Forums

Topic: Elden Ring Hype Thread

Posts 501 to 520 of 2,024

JJ2

Early on I ll make my way to Castle Mourne we saw in GI footage and try get that sword from the boss. Looks like the type I like and then level up to meet the stats and possibly invest in that sword upgrade.

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

johncalmc

Easy mode for all Soulsborne games is just grinding while you're listening to podcasts and then once you're overlevelled brute forcing the game. There's hardly any bosses that can't be taken out that way, from memory, so if anyone is really in trouble that's an option. Or summoning, of course.

But honestly, if anyone were to struggle with these games I would just say stick with it and you'll get there. The legend of Souls games difficulty is vastly overstated and for most players once the bewilderment and frustration of the first few hours is over with it's fairly manageable. You'll get there, eventually.

Another thing with Souls games is that it can sometimes be discouraging when you're getting annihilated by an enemy only to Google it and discover that everyone thinks that boss is really easy. A thing people need to remember with these games is that your play style and build and what you're comfortable with will dictate which enemies you find most difficult to deal with.

In Bloodborne I was stuck on Vicar Amelia for about eight hours, but most people don't think that's a hard boss, whereas I beat the final boss on my first try and a lot of people consider that one difficult.

The only From game that I would say is genuinely, really tough is Sekiro because you can't really do much about that. There's no traditional levelling system and so you have to just kinda learn it. The last boss in that game is ludicrous.

johncalmc

Twitter:

godofwarj5

@Th3solution I’ll probably be in the same camp waiting for the game a while before diving in. If I hold out till after GoW ragnarok, elden ring will probably be well documented and even might be on holiday sale

godofwarj5

Th3solution

@velio84 That’s good to know; if/when we ever get this rumored remaster and I replay it that sounds like a good way to kickstart the game.

@godofwarj5 The other good thing for those of us who are still somewhat new to the genre is that we have lots of other options to play if we want to scratch the Souls itch in the meantime. Once I finish Demon’s Souls, I’ll be okay for a while but I also have Dark Souls 3 in my backlog and DS1 and 2 can be picked up really cheap. I also picked up Code Vein for cheap a long time ago and want to eventually try that as an ‘anime Souls game.’ I also have Moral Shell, Lords of the Fallen, The Surge, and even Nioh as ‘Souls-like’ games in my library from PS+ that I could venture into if I got desperate. 😅 I’ve avoided playing these since I figured it best to spend my limited game time playing the actual From output first.

One exception though — if you have any interest in Star Wars, I often recommend playing Jedi: Fallen Order as a nice intro to Souls-likes. It has difficulty slider to make it more approachable, but combat and set-up and progression is very Souls inspired.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Mega-Gazz

@godofwarj5 the guy from Fextralife is in the early access camp - the fextra wiki will be solid on day 1, just like DS3 was.

Mega-Gazz

Elodin

@Th3solution I agree with so many "souls like" to also scratch that itch. I would however avoid Lords of the Fallen. It is poorly done and will just create more frustration. Jedi Fallen Order is my favorite non From Software souls like game. Of course being in the Star Wars universe helps. I just wish the light saber acted more like a light saber than a flaming baseball bat. I see why they did it that way though. Other top souls like games for me were Surge 2 and the nioh games.
As far as Elden Ring I believe it will be even easier due to the openness. Something gets to hard go around it. Besides the usual grind to be OP, you can also ride around and find pick ups before taking on anything too hard. I'm not saying the game itself will be easy, but there will be more ways to make it easier.

Edited on by Elodin

Elodin

danlk1ng

pre-ordered Elden ring today

For PC though - it was a bit tricky deciding whether to get it for PS5 or PC but in the end I settled for PC (my PS5 is a "family PS5", used by myself, 3 kids and my wife on occasion - whereas my PC is pretty much just my PC)

danlk1ng

PSN: DanLking

nessisonett

@velio84 I think I’d rather see a review from somebody who likes those sorts of games but isn’t a hardcore From fan. Otherwise it can sometimes lead to reviewers not being quite as objective as any other game.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution My Bloodborne experience echoed yours, it was my first From Software game, and it took me a while to beat Dark Souls Remastered after that, I beat Dark Souls 3 in between the two, but yeah, all time, and patience, it only adds up.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

colonelkilgore

@velio84 yeah I’m gonna play it after Horizon Forbidden West too… think a lot of PlayStation players will end up doing the same. Think we may see the player base of Elden Ring on Xbox dwarfing that of PlayStation until everyone’s cleared Forbidden West.

**** DLC!

kyleforrester87

I’ll absolutely be waiting for Elden Ring, and getting Horizon 2 after. I’m quite looking forward to Horizon actually, but it can wait. And maybe even until after Gran Turismo.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

LiamCroft

@velio84 @nessisonett Just to let you guys know, I'm reviewing Elden Ring for the site.

And what nessisonett said, "a review from somebody who likes those sorts of games but isn’t a hardcore From fan", is basically me. I love the Souls games and Bloodborne, but I really didn't get on with Sekiro. I'm hoping to revisit it in the future, but that won't happen soon. So I really like these sorts of games, but I wouldn't describe myself as a hardcore FromSoftware lover or anything.

PSN ID: Liam_Croft

Elodin

@kyleforrester87 i agree. Elden Ring first. I didn't have GT7 on my radar, but the state of play made an impression.

Elodin

Elodin

@LiamCroft can't wait for your review, have it pre-ordered but looking forward to your review all the same.

Elodin

LiamCroft

@Elodin I can't wait to get started! Hoping code comes through soon.

colonelkilgore

@LiamCroft is there an embargo date, or will the review have to wait until the release date to be published?

**** DLC!

LiamCroft

@colonelkilgore I have no idea, we don't have the game or any details yet. The review embargo will almost certainly lift a few days before release, though.

colonelkilgore

@LiamCroft well hopefully the code will turn up sooner rather than later… rushing a playthrough of any game to ensure a complete review has to negatively effect the experience. On a an open-world souls-like, I’d imagine it’d be a damn sight worse.

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic