Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 1,901 to 1,920 of 2,757

render

@NedStarksGhost I think all you will have missed is collecting the scout logs and ciphers which you can go back and do later. Otherwise the house cut scenes you can catch up in B4 as it sounds like you already have been.

I can’t think of anything else unless anyone else can?

render

Th3solution

@NedStarksGhost Yeah, I’m not for certain but there might be a couple house sequences that are unique to B1. I think 3 in total. Same with B4 if I’m not mistaken. What I’m not sure of is whether the normal B1 sequences will unlock in B4. I don’t think so but I could be wrong.

The game doesn’t expect you to go through the whole first Act in one go! 😄

And yeah, lots of ciphers and scout logs that need multiple runs in order to unlock and find. Also data cubes. But it’s okay. I think it’s clear that you’ll have the opportunity to mop things up if you want later. I don’t think there was any key information contained in Biome 1.

And congrats for slaying the dragon that is Biome 5! It’s actually true that your best shot at the latter Biomes does seem to be the first time you get there because a player will tend to be pretty buffed from having gone through the prior Biome thoroughly and beat the boss and all. But the trick is to have the mental stamina to stick with it and put in that full 3 hour effort, so good job there. It’s harder to build yourself back up to that level again, but like was said — I skipped Biome 5 still and buffed up in 4 and went straight to 6. At first I felt underpowered, but I got the hang of it. The Biome really changes up some of the strategies needed.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

NedStarksGhost

@render @Th3solution good to know nothing crucial and you can go back!

Haha I had the feeling the game wanted me to die multiple times per act... Oops!

Just to double check... Biome 5 is the snowy ruins and Biome 6 the under water one? Or is that just Biome 5 continued?

NedStarksGhost

Th3solution

@NedStarksGhost Yes, on Biome 5 and 6. Where you are now is Biome 6, Abyssal Scar.

And I say it changes up the necessary strategy because of the way jumping is more floaty and the way the walkways are so narrow and often being attacked from many directions with no where to dash to without falling into the abyss. I had gotten used to just dashing around in the middle of the melee, but B6 makes you take things slower and assess your terrain carefully before charging in.

And to your point — I’m not sure where this nomenclature of calling the levels by Biome 1-6 came from. They have actual names in the game: Overgrown Ruins, Crimson Wastes, etc, etc. But gamers pretty quickly just kept calling them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Just2Milky

Back in the loop! Thought I was done, but Pyre doesn’t give me the same action the Returnal does. Going for the plat after getting two more surveys done, now only biomes 2 and 3 left to do!

“I’m a really good lawyer.”
———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

render

@Just_2_milky You can do it 👍

I’m feeling the same with Hades. It’s a great game, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not grabbing me like Returnal did. There’s something unique about it and the gameplay is something else. I just found it totally addictive and couldn’t wait to get back on it again.

render

Just2Milky

@render played hades on switch and will likely double dip in the future, while it’s amazing, (and some parts of the game are handled better than Returnal) the third person shooter gameplay feels better & is more addicting.
I need a ceberus-esque npc in Returnal!
Have you gotten the trophy for petting him 10
Times?

———
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them; In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.”

render

@Just_2_milky That’s the same for me, the 3Diness and the shooting / dashing mechanics are just so well implemented in Returnal. The story is damn good too.

I’ve not checked out the trophies for Hades so good to know that’s one. I might probably already halfway there but only because you can’t walk past without wanting to pet it 😆

render

NedStarksGhost

@Th3solution great thanks for confirming that!

Yeah it really does, I kept falling and missing the ledges! Was not expecting it to do that!

Haha I'll be honest the Biome numbering thing suits me fine as I'm rubbish at remembering names!

Can't see me playing it today. Had far too much beer yesterday, and I don't think Returnal is the sort of game I can cope with hungover!

NedStarksGhost

MatthewJP

Hey all I've been reading this thread with interest, I don't have returnal but am at the point now where I'll be purchasing my next game.

I can play for around 2-3hrs max on an evening, so the lack of save function is putting me off. Am I to presume that this isn't a game for me then? I'm not really keen on leaving the console on overnight in rest mode.
It'll either be this or ratchet so welcome any thoughts

PSN: mpquikster

JohnnyShoulder

@MatthewJP You will potentially still be able to make good progress in that amount of time, depending on how quickly you pick things up. I wouldn't worry about using rest mode, I used it all the time when I was playing Returnal and didn't have any problems.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Just2Milky

@MatthewJP yeah, you could to a really good run in 2-3 hours. I am about 45-50 hours in and have used rest mode a lot, and I haven’t hade any problems. If you can get it for 50 it’s an absolute steal and a must have ps5 game!

Amazon has it for 50$ and other stores probably do to, just didn’t check

———

MatthewJP

Thanks both, that's food for thought. I'm a 'physical' gamer so having finished resident evil village I'll trade that in for a decent amount off the next one. Returnal is tempting even though I'm a complete newbie at this genre, it seems a lot of people are hooked on it once getting into it

Just2Milky

@MatthewJP believe me I was too. After beating the 1st boss I went downstairs to have a glass of water, and I could not hold the cup as my hands were shaking! 🤣 fast forward and I’ve beaten the game and am close to the play! If you are determined, you can do it!

———

JohnnyShoulder

@MatthewJP I was not sure whether it would be my thing as I've not really enjoyed games in the same genre, but Returnal had its hooks into straight away.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

render

@MatthewJP You've definitely got to experience this game, it's truly awesome. I'm far from the worlds best gamer but Returnal makes you want to be better and you'll want to pick yourself up even after you've been well and truly knocked down.

@Just_2_milky I was exactly the same with pretty much every boss encounter at the first time of beating. Couldn't believe how much my hands were shaking, it's very much both a physical and psychological effort to take them down 😀

render

MatthewJP

I'm not one for holding onto games after completion and building a library, so traded in RE8 today and got returnal - if I hate it, I've only paid £37 and will eventually trade it in for ratchet anyway.

Having a blast so far. The visuals and framerate have to be experienced as YouTube videos do not do it justice at all. Stunning to look at and play, superb audio especially with headphones and what excellent use of the dualsense. Amazing a studio with 80 staff have done this so quickly and so early in the generation.

Lots to take in and learn, and not got to the first boss yet but managing to do OK considering I'm not a great gamer.

I'll have a shock and be disappointed when this current run ends as I've really taken my time over it and explored like you would do a 'normal' game when I know it'll throw me right back to helios at any minute...

Just2Milky

@MatthewJP tip that I wish I had starting out. Investigate all of the blue upside down triangles on your map, but it sounds like you're already doing that. If you see health too far up or down for you to reach, don't worry. Eventually, you'll be able to get everything you see. Last one, if you see an astronaut for sale, buy it!

———

render

@MatthewJP Always good to hear someone else enjoying Returnal. It’s early days for you yet but it’s only going to get better, and maybe slightly tougher, but definitely worth it! 😀

render

MatthewJP

Good tips thanks! As its almost 1am I'm calling it a day but I got to the 2nd phase of the first boss with very little integrity so reckon I can do that tomorrow. The boss fight was pretty amazing - the visuals and music.
Also inside the house - creepy. Got some PT vibes from that

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic