in that part. In 3 and 5 it's guaranteed to be in a very specific place. Once you get all 6, you just need to visit the house again in biome 4 and then fight Ophion and you're done.

Voltan

render

@MatthewJP Go on, you can do it! It took me a few attempts to get out of the first biome but it’s totally possible once you’ve got things sussed. Try and be aggressive so that you are dashing forward and always picking up the obolites. That way you will have more to spend at the fabricators and it might make a difference in the battle against Phrike.

Also if you are struggling you could always have a tinker with the controls. A few things I did was turn on always sprint and also reduced the dead zone on the left stick so I was reacting faster. You could also remap the buttons more to your liking. I know some people got on better with dash remapped to one of the shoulder buttons.

@NedStarksGhost Congrats on finishing act 2!!

render

Th3solution

@MatthewJP Yeah, don’t worry — I think Phrike might be the toughest boss. Not because she’s hard per se, because going back to fight her later I found her quite easy and her moves are pretty standard and telegraphed for the most part once you see enough of it. She’s hard because she’s first and it’s a huge threshold getting past her, and everything really starts to click better afterward, imo. Like Thrillho says, watch some YouTube videos on the fight. There are a couple good ones where they slow down the attacks and tell you methods to avoid them, etc. To me it’s comforting to see videos where the player fairly easily beats the boss, even with the starter pistol.

Go and clear the whole or most of the level and get your health up, hopefully you get an astronaut, and have a large health vial. I’m sure you’ve don’t that already, but hang in there. I was once there and I can’t remember my time (I think I posted it way back somewhere on this thread) but I think I was around 12 hour or so before I beat Phrike, with about 1.5-2 deaths per hour like where you are. I’m not that good of a gamer, just average, but now I can plow through Biome 1 pretty easily. Biome 2 is fantastic and probably my favorite Biome, so hopefully you get there soon!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@NedStarksGhost congrats! What a fantastic ending to Act 2, eh?

So I am halfway through Act 3, and I haven’t put much time in. I wasted a couple hours not realizing I hadn’t seen all the house sequences yet as I was just running past the house in B4 all that time, not realizing there was more to do there. So first step is to be sure both B1 and B4 houses are dark and won’t let you in.
Oh and if you didn’t figure it out yet, that machine in the ship is a way to transfer back and forth in time, from B1 to B4.
I’ve made my way through B1, B2, and B3 but like @Voltan says, it’s not really a full run but I had a hard time finding the fragment in B1, so that took a while, then B2 and B3 were a little quicker and I found each on like the first to second try. It should go fast for you, I’d think.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

NedStarksGhost

@render thank you!

@Voltan @Th3solution thanks both. Would never have known to do any of this without help.

the ending does tie in nicely with everything, although it doesn't answer to what's going on. I read some sections of that book from the house. It almost seems like she's in a coma or something? Might have more thoughts after act 3

NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

@MatthewJP just to repeat what others have said, you'll get used to it. Having had similar thoughts playing Dark Souls (can't actually say I had the same issues on Returnal), my advice is when you first fight the boss take a step back and just try and dodge the moves and anticipate before worrying about damage. Just get a feel for what's happening.

After that, start doing damage, and from then on you will get used to it.

You'll get to the point where all these different challenges won't affect you as much because you'll have the in the back of your mind. That first boss I know gives a lot of people grief because it's such a shift to how you approach things.

NedStarksGhost

MatthewJP

Arrrgggghh! Still biome 1. One of those runs where the boss room is right at the end of every possible room you can go through. By that time I'd got a level 3 carbine (good for me), fair bit of increased integrity, an astronaut, went back to the reconstructor as I thought this could be 'the one'.
The final room which would then lead to Phrike went into lockdown and spawned 4 mycomorphs and 2 malformed kerberonyx and I got cornered. Christ alive.

Just2Milky

@MatthewJP whoah.

“I’m a really good lawyer.”
———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

Just2Milky

@MatthewJP sounds like you would have made it! I don’t think I’ve ever seen than room.

———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

MatthewJP

After all that, I've just beaten Phrike with a level 2 pistol (and astronaut)!

Just2Milky

@MatthewJP Nice one! (To me) Phrike is the hardest one!

———

NedStarksGhost

@MatthewJP that sucks, sounds really unlucky. Keep persevering, you'll do it!

Edit: see, told you! (What timing)

Good job!

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

Just2Milky

2 ciphers away from the plat! One in the citadel, and one in the wastes!

———

Th3solution

@MatthewJP Yay!! You did it!

I think your experience underscores something I’ve noticed when playing the game, that is — when I am having what I think is a good run, sometimes I die unexpectedly, usually a bad lock-down room situation, or doing something stupid like falling off a ledge a few times or something.

Then sometimes I think it’s a mediocre run but I just keep plugging away and before I know it I’ve beaten a boss. So it really is worth it to just keep plugging on a run, as sometimes you think it’s a trash run and then the next room has a boatload of health and one of those health regenerating beds and an item that is fabulous like the one that health you per damage dealt, and before you know it you’re carving through those enemies and you’re at the boss with a loadout where you say, “hey, I might just do this..” and then you do, and it feels so good!

JohnnyShoulder

@Just_2_milky My last ones were in Biomes 2 and 3. They took ages to appear aswell!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic