Forums

Topic: Returnal

Posts 121 to 140 of 2,757

Voltan

@render I'm exactly the same - will take breaks for Soulstorm. Also still playing ranked MK11. Luckily I have a 4-day weekend starting this Saturday

Voltan

JohnnyShoulder

This is getting an almost universally good reviews. Apart from this one who I think has gone off on a tangent here! 🤣

Untitled

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Voltan

Returnal: reviews well
Twitter users with Xbox logos in profile pictures: "This is why I don't trust metacritic paid reviews"

I really should stop using that app lmao

Voltan

nessisonett

@Voltan There’ll always be idiots but it’s absolutely even on the Xbox and PlayStation side. It’s better to tune it out.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Voltan

@nessisonett Oh it's absolutely both
I still find it a little funny - probably haven't been on Twitter long enough to hate it but it is getting old fast

Voltan

Kidfried

I'm booting it up in 2 minutes! Bye everyone.

Kidfried

Voltan

@Kidfried noice
I'll have to wait till after work tomorrow

Voltan

colonelkilgore

It’s nights like tonight when I feel like it’s ‘very’ tempting to forget about whittling down the backlog!

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

The feeling that I'm getting from the numerous reviews I have watched is that this is gonna be patched quite a lot (on top of the day 1) in future to sort out some balancing.

I'm sure it's absolutely great now but I am starting to think it might be a better experience in a couple of months.

**** DLC!

Kidfried

It started way slower than I had expected actually. Not like Binding of Isaac for example, where you're thrown in the deep end, but there's even a whole tutorial section. That being said, I do have a lot more questions still with regards to structure and the gameplay loop than most other roguelikes I've played. So, for a roguelike it's in a weird, or at least different place.
I don't yet know what to think about it. I'll probably have figured all this stuff out as soon as I put another few runs in.

I don't know if I need to add anything to what's already been said all over the net with regards to this game's technical achievement. It looks really cool all the time, it sounds really cool all the time, there's no loading times at all and it utilizes the PlayStation 5 fully, maybe even more than Astro Bot. This game will be the reference point for all future PS5 games. I have no doubt about that.

And I can safely say that this has been the best shooter I've played in the last few years. The combat system is just so great. The game kind of alternates between first fighting the monsters in a certain area, and then exploring said area. After every battle so far, and some of them really intense, I found myself looking forward to the next.

When you think about the shooting mechanic afterwards, it's easy to distinguish it has some arcade-like qualities. It's not about aiming, but rather about dodging these bullet hells, and the adrenaline system is taken straight from the arcades. Also you're never stuck in a move animation, you are constantly in control.

It's easy to point out how much of an arcade game this is, but when you're in the moment of fighting enemies, it doesn't feel like you're in the arcades, but you'll feel like you're there on Atropos. So far, which is only a few runs in, I would call it the perfect marriage of everything you like about arcade games and AAA production style games.

That being said, a game like this can not be judged based on a few cycles of playing the game. First impressions are great, but a roguelike eventually stands or falls with how much depth and fun there is to be had in multiple plays. So... stay tuned? @velio84

Kidfried

Kidfried

@colonelkilgore Roguelikes are always going to be patched a lot. The genre just lends itself to it greatly. Not saying you should buy it at day one if you feel the game is not quite there yet for you, but what I remember from playing Isaac is actually appreciating the game being patched while playing through it. Gave me a reason to do a new run, months down the line.

Kidfried

colonelkilgore

@Kidfried I've never actually played a rogue-like (or rogue-lite for that matter) so I'm not in the know on the subject. Its only been with the releases of Hades and now Returnal that I'm interested in trying the genre.

As I've mentioned before, with my current backlog its very rare that I play any game at launch anymore though (although Returnal has been tempting)... I currently have it pencilled in for September next year. The urge to play could well become too all-consuming before that though.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

render

Started playing last night and I think so far I've died 3 times. Really enjoyed what I played though but had to give it up at 2am as I was never going to get out of bed to get the kids to school in the morning. The movement is excellent though and I love the way you can easily get out of tight situations by jumping and dashing. I've got stuck in a few tight fights and managed to get out using the alt-fire too so a great addition to the standard fire on a weapon. It is painful to have to go back to the pistol when you get killed but it's quite fun to go back through the initial stages again and start gathering some upgrades to take on something bigger. Can't wait to play more later.

render

Voltan

Mine's out for delivery. C'mon mr. delivery man, hand it over already (I won't be able to play it before 5 pm anyway but I could at least install it and download the patch).

Voltan

render

@Voltan Hope you get it soon so you can get installing. I was going to wait until today to play but after all the good press just had to get into it. I knew it was going to be a challenge to give up last night as well with the not being able to save. I got to about 1.30 and I was actually hoping something would kill me just so that I could go to bed. Luckily I'm not that good so I was dispatched eventually. I just had a quick read of the tips and tricks guide on here just in case I missed anything but I think I pretty much understand how all the mechanics work, I just need to get better!

render

Kidfried

@Thrillho Works perfectly. I will be honest that I still am very confused by the shooter mechanics - having used different guns, while not being used to the handgun didn't help me become comfortable with any of the game's controls quickly. That being said, from a mechanical viewpoint it works really well, and it's nice to be able to do more with the shoulder buttons too. It works better than I expected, and I was already pretty confident about Housemarque nailing the controls.

Kidfried

render

@Thrillho I'd say I agree with @Kidfried, it works really well. I've still yet to fully get to grips with when it's ready after the cool down period but it seems more intuitive to use the same button for a few things rather than having to hit L1 or R1 or something like that. The shooting in general is really satisfying, especially when you get one of the more powerful weapons. I was quite enjoying the Spitmaw Blaster last night and I think I had Blast Shell and Trackerswarm as Alt-Fires at some point and both of those seemed really powerful.

Not sure I've managed to do an overload yet as I've been more focused on just keeping out of trouble but I'll try that out a little later to see if I can actually manage it.

render

hypnotoad

It's like an old school 80's shmup imho but with a huge lick of 21st century paint.
And the dualsense actually comes alive !

hypnotoad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic