Forums

Topic: Playstation 5 Recommendation Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 137

Jaz007

@Th3solution I’ve played a bit of Disco Elysium and it is a very interesting game, but will say some aspects of it are very cartoony in the philosophy section I found, while some are pretty good.the cartoony aspects were a bit of a turn off for me.
To give an example, the game advertises a being communist, facist, a few other philosophies. I read and thought, hmm, that’s a rather interesting idea, definitely off the beaten path; we’ve got multiple and very opposite ways to be a villian here (not sure I’ve seen that before). I personally like a good villain route. So I started messing around with the facist route, and it was, well, 4chan facism to be honest. After getting some weird rants about women being society’s problems from the internal voices and such in a manner that doesn’t reflect any actual facism, (if you didn’t do your research on 4-Chan at least). I felt a bit disappointed.
I was playing to not have the Fable idea of a villain path, but got too much of the same energy.
There’s still a lot of good to say about what I played, but I was not expecting 4-chan level of thought in parts of the game. I’ll also add it was extra jarring because of the quality of writing elsewhere. The like game opens up and draws you right with in it’s writings

Jaz007

Th3solution

@Jaz007 Thanks for that perspective, Jaz. I wonder if they had a different writing team for the various arcs and so some were less fleshed out. I have noticed this in other games that offer a wide swath of choices and story paths — inevitably some of them seem to be of lower quality.

I’m intrigued with the possibility of choice, but I rarely take an overt villainous route on my first run. I’m really curious whether this game will convince me to do otherwise though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87 wrote:

I think I can recommend Octopath Traveller 2 - I was really not excited to play this as I didn’t enjoy the first overall, but I’ve put 20 or so hours into the sequel and it’s a lot more engaging. I am glad I took a chance on it.

I basically like all the characters I have met (6) - I’ve not rolled my eyes once at the dialogue! I can only say I enjoyed 1 story of the 8 from the first game (Primrose, obviously!)

Between story chapters there’s plenty to discover, and I was laughing with joy when I unlocked the boat. Lovely music, looks great..

I will reserve final judgment until I have played it for longer, as to be fair I think I put more time into the first game and I may yet bounce off this one after another 20 hours. But certainly I am happy to say I was never as excited to play more of the first game, nor did I feel compelled to play it for such long periods at once so they have done something right with the sequel.

Still digging it.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Bundersvessel

Just entered the PS5 club, still waiting for everything to download, going to make a start on Miles Morales first as I’ve been holding out to play it. What other titles are a great showcase for the console so far?

Thrillho

@AgentCooper Welcome aboard!

PS5 exclusives are still a bit limited so it’s still Returnal and Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart that really show it off.

Of others I’ve played, Ghost of Tsushima, Control, Cyberpunk, Death Stranding all benefited from the hardware upgrade (I didn’t have a PS4 Pro).

And the mandatory mention of AstroBot too which is such a wonderful freebie with the console.

Thrillho

sorteddan

@AgentCooper
Play the Astrobot game.
Thank me later.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Th3solution

@AgentCooper That’s awesome and I’m really excited for you! I do love my PS5. As time passes, I’m less and less inclined to spend my gaming time on last gen. My PS4 feels like a relic now. PS4 games tend to play a bit better on the PS5 anyways.

As far as showcasing types of games, the aforementioned Astrobot’s Playroom is definitely the starting point. For me, others I’d include would be Returnal, Demon’s Souls, and Control Ultimate Edition. Those are great games which have beautiful graphical fidelity coupled with really smooth performance. Spider-Man Miles Morales is another great one too. I also second Rift Apart. All of the above are either at a good discount or part of PS+ Extra, so it won’t break the bank.

I’ve yet to play HFW, GoW Ragnarok, or TLoU Part I, which all have very high marks for sheer visual and audio goodness.

Most of the of the PS5 versions I’ve played so far are just prettier and smoother versions of the PS4 game, like FF7R, Guardians of the Galaxy, Kena, Immortals… so not quite a showcase like those mentioned above. I’d assume GoT and Death Stranding are similar, whereby the PS4 versions seemed fantastic in their own right, visually and performance-wise, so not sure how much palpable difference one feels on the PS5 version.

And I guess I’ll include Cyberpunk, like @Thrillho says - it’s a game which benefitted greatly and runs infinitely better than on PS4, so much that it could almost be considered a current gen exclusive. I just didn’t care for the game itself, so your mileage may vary. But Control is the other game that has a poorly functioning PS4 version that really shines on the PS5.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Jaz007 All of the philosophy paths are very meme-y. There's some good stuff and stuff to think about in each of them, but they definitely want to stay on the "funny side" as well. I was pretty fine with the constant switching between more serious moments and the over the top funny stuff, but I can definitely see how one might feel the game becomes more superficial as a result.

For me they hit the right balance, though.

Kidfried

Bundersvessel

Thanks for all the recommendations gang! I will be sticking to extra titles for a while as i'll be paying for the console for 6 months. Looking at Horizon FW after Miles and definitely check out Astro. MM looks incredible, and the haptic feedback is a gamechanger, loving the Dual sense so far. Need to resist replaying Death Stranding for now, as i know it will derail everything 😂

Thanks again everyone! 👍

Edited on by Bundersvessel

KilloWertz

@AgentCooper As long as you've played Zero Dawn, Horizon Forbidden West is a great choice for your next game. It's the best looking game out there. It's DualSense features aren't gamechanging, but the vibration while riding your mount was cool. There is resistance in the triggers as well, but I turned that off, so I can't comment on that really.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

HallowMoonshadow

No recommendations from me @AgentCooper (seeing as I don't have one yet). Just a congratulations on getting your shiny new PS5 and I hope you enjoy your new purchase! 👍

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ChadR

Assassins Creed Origins if you even think you might like that type of game. Incredible experience for me. That’s coming from someone who never finished an Assassins Creed game and didn’t like them in general. Outstanding combat, outstanding story. You can feel the protagonists rage as you slaughter the evil doers. Incredible game. It’s on PS Plus. Regularly $20 for the gold version on sale.

ChadR

ChadR

Speaking of games with awesome rumble.. Try out Prey Moonfall! Incredible game with some of the best rumble effects I’ve seen in a game. Overall Prey and Moonfall are insanely good.

ChadR

ChadR

Savage Planet,. Lots of fun!

ChadR

Th3solution

Can anyone vouch for Inscryption? It’s being added to PS+ and I keep seeing good comments about it. I read the review and it didn’t really tell me much other than it’s kind of like a card battle game. It seems there’s more to it though. I liked Slay the Spire okay, but not enough to really stick with it beyond a few hours.

Kidfried

@Th3solution The card game itself is simpler and also way shorter than Slay the Spire. So if you're ok with card games, but not for hundreds of hours, than this could be the perfect length for you.

The card game is not too complex or interesting, but the game's mystery will probably keep you hooked more than the gameplay loop itself.

I won't spoil what happens in the game, but there is a sort of metanarrative going on. That is not a spoiler, because from the get go it's clear that you are playing a game (the card game) within a game.

The game is very decent, and I enjoyed my time with it, but it's more of a palette cleanser than GOTY material. Art style is very cool, though.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic