Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 3,021 to 3,040 of 4,206

PSVR_lover

“Blood Drive is funny bad AND bad bad (although, for a big fan of the series,”

I loved this game, despite its many flaws. Very cool in a creepy way. Kinda a goth type of game too. Not for everybody, but it liked it.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Ralizah

@PSVR_lover I wanted to love it. To the point where I actually zealously defended it for a while, despite knowing in my heart that it wasn't good. But I'm glad you enjoyed it, regardless.

You've played the previous two games in the series, right?

@Gadjo Yeah, covid fears aside, our family's self-imposed lockdown hasn't really been an issue for me. I could stay indoors for the rest of my life and be happy. If I wasn't such a dedicated gamer, I could easily move up to the mountains or something and never be heard from again.

Definitely play the first Corpse Party game. Preferable the PSP/3DS version, or the Switch/PS4 ports once they release. With headphones on. The disparity between the simple visuals and the horrifying sound design is actually really effective, as it ends up leaving a lot to the imagination (the brief anime adaptation left nothing to the imagination, and it's pretty much a hardcore exploitation film as a result).

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The quality of the Trails ports are what have given me some hope for Ys IX on Switch, actually! But, y'know, turn-based JRPG vs action JRPG. Especially when the latter seems to choke on the PS4 at points, too.

Of course... very different limitations and support needed to run them in a stable fashion.

Very surprised to hear the PS4 version chokes up a bit though @Ralizah... Is that only in the newly created content or just in general do you happen to know? (I wasn't actually aware of the extra PS4 content existed either til you said it)

Ralizah wrote:

And you're totally right. I missed it, but apparently Corpse Party is also going to PS4! Not that surprising, I guess, considering the original trilogy was exclusive to Playstation hardware in the West for a long time. I definitely recommend giving it a look: certain elements don't... translate as well these days, but the original is one of my favorite video games, and, considering it looks like an RPGMaker game, it manages to be incredibly unsettling if you put on headphones and get into it. Particularly the sound design. The most disturbing section of the game is actually text and sounds set to a black screen, but by the time I was done with it, I just sort of quietly set my Vita aside and didn't go back to it for a few days. And I'm a lifelong horror fan. It strongly made the case to me that, with appropriately effective storytelling and sound design, a game can look like ANYTHING and still be scary.

I have actually played a RPGMaker game before... One of the most well known ones of Ib. Whilst it wasn't that scary or anything it effectively portrays what it sets out to do fairly well and was a nice little yarn. I'm not a graphics or performance snob myself either, as I'm sure you're rather aware of, so the visuals in particular will be just fine.

In fact I did end up looking up the start of Corpse Party 2 and I honestly thought that the sounds of the ventilator (and/or whatever other machine there was) was inside my head or something and was rather unsettling.

I didn't watch too much though as... Well... I have a weak gag reflex and you probably realise what I'm talking about that put me off watching anymore of that one! 😅 (I ended up becoming rather busy too but sill!) Still a rather effective opening none the less there!

Ralizah wrote:

One of the aspects I like most about the original game is how elaborate some of the bad endings were. I made a point of getting every single ending in the game (there's a lot of them), and most of them are short-ish and traceable back to easily identifiable choices made shortly beforehand, but some of the late game ones seem to go on for a while and get really warped. It was a lot of fun.

You could probably watch Book of Shadows on youtube without commentary and not miss much, tbh. The gameplay and player choice elements overall are incredibly minimal.

Blood Drive is funny bad AND bad bad (although, for a big fan of the series, it was a little difficult to see the humor in it upon release). The damn thing isn't even stable; I can't tell you how many times it crashed on my Vita as I was going for the platinum trophy.

That's really quite cool to hear about the original with the multitude of various endings that actually seem worthwhile to experience and get to and not a complete waste of time -Cough- NieR Automata -Cough-.

Not really comparable in the slightest but the first two Blazblue games had some incredibly wacky joke endings you could unlock through it's story mode and despite my mediocre at best fighting game skills I did something similar to yourself there and made a point to unlock them all.

I'll be sure to bookmark Book Of Shadows to watch then when I have the chance. And that's a shame about Blood Drive with it being very unstable... I'm impressed you managed to platinum it despite all that!

At least the music in it was still pretty good

I listened to a few tracks and I can confirm that they are quite good!

Oh and I have seen your Mario Galaxy Review btw... I just haven't had to time to read it (Or any if the others I missed) yet! It looks epic and there's some wonderful screenshots you've put with it!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

kyleforrester87

I preorder Nier Replicant because why not I guess. Who knows if I’ll enjoy it as much as Automata (I am prepared to be disappointed) but it has earned the benefit of the doubt.

I also preordered Bravely Default 2, which isn’t a PS4 game. Go ahead and report me!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

colonelkilgore

@kyleforrester87 I so hope that it lives up to its demastered sequel, the fact that it is in the hands of a virginal dev team worries me though.

**** DLC!

kyleforrester87

@colonelkilgore I dunno, all the meaty stuff is there for them to use. I’m just worried it’ll be like Xenoblade Chronicles where I played the second and loved it and looked forward to playing the remaster of the original, only to wonder what the hell people see in it. It’s really quite boring. The characters are terrible!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 Reported for Jam. Whoops, I meant Spam.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 Calm down dear, its only a commercial!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

Very surprised to hear the PS4 version chokes up a bit though Ralizah... Is that only in the newly created content or just in general do you happen to know? (I wasn't actually aware of the extra PS4 content existed either til you said it)

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy So, when Ys VIII was ported to PS4, there were extra dungeons added to the sections where you play as Dana. These can get quite a bit larger, and, at times, more puzzle-y, than the dungeons in the main game. I think they're all actually different sections of one gigantic dungeon, but you access the different floors at different points in the game, so whatever.

Anyway, the Switch version maintains a mostly consistent 30-ish fps framerate through the majority of the game, but it slowed to a crawl during a couple of Dana's added dungeons.

I'm cool with a lower framerate if it's reasonable, like it appears to be with Persona 5 Strikers on Switch (it seems to stick to 30 fps pretty religiously). Even sharp framerate drops aren't the end of the world when they happen and are over with quickly. But entire dungeons turning into slideshows is... too much for me.

It's possible this element has been patched since then. I hope it was.

The other PS4 vers. added stuff was fine, though. No issues with suppression battles, for example, which were added to the PS4 version as well.

In fact I did end up looking up the start of Corpse Party 2 and I honestly thought that the sounds of the ventilator (and/or whatever other machine there was) was inside my head or something and was rather unsettling.

I didn't watch too much though as... Well... I have a weak gag reflex and you probably realise what I'm talking about that put me off watching anymore of that one! 😅 (I ended up becoming rather busy too but sill!) Still a rather effective opening none the less there!

I still need to play Corpse Party 2. I've been waiting years for the other parts of it to be made, but I think what's there is all we're getting.

That's really quite cool to hear about the original with the multitude of various endings that actually seem worthwhile to experience and get to and not a complete waste of time -Cough- NieR Automata -Cough-.

Not really comparable in the slightest but the first two Blazblue games had some incredibly wacky joke endings you could unlock through it's story mode and despite my mediocre at best fighting game skills I did something similar to yourself there and made a point to unlock them all.

I'll be sure to bookmark Book Of Shadows to watch then when I have the chance. And that's a shame about Blood Drive with it being very unstable... I'm impressed you managed to platinum it despite all that!

I liked NieR: Automata a lot, but yeah, the non-main endings to that game were absolutely a waste of time. The Bad Endings in Corpse Party games are part of the spooky fun: it's interesting to see the worst case scenario for the various situations the large-ish cast finds itself embroiled in.

Cool to hear about BlazBlue's joke endings. I'm not much for fighting games, but I might look those up!

Blood Drive isn't worth pursuing the platinum trophy for, but I don't regret doing so. For all of its issues, I still really love the Corpse Party series. If the PS4 version of the original has a platinum trophy, I'll probably end up getting it on that platform as well (and physically on Switch for collection purposes, if possible).

Oh and I have seen your Mario Galaxy Review btw... I just haven't had to time to read it (Or any if the others I missed) yet! It looks epic and there's some wonderful screenshots you've put with it!

"Epic" is one word for it, I suppose. I'm surprised the forum didn't choke on that novella of a review like it usually does with my longer posts.

Sounds like you've been busy. Your place of employment taking all the necessary precautions to keep you safe?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Just picked up 13 Sentinels and Odinsphere in the Big in Japan sale... appreciate the heads up from the both of yous... I had looked through the BiJ selection earlier in the week and completely missed the fact that 13 Sentinels was there.

Know absolutely nothing about Odinsphere but it was £16 and Foxy had just gushed so I thought what the hell... you have to love that ‘savings’ screen just before you confirm the purchase. £99.98 worth of gaming for £40 and some change... you love to see it!

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

BearsEatBeets

I just got Final Fantasy 7 remake and will make it my main game once I've finished Valhalla. Never played the original and only played some of XV before dropping it but I liked the demo so thought I'd get it when it got to around £20. I actually purchased it from Amazon weeks ago when it got close to that but it ended up being the only time I've had a parcel from them just never turn up. Strangely they wouldn't do a replacement so I got a refund, however the price had already gone back up. It finally went cheap enough again so now I've got it.
Anyway, long tangent aside, I look forward to giving it a go.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Sweet. I’ve been interested in both titles. A 9/10 and 8/10 respectively if you take the Push Square reviews. Pretty sure I’ll at least pick up 13 Sentinels too before the end of the sale. I have store credit available so it’s like playing with fake money! No consequences! 😜
The only other game I’m interested in buying right now is The Last of Us 2, and I’m determined to wait on the announcement about the inevitable PS5 version first.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution yeah I’m waiting on potential PS5 versions of Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima too. There are a couple of other games I wanna add to the backlog too... Chronos before the Ashes, Kingdoms of Amalur: Rereckoning, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Judgement and the two Evil Within Games. I’m also really looking forward to Returnal.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Bentleyma

I picked up Death Mark. Now that I've finished Ys IX I'll play that until Persona 5 Strikers is out.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

HallowMoonshadow

Oh... I was just going to start replying to you in the recommendation thread @colonelkilgore and here you are having already bought it only 30 minutes after asking me in the reccomendations thread. Guess I might as well post my reply anyway so you have an idea of what to expect and tag @Th3solution too seeing as he seems to be interested in it 😅

Without going too in depth Odin Sphere is like the other Vanillaware titles with 2D anime artwork and sprites as you're probably already well aware of no doubt.

It's essentially a 2D action rpg that revolves around 5 different protagonists set in the world of Erion.

War has broken out between the Fairies of Ringford and The Warrior Kingdom of Ragnanival over the Crystallization Cauldron, a mystical artifact from the ruined kingdom of Valentine, that can create crystals from phozons (The essence of life) that can then be made into jeweled weapons called Psyphers that can directly absorb the phozons/life from slain enemies.

And well... The cauldron may be part of an ancient prophecy that fortells the world's demise.

The set up of the game being you're a young girl reading a set of books in the attic with each book covering a different protagonist.

There's Gwendolyn, the daughter of Demon lord Odin and one of the Valkyrie, Cornelius, the crown prince of Titania, Mercedes, the Fairy Princess of Ringford, Oswald, The Shadow Knight & Velvet, The Forest Witch.

The characters cross paths at various points and you gradually learn the overarching plot as you progress throughout it. There's a handy timeline and scene viewer in the attic so you can see when the various events take place between the perspectives of the five protagonists.

The dialogue is very Shakesperean and it blends that with a lot of norse mythology and it's own story ideas and beats for the main plot.

The combat's really quite quick (I guess you could sort've like a beat 'em up? It's similar to Muramasa's combat from my understanding?) with each character having different movesets and mechanics with Leifthrasir adding a lot of new abilities and spells for all the characters that you can upgrade and find throughout the levels. There's also an alchemy system to make various potions from healing tonics and antidotes to firebombs and the like.

The only major downside I'd say is that it only has 8 main areas in the game with each character having 6/7 main chapters so you'll be going to the same places throughout the game frequently so it might look/feel a bit samey at times though the interweaving story means you'll be visiting them for very different reasons at different points in time.

... That's all I can think of at the moment. Very easy plat too (I think you just have to collect everything and beat the game) as I've got it and I don't really bother with those.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic