Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 3,501 to 3,520 of 4,208

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Jinpachi is horrible to fight but the old KOF games are like that every single fight! Gill from Street Fighter 3 is also incredibly difficult but at least I can sort of get that down consistently these days since going back. The old KOF games are brutal 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah but Tekken 5 had some great endings though to make it worthwhile!

and I'm very much much learning that now in regards to KoF @nessisonett 😂

Surprisingly I can actually pull off the specials fairly consistantly too. I'm usually rubbish at anything but MK's/Injustice's simple 3 button special/combo strings...

I'm not pulling off any stupid 10 button super combo mind you or stringing any of these attacks together but I'm awful at Street Fighter, Tekken & Soul Calibur inputs when I've tried them over the years despite trying many hours in the various training stages...

Yet I can bizarrely do some of these six or seven button layouts in KoF and frankly I'm not quite sure how...

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It probably depends on the controller you’re using as well. It’s almost unplayable on the PSP with how uncomfortable it feels 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

... I really... Really... REALLY shouldn't have bought anything else with what I've already got on my plate... 😳

But Yakuza: Kiwami was only £6.39 or summet in the recent sale so.... Yeah. Don't judge me!!! 😂

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

LtSarge

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I haven't paid attention to your experience with the Yakuza series, but have you played through Yakuza 0 yet? Or is Kiwami your next Yakuza game?

LtSarge

HallowMoonshadow

Ahh yeah you wouldn't have known @LtSarge but I played through Yakuza 0 back in Feb/March earlier this year and really enjoyed my time with it

LtSarge

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ah okay, that would explain it then! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. While others may say that Kiwami is underwhelming compared to 0, I actually appreciate Kiwami very much because it connects a lot of elements from 0 while the later Yakuza titles tend to have their own stand-alone stories if that makes any sense. Anyway, hopefully you'll enjoy Kiwami as well!

LtSarge

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah I didn't get anywhere near doing all the stuff for 0 @Iver so the fact that Kiwami's shorter means I may end up giving that a bit more of a shot whenever I get to Kiwami...

... Though Mahjong is no doubt gonna wreck me along with all the chinese gambling games that were in 0 if they return as well 😅

Yeah from what I recall the end sequence of 0 seemed to imply Nishiki would be heavily involved in Kiwami @LtSarge so I'm looking forward to that!

I am a touch disappointed that ma boi Majima is only a supporting role going onwards in the series as I really enjoyed his arc through 0.

But if I recall Kiwami has the "Majima everywhere" mechanic or whatever it's called. Plus he is a fan favourite for a reason so... I should still see plenty of the mad dog

Thrillho

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It's quite jarring to see Majima in his snakeskin jacket after getting so used to him as a suave figure in Zero.

Majima Everywhere is funny and incredibly annoying at the same time and interesting to be fighting him when he's using the different combat modes you used while playing as him in Zero!

There's quite a few little nods to Zero as well in the Kiwami remake which I liked. And yes, it's a hell of a lot shorter than Zero which was quite welcome. Enjoy! (and then go get Kiwami 2 which is one of the best in the series)

Thrillho

LtSarge

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I think the issue was that the developers had no idea how popular Majima was going to become back in the day. If you eventually get to Yakuza 3, 4 and 5, you'll notice how little he shows up throughout the games because people didn't really care about the Yakuza series during the PS3 days. But when Yakuza 0 came out, he got his own story arc and then when the developers remade Yakuza 1 and 2, they added stuff like Majima Everywhere in Kiwami 1 and a brand new storyline featuring Majima in Kiwami 2 that connects the game to 0. So it's obvious that they realised that Majima had become a very important character to this franchise and they needed to have him show up more often in the Kiwami titles as a result. Because if you go back and play the original PS2 games, you won't see Majima anywhere near as much as in Kiwami. That's why the remastered versions of 3, 4 and 5 are going to feel disappointing for people who love Majima because they weren't remade with more Majima content like Kiwami 1 and 2.

Like as a whole, I think the series was put in a rough spot. Yakuza 0 was a huge success but the series had already existed for a decade at that point and there have been numerous entries. So there was no way for the developers to simply make new storylines with 0 in mind, which would've been much better than letting us play the PS3 titles. That's not to say that those games were bad, they just didn't have the feeling of a Yakuza game. Like Yakuza 3 still felt like a decent Yakuza game, but 4 and especially 5 took the series in completely different directions and I didn't like that. Yakuza 6 was an absolute godsend after having experienced 5, which was such a huge departure from a normal Yakuza game. The game wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't a good Yakuza game.

And I mean, think about it: imagine picking up Yakuza 0 in 2017 and finding out that the Kiryu saga is ending the following year with Yakuza 6. You just started with the franchise and one year later, it has already ended. Then two years later they release the next Yakuza game but now it has different characters and a completely different gameplay system. I just feel like all that momentum the series gained with 0 has now been diminished because the Kiryu saga is already over. The games are still good though, but I'm definitely going to miss the characters, which were a huge part of the series.

LtSarge

Thrillho

@LtSarge I found it quite weird in Y6 how they did away with so much of the "normal" Yakuza stuff like no Majima, no Champion District, no Komaki etc etc.

I really liked Y6 but all of that seemed a bit of a surprise.

Thrillho

LtSarge

@Thrillho I wholeheartedly agree. I was so shocked that the only times you see Majima and even Saejima in Y6 were in the beginning and at the end. How can you end off the saga by not even having Majima and Saejima show up that much? I still however liked Y6 a lot because the family that Kiryu hangs out with at Onomichi was super likeable and memorable and that aspect made the game feel like a true Yakuza game since Kiryu was finally "part" of a family once again.

It was kinda the same reason why I liked Yakuza 3 as well. While on the other hand, Yakuza 4 and 5 focused more on different characters rather than preserving the Yakuza theme. As much as I love Akiyama, I wanted to play as the yakuza and not a loan shark or even a detective. It was even worse in Y5 when Saejima's part was ruined due to that whole hunting aspect of the game, and then you had Haruka's idol part and that baseball dude who I doubt anyone cared about. Even Kiryu's part was underwhelming due to the taxi driving. Like all of these things were obviously not bad aspects of the game, they just didn't fit with the whole Yakuza theme.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

Just picked up Castlevania: Requem and The Sinking City in the new Hidden Gems sale.

I’ve been keeping an eye out for Titan Souls, Dead Nation and Alienation for months but they always manage to swerve the sales for some reason 🤷‍♂️

**** DLC!

Gremio108

I've also been shopping in the Hidden Gems sale today. Got Donut County and Owlboy, and I might come back for more later in the week. So many games in this sale I've been meaning to try.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 I keep meaning to get Donut County. You'll have to post some impressions as and when you get around to playing it, if it's not too much trouble!

I had some spare credit but ended up getting cheap Shinobi Striker DLC, because I'm weak.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger I actually had an hour or so on it this morning. It seems a fun little game, kind of like a Middle American version of Katamari Damacy.

The humour is what you might call 'off the wall' and would probably depend on whether you're in the mood for it. It made me smile and I think you'd appreciate it, but remember when I was convinced you'd like Burly Men at Sea and you hated it? This could be Burly Men MkII.

Tell you what though, there is something incredibly satisfying about the core gameplay - watching a car disappear into your Acme-style hole in the ground is immensely pleasing.

sorteddan

@RogerRoger
apologies for butting in. My opinion, for what it's worth...
Regarding Donut County - I agree with @Gremio108 in comparisons to Katamari, it does have that feel and similar style to it, only with ever increasing hole size rather than a bigger ball. (Insert your own joke here)
Each stage revolves around a different characters tale on how they end up at the bottom of the hole, flash back style and will take maybe 10mins. It's a simple enough distraction but I found it far too easy and short for any real challenge . I did enjoy it but honestly did the whole (hole?) thing start to finish in probably less than 3 hours.
So it's a simple, pleasant diversion for an afternoon. If it's going cheap enough and you want a stress free, quick n easy plat then give it a go.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Gremio108

Yeah I think I had about 45 minutes today and it looks like I'm halfway done. There might be some longeveity in trying to figure out the trophies without a guide but I suspect not much.

Overall, I think what @Sorteddan is saying is that it all comes down to whether you prefer holes or balls. Of course, there's plenty of fun to be had with both.

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Oh, awesome! Cheers for that (and further thanks to @Sorteddan as well; never apologise for helping out, I'm grateful for your input)! That makes three positive impressions, as I believe Kid has written warmly about the game before, if memory serves. I do like scattering these short, simple kinds of games in amongst my usual fare, and came away from Untitled Goose Game really disappointed recently, so I need a good one to redress the balance. I might just bite.

And yeah, I didn't like Burly Men at Sea in the slightest, but at least the gameplay in Donut County sounds a bit more universally satisfying and visceral, even if the humour doesn't land. Although I reckon it might, given the context and setting.

No comment on the whole "balls vs. holes" debate, mind.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Slightly off topic, but just wondering if you ended up falling off Ghost of Tsushima. Which is fine if so, as sometimes a game just won’t click even when it seems like a slam dunk.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic