Forums

Topic: Playstation 5 Recommendation Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 151

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I can very much recommend Inscryption. I bounced off Slay the Spire pretty quickly, but managed to stick with Inscryption.

The review is probably intentionally vague as not to spoil too much, as they are a few twists along the way, which are so much better to experience if you know as little as possible. It certainly subverted my expectations throughout my time with the game.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@Kidfried @JohnnyShoulder Sounds really intriguing. Although my backlog hates me for it, I think I want to add it to the list!

Might make a good Game Club game.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution It’s a game I’ve eyed up before and been put off by the card playing mechanic.

But then I really enjoyed Midnight Suns so maybe it’s one I will pick up if I have a lull at some point.

Thrillho

Th3solution

Several games on my wishlist popped up as being on sale now in the current summer sale. Most of them are known quantities but I had put the game Shatter Remastered on my watchlist, mostly due to strong recommendation from Colin on Sacred Symbols. Has anyone played this game?

It’s hard to go wrong for a measly $5, so I’m prone to take a fly on it, but it looks a little too ‘mobile phone gamey’ for my tastes. Wondering if I’m being too close minded.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

Final Fantasy XVI or Spider-Man 2? Next week is my payday and I just can't choose between the two...

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Depends if you wanna be part of the conversation surrounding Spidey's launch, or whether you'd rather finally Google the words "Final Fantasy" without having to worry about dodging spoilers...?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ravix

@Kidfried weirdly, I'd say go for Spider-Man 2, I loved/technically still am loving FF16, but FF16 will likely be heavily discounted at Black Friday/Christmas to get a further wave of new players in, and it's a game that suits a long Dark winter. Spider-Man seems more like a late summer release, but obviously it's released past that time, but it's only going to get darker and wetter as time rolls on, and to me that doesn't suit actual winter gaming as much as FF would, so the sooner the better lol 🤷‍♀️

Edited on by Ravix

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Jimmer-jammer

@Kidfried That’s a tough choice! I have an extremely positive opinion of FFXVI but it has proven to be somewhat divisive whereas Spider-Man 2 looks to be fully baked gaming comfort food. Both are incredibly high quality experiences but one is probably a safer bet.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

KilloWertz

@Kidfried I'd go with Spider-Man 2. Partially because I hated the ending of FFXVI and it really hurt my overall opinion of the game (I loved it up until then), but Spider-Man 2 is probably a safer bet regardless.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Th3solution

@Kidfried I’m in agreement with what’s been said, surprisingly. I’m very much enjoying FF16 but there’s a small chance that you may not click with the game. It does things differently and blazes a new trail with its approach to storytelling and gameplay in the Final Fantasy universe. It’s excellently crafted, but the risk of disappointment is there. You could try the demo if you are into that kind of thing though.

I think Spidey 2 is as close to a sure thing as we’ve had this year. If you enjoyed the first game and it’s expansion, I feel like there’s virtually no risk in disappointment. Although obviously we are speculating based on critic reviews.

————

I have a similar personal quandary though. Baldur’s Gate 3 or Spider-Man 2? I’m considering one of those for my next game when I complete FF16. Perhaps I take my own advice and go with the sure thing…🤔

Ravix

@Th3solution yes, except the sure thing in that situation is actually Baldur's Gate 3 😁

⚔️🛡🐎

RogerRoger

@Th3solution See, if I were faced with that choice, I'd definitely opt for Spidey. As epoch-making as I understand many consider Baldur's Gate 3 to be, you'd complete one fantasy RPG and dive straight into another, which runs a greater risk of genre burnout.

Personally, I always try and vary my next game in sequence as much as possible, but that's just me.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ravix

@RogerRoger FF16 isn't a fantasy RPG really though, it's an action game in a fantasy setting, with no need for any actual RP. Both still a good choice, but BG3 is also half the price of Spidey RRP if you use digital vouchers too @Th3solution 😄

⚔️🛡🐎

Gamer83

Going to throw it out there because I don't expect it to get much mention (and it's brand new) but if you're in the mood for 'classic' Assassin's Creed, Mirage is a great return to that. It's one of my favorite PS5 games already.

Gamer83

Th3solution

@Ravix I could have guessed what your suggestion would have been. 😅

@RogerRoger I agree with your approach about varying the games I play, and that’s been my inclination too. Lately I’ve even been mixing in different styled games to play concurrently with the main game and that also seems to help stave off burnout. I have to be careful though, because it has to be just enough of a small temporary distraction so as to not pull me off the main game altogether.

Kidfried

@Th3solution Very simple, go Spidey. Final Fantasy and Baldur's Gate have a somewhat too similar setting. Basically what master Rog has said. And I also think you'll enjoy some comfort food gaming more after a big epic RPG, versus an even more epic game.

@RogerRoger @Ravix @Jimmer-jammer @KilloWertz Thanks for the responses. The weird thing is... I really love love love the Final Fantasy series. It has a bigger chance of becoming my game of the year than Spidey ever would, but I am going to follow your advice here.
A breezy open world game would do me good. It's nice to play a game in its launch week without running the risk of millions of bugs or anything. We know Insomniac equals quality.
And I think @Ravix might be right here, that I'll probably be able to pick up Final Fantasy XVI for a nice price pretty soon, whereas Spidey 2 will be this expensive for a long while.

Kidfried

Ravix

@Kidfried yep yep yep. Enjoy Spider-Man 2. And FF16 will be waiting for you next up anyway, and probably be perfect game to follow it (at a nice price) 😁

Let us know how it's going when you've got your teeth into it. Spider-Man isn't a game I'd instantly think of getting, not even played Miles Morales yet, but SM2 looks pretty fun, and the Venom element is what intrigues me the most about it, and it does look like a tempting buy.

My main issue for gaming is, when I've finished BG3, I have such titles like Forbidden West, Ragnarok, Hogwarts, Jedi Survivor of the AAA ilk that I'm still yet to play (damn myself for replaying TW3 earlier this year and KCD the year before) I do love how I always have a choice of big AAA titles to play at any time of the year, but also, the backlog doth groweth, and new games have taken over this year as well, with Zelda, FF16 and BG3 dominating, along with my one game played slowly at a time method.

I also feel like something like Rift Apart would be a nice follow up to BG3 for a complete tone change 😬

I expect I'll be back to this thread to let people guide me to my next game lol

⚔️🛡🐎

OctolingKing13

What game should I buy next?
Lies of P
Hi-Fi Rush
Horizon Forbidden West
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (haven’t played remake)
Street Fighter 6

Taylor from Blank Space was my old pfp if anyone gets confused. this is tay from he latest album
I LOVE OCTO SHOT REPLICA
cats are the best

CJD87

@OctolingKing13 Difficult to answer without knowing your tastes...

But from my own perspective, I've played all of those (with exception of Rebirth) and would highly recommend Lies of P - assuming you're up for a challenge.

All those games are great though, and solid entries within their respective genre arenas.

CJD87

Th3solution

@OctolingKing13 I haven’t played any from the list, but just noting that Horizon Forbidden West and FF7 Rebirth are sequels where there’s some narrative continuity from before. It’s probably less of an issue with HFW, but definitely something to consider about Rebirth since it’s the middle entry in the FF7 trilogy. Playing Remake first would be the best approach I would think. As for HFW, I’m not sure how critical it is to know the storyline from Horizon Zero Dawn in order to get the full impact, but the HZD is really good and although there’s not a native PS5 version of the game (yet. One is supposedly in the works) it holds up well and I think it at least has PS5 patch that runs the game at 60fps and should still look quite good.

As for Lies of P, they say it’s the best Bloodborne imitator out there, and so until Bloodborne gets a PS5 version or patch, it might fill that void for you if you’re curious what all the fuss is about Bloodborne. Have you played any FromSoft games like Dark Souls?

Edited on by Th3solution

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic