Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 3,001 to 3,020 of 4,199

nessisonett

I just get whatever’s cheapest. Physical’s often cheaper at launch but digital goes to a lower price during sales. Although most of my Switch games are physical because Nintendo don’t understand pricing.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

DerMeister

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, DMC3 was my starting point. It was the first game in the series I heard of and saw a lot of promotion for it at the time of it's release. In hindsight, it probably helps it was a prequel.

I'm excited to see how the now 20 year old DMC1 holds up, and I suppose it's only fair I give DMC2 a shot as well.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

HallowMoonshadow

Ha ha well I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on both titles when you get round to them @DerMeister! 😄

The DMC trilogy might be what I play next after I finish up Yakuza Zero, and Rayman Legends for Game Club, as I haven't played any of them for something over ten years myself!

Well I couldn't help myself and spended a little bit more. My last purchase for a while but I ended up getting a new physical copy of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa Of Dana for £20. No idea when I'll get round to it though

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (sales for this game are really uncommon on PSN)

Nabbed both games digitally for a little under $15, which seems like a pretty good deal to me.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy That's a REALLY good for Ys VIII. Guess it's not super out of print over in limeyland.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Pditty1980

Juat bought myself a physical edition of Gta V premium edition

Pditty1980

HallowMoonshadow

Ha ha I got it from the NIS America Europe store @Ralizah, which was the only place (that I trusted) that actually had a PS4 copy that I've seen looking around for it so I still think it's somewhat rare over here?

I've had my eye on it for a good few months actually (Thankfully it hadn't gone out of stock at any point) but I have to admit I was a little hesitant after not getting on with Cold Steel 2 (Which made me question my thoughts on Cold Steel 1 too... )

But I looked up a couple videos on the gameplay (Just the starting hour) and played some of the demo for Ys IX Monstrum Nox and decided to give it a chance.

Apparently they put out an entirely new dub & translation for this through a patch? I have to admit I'm kinda curious to see how "bad" this original version of it is!

Nice haul on your end too... I haven't played any of the Squeenix Tomb Raider trilogy but I was pretty tempted myself with it only being £2.50 or whatever.

I'm curious as to what you'll think of Hellblade too... I've never quite liked the sound of it myself to be perfectly honest despite the praise it has and the only Ninja Theory game I've played was a demo for DMC:DMC... But I'd personally like to forget ever happened

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, there was so much fan outcry over the bad translation for it that Falcom noticed and NISA retranslated the entire game. Pretty embarrassing, frankly; they've clearly been a LOT more careful with their english translations since.

What I've seen of the old one (I played the Switch version, which shipped with the new translation on cart) wasn't THAT bad. It's not unreadable or anything. But, in this day and age, big companies have no business putting out PS1-tier localizations, and Falcom fans treat that companies output like it's shakespearian brilliance or something, despite my impressions having always been that the writing in their games is usually pretty average (although, for the record, despite some stereotypical dialogue and characters, I actually really like the narrative elements in Ys VIII).

Thanks. Yeah, I've had Tomb Raider on my PC for ages now, but this version has some enhancements and... well, I'd just rather play it on a PS4. I don't often say that, but it's true here.

I'll probably end up playing the sequels on PS4 as well if I like it. They won't run really well, but I'm also the person playing The Witcher 3 on their Switch, so it's not like I'm unable to handle performance downgrades.

I'll be perfectly honest: I bought Hellblade for the acclaimed binaural audio element and almost nothing else. Otherwise, it really doesn't look like the sort of thing I'd usually go for. But at $10, what's the harm? I might even end up really liking it.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

... Now I've got to see what this original translation is like @Ralizah!

Cold Steel 1 & 2 had pretty good localisations and the voice acting was rather on point (mostly) even if the characters themselves were incredibly tropey, and honestly a bit 1 dimensional at times, whilst the story itself was a bit... typical though interconnected rather well.

I certainly wouldn't call it Shakesperean brilliance though! (Epecially 2... That couldn't keep the tone it wanted to save it's life, was stupidly paced and frankly the end was just a mess)

I'll be sure to give you a tag whenever I get round to playing Ys!

-EDIT- I hope you enjoy Tomb Raider and Hellblade whenever you get round to them. Binaural audio is just 3D audio right? Or is there some key difference between the two?

And enjoy Blood and Wine! There's quite a lot of praise for that expansion and actually sounds like a worthwhile bit of DLC.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

There's a gallery showing off a few of the offending lines. I'm still laughing about them turning an area called "Crevice of the Archeozoic Era" into "Archeozoic Big Hole."

Also, stuff like swapping recipe descriptions.

Not unplayable, but, you know, still not a good look.

I had a lot of issues with the first Trails in the Sky game, some of which was the writing. I'm going to play the second and (maybe) third games this year on the assumption that they get better. We'll see.

Nice, yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Ys VIII. It really made a fan out of me.

Binaural audio is 3D audio, yes. Some games make a point of showing it off, like Corpse Party on the PSP and, I guess, Hellblade. It's REALLY cool for horror games when done right.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

I'm still laughing about them turning an area called "Crevice of the Archeozoic Era" into "Archeozoic Big Hole."

... That is sheer perfection @Ralizah!

The fact they screwed up recipes, and in turn put the wrong effects in the descriptions, is actually pretty bad form. I assumed it was just gonna be sone particulary wonky/wooden dialogue and some incredibly literal translations like you've shown above.

Thanks for finding those for me by the way. I was just gonna leave the game unpatched and try the first half hour or so and then patch it and restart that first half hour to see if there was any differences!

Have you bought Monstrum Nox? Or are you perhaps waiting for the Switch version of it?

Corpse Party did Binaural/3D audio? Wasn't that a psp game? That's rather impressive if so! Also I think I read somewhere that the first title is getting a remake for... I wanna say ps4 and switch?

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy NISA has a history of rocky translations, which has made them something of a pariah among enthusiasts of Japanese games. Not even just bad translations, but sometimes altering names and/or dialogue just for the sake of a bad joke. Like turning a character in an Atelier game named Esty Erhard into... sigh ... "Esty Dee."

With that said, I've noticed a considerable downtick in complaints about their localizations since the Ys VIII translation fiasco, so I think they're probably putting more care into their translation work now.

RE: Monstrum Nox, I'm waiting. Partially because I want to see how the Switch version performs (if the framerate gets as rough on Switch as it did with Ys VIII, I'll probably just get it on PS4), and partially because I'm playing through the series in order now anyway, so I won't be getting to it for a while regardless.

Yeah, Corpse Party on PSP was a pretty notable 3D audio showcase, which is indeed very impressive for a portable game! I played it back in 2012 or something, and was pretty blown away by it at the time. You could hear screams behind you, ghosts whispering behind your ear, and, impressively, one scene features a fly that you can literally hear moving around your heard. I'm sure it's far less sophisticated than whatever Sony is doing with 3D audio on the PS5, but it sold me on the potential of the technology.

The first game is getting a Switch port with some additional content, which is how it goes with ports of this game. Its history is interesting: it started as a freeware PC game in the mid-90s that was made in RPG Maker. Then, in 2008, it was remade as Corpse Party: BloodCovered (I believe this is the version of the game that is on Steam, although it was only localized years after the PSP port). This attracted the attention of a professional visual novel publisher, and it was ported to PSP in 2010 as Corpse Party: BloodCovered: ...Repeated Fear. This version is the one subsequent ports use as a base, since it has professional artwork, a more focused story, professional Japanese voice acting, and, of course, binaural audio support. It's also the first version to come overseas, and so is just called "Corpse Party" outside of Japan. The game has been ported to the 3DS with added content, and the same is going to be true of the Switch port. I imagine all subsequent versions of the game make use of binaural audio, since it's a rather famous aspect of the production at this point, and there's no reason whatsoever to remove it.

Other games in the series have an equally interesting history. On PSP, you had Book of Shadows, a visual novel follow-up to BloodCovered: ...Repeated Fear that featured alternate universe takes on storylines from the original, canon prequel storylines following characters who would go on to be involved in the events of the first game, and a final chapter that functions as the canon sequel to the first game, and was designed to set-up Blood Drive. Blood Drive came out on the Vita and... oh my god, it's bad. Anyway, there's also Corpse Party 2, which appears to be only very loosely related to the original, and is more of its own thing, but since 2013 only the first chapter of the game has been released. There's also the romantic comedy PSP spinoff (which was ported to and localized on PC worldwide, to my amazement) Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash.

I've thought about playing through every version of the game at some point and then doing a gigantic post about it on the forum. We'll see.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy NISA has a history of rocky translations, which has made them something of a pariah among enthusiasts of Japanese games. Not even just bad translations, but sometimes altering names and/or dialogue just for the sake of a bad joke. Like turning a character in an Atelier game named Esty Erhard into... sigh ... "Esty Dee."

Uhhh... I... It's so bad I don't actually get the joke they're trying to pull there to be honest @Ralizah

Good to hear though they've been getting better their translations!

Ralizah wrote:

RE: Monstrum Nox, I'm waiting. Partially because I want to see how the Switch version performs (if the framerate gets as rough on Switch as it did with Ys VIII, I'll probably just get it on PS4), and partially because I'm playing through the series in order now anyway, so I won't be getting to it for a while regardless.

Oh yeah? I figured you'd get it on PC if the switch version wasn't up to snuff. The Trails of Cold Steel III switch port turned out pretty well though didn't it? I know they play completely diferently and as you mention YS VIII was a bit choppy... Still bodes well though?

Oh and my copy of Lacrimosa of Dana turned up yesterday. Really quite surprised that the translation patch is only one gb big, I was expecting a good 5 or something (Or at least two) but I guess the audio isn't that big luckily. I only ran around the ship but I'd say it looks a touch better then the first two Cold Steel games graphically, at least to my eye. Still kinda PS2 era though... Not that I mind lol

Ralizah wrote:

Yeah, Corpse Party on PSP was a pretty notable 3D audio showcase, which is indeed very impressive for a portable game! I played it back in 2012 or something, and was pretty blown away by it at the time. You could hear screams behind you, ghosts whispering behind your ear, and, impressively, one scene features a fly that you can literally hear moving around your heard. I'm sure it's far less sophisticated than whatever Sony is doing with 3D audio on the PS5, but it sold me on the potential of the technology.

Oh lord that sounds really quite unsettling 😅

I couldn't quite say if it's less sophisticated then Sony's PS5 tech... Though I think it's a bit more dependant on the implimentation of the tech and the genre of the game. Like Sony's 3D audio seems to be pretty decent? But you're not gonna get really immersive audio experiences with Miles Morales or Demon's Souls (Though Demon's does seem to actually use it fairly well from what I gather?). Maybe Resi 8 or even Returnal will use the 3D audio much more interestingly?

Ralizah wrote:

The first game is getting a Switch port with some additional content, which is how it goes with ports of this game. Its history is interesting: it started as a freeware PC game in the mid-90s that was made in RPG Maker. Then, in 2008, it was remade as Corpse Party: BloodCovered (I believe this is the version of the game that is on Steam, although it was only localized years after the PSP port). This attracted the attention of a professional visual novel publisher, and it was ported to PSP in 2010 as Corpse Party: BloodCovered: ...Repeated Fear. This version is the one subsequent ports use as a base, since it has professional artwork, a more focused story, professional Japanese voice acting, and, of course, binaural audio support. It's also the first version to come overseas, and so is just called "Corpse Party" outside of Japan. The game has been ported to the 3DS with added content, and the same is going to be true of the Switch port. I imagine all subsequent versions of the game make use of binaural audio, since it's a rather famous aspect of the production at this point, and there's no reason whatsoever to remove it.

Other games in the series have an equally interesting history. On PSP, you had Book of Shadows, a visual novel follow-up to BloodCovered: ...Repeated Fear that featured alternate universe takes on storylines from the original, canon prequel storylines following characters who would go on to be involved in the events of the first game, and a final chapter that functions as the canon sequel to the first game, and was designed to set-up Blood Drive. Blood Drive came out on the Vita and... oh my god, it's bad. Anyway, there's also Corpse Party 2, which appears to be only very loosely related to the original, and is more of its own thing, but since 2013 only the first chapter of the game has been released. There's also the romantic comedy PSP spinoff (which was ported to and localized on PC worldwide, to my amazement) Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash.

I've thought about playing through every version of the game at some point and then doing a gigantic post about it on the forum. We'll see.

Oh wow... To be honest I only know of Corpse Party because I'm pretty sure you mentioned at some point before, probably in passing, and took note of it... But with that very interesting history lesson there you've really sold me on giving it a proper look!

Looking up on the web about it, it does say that this new port is being ported to PS4 as well as switch in japan at the very least... So I'll have to keep an eye out. Might look up the other games on youtube though as I most likely won't ever get to playing those any point. I'll especially give BloodDrive a look if it's as bad as you say (Which I assume is in a funny kind of bad way?).

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Esty Dee = STD. I only just realised it there and I regret it already 😂😂

mookysam

@nessisonett Gross. I had to google it and was expecting some busty lady with a hemline up to her hoo-ha, but she's dressed rather conservatively. I wonder what drove the localisers to that monstrosity.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@Gadjo Oh wow, long time.

I'm hanging in there. It has been an... interesting period of time to be an American, to put it lightly.
You doing good?

I'll defend Working Designs a bit here insofar as their liberal localizations still had a lot of work poured into them. There was more love and respect for the source material in PS1-era Lunar than in a number of PS3-era NISA localizations.

But I am also glad NISA is a thing. They've been better in the localization department, afaik, since the fallout with Ys VIII. And, like Atlus, they did a lot of heavy lifting to bring niche series to the U.S. in the PS2 era when most companies wouldn't touch them, and I do really appreciate that. Right now, my appreciation mostly stems from their incredibly robust support for the Nintendo Switch. Most of the Trails games will be on the system before long, and most of the credit for that goes to NIS.

@mookysam @nessisonett Apparently the "joke" is there because the character is hunting for a husband, or something. I dunno. It's not really defensible. And it's egregious enough that it's often trotted out as evidence of NIS' lack of regard for the properties they localize by their haters.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The quality of the Trails ports are what have given me some hope for Ys IX on Switch, actually! But, y'know, turn-based JRPG vs action JRPG. Especially when the latter seems to choke on the PS4 at points, too.

I'm not really a performance snob, so as long as dips aren't severe and sustained, I'll be good. I'm hoping the Ys VIII port was only so rough because the company had little experience with porting Falcom's games at that point. But even then, 90% of the game ran fine. It was mainly late-game PS4-specific additions that ended up cratering the framerate.

And you're totally right. I missed it, but apparently Corpse Party is also going to PS4! Not that surprising, I guess, considering the original trilogy was exclusive to Playstation hardware in the West for a long time. I definitely recommend giving it a look: certain elements don't... translate as well these days, but the original is one of my favorite video games, and, considering it looks like an RPGMaker game, it manages to be incredibly unsettling if you put on headphones and get into it. Particularly the sound design. The most disturbing section of the game is actually text and sounds set to a black screen, but by the time I was done with it, I just sort of quietly set my Vita aside and didn't go back to it for a few days. And I'm a lifelong horror fan. It strongly made the case to me that, with appropriately effective storytelling and sound design, a game can look like ANYTHING and still be scary.

One of the aspects I like most about the original game is how elaborate some of the bad endings were. I made a point of getting every single ending in the game (there's a lot of them), and most of them are short-ish and traceable back to easily identifiable choices made shortly beforehand, but some of the late game ones seem to go on for a while and get really warped. It was a lot of fun.

You could probably watch Book of Shadows on youtube without commentary and not miss much, tbh. The gameplay and player choice elements overall are incredibly minimal.

Blood Drive is funny bad AND bad bad (although, for a big fan of the series, it was a little difficult to see the humor in it upon release). The damn thing isn't even stable; I can't tell you how many times it crashed on my Vita as I was going for the platinum trophy.

At least the music in it was still pretty good

nessisonett

@Ralizah I actually liked Esty quite a bit in Rorona as well. She wasn’t very interesting but nobody really was in that game.

Onigumo

Do you guys have any recomendation for a story centered game? Ps: Not too anime please

Onigumo

nessisonett

@Onigumo Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition or you could just wait for Disco Elysium to come to PS4.

Onigumo

@nessisonett planescape is one of my favorites games, i looking foward baldur gates 3. Disco elysium hum? Thanks i will take a look... some more?

Onigumo

nessisonett

@Onigumo If you like Planescape then Disco Elysium is basically perfect for you. In terms of games out just now though, I guess maybe Divinity Original Sin 2? Or maybe the Yakuza series if you haven’t played it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic