Forums

Topic: Elden Ring Hype Thread

Posts 361 to 380 of 2,024

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer as the colonel can't make the closed beta test I'm putting your name forward haha, what do you reckon? will you play it early and tell us all about it? I'd do it myself if it wasn't for my current 'gaming sabbatical'

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2021/10/19/elden-ring-n...

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore @TheBrandedSwordsman Think I'd rather wait until the game is out, as the betas I've played in the past have been rather janky, and kinda put me off from playing the game.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman it’s tempting but think I’ll wait for release. I might actually defeat maneaters by then 😆

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer @colonelkilgore

On that page, in the comments, they discuss portable bonfires, that I think referred to before colonel, one person on there says that the current checkpoint system only works in linear games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne, where your funneled towards checkpoints, but in an open world system you would just most likely be running around trying to find them a lot of the time instead of taking the time to enjoy and explore the world, I know there is the light guiding system that could potentially lead you towards checkpoints, but I don't think that will be the case for the entire game, or even the majority of it. Thoughts?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Is it not most likely to only have the traditional bonfire system in the linear dungeon sections?

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman yeah I like the idea of being able to put down a bonfire where you like… and I definitely agree that it would seem a far more apt method for an open-world.

From what I gather, Miyazaki was toying with the idea fir Dark Souls 3 (what with the coiled ‘sword’ you draw from Iudex Gundyr & place into Firelink Shrine… but he didn’t carry it through. Guess he was waiting for a more appropriate game to use it with.

**** DLC!

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett But then aren't your chances of death much greater when your traversing the huge open field from dungeon to dungeon, with all manner of horrors potentially lurking in the shadows? Doesn't sound very balanced to me.

JohnnyShoulder

@TheBrandedSwordsman I think they have already talked about how checkpoints and fast travel works in the open word sections of the game.

Elden Ring allows players to warp straight to checkpoints from nearly anywhere.

The one catch with this system is that you can't warp in or out of dungeons. It's only while you're exploring the vast open map of The Lands Between that you can warp to any of the checkpoints that you've previously discovered. In fact, these checkpoints are called Sites of Lost Grace, quite the elegant name compared to Dark Souls' bonfires.

However, Eurogamer managed to get a few intriguing map-related comments from an interview with FromSoftware's Yasuhiro Kitao. "We feel like this aspect will be preserved, and even once you get to that information through the fragments of the map, you'll think 'oh that may be an interesting area to explore over here,'" the developer said of maintaining an air of mystery even with the new fast travel system.

"Once you go there, you'll find it has its own multi-tiered-ness, its own three-dimensionality, that will hopefully be interesting to explore," Kitao concluded. It's also worth mentioning that these previews reveal the player can set manual waypoints anywhere on the open map of The Lands Between. These markers then take the shape of a pillar of light while you're playing the game, naturally guiding you to your destination.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Black_Swordsman

@JohnnyShoulder That doesn't solve the problem of actually discovering the checkpoints in the first place, in the Lands Between, I suspect a lot of running around, trying to discover them, whilst simultaneously trying not to get killed by whatever's out there?

JohnnyShoulder

@TheBrandedSwordsman You can also create manual waypoints to help you on your way.

We won't know how all these feels or how balanced everything is until people get some hands on with the game. Even with the network test or whatever they are calling it, those kinda things might also be addressed before the game is out.

colonelkilgore

@lolwhatno mate, you can’t even spoil a From Soft narrative by playing through the whole game 🤣… probably took around 300 hours of various YouTube lore videos to get to what I know now about the world and story of the Dark Souls trilogy and I could probably still learn more!

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@TheBrandedSwordsman Hey man, I saw that got announced the other day. I will most likely be giving it a miss as I feel I've seen enough of the game already.

Obviously don't let that stop anyone from chatting about it in here.

Voltan

I'm probably not going to play the game so I'll take a look at the gameplay stream out of curiosity.

Voltan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic