Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 4,441 to 4,460 of 6,463

RogerRoger

As much as I'm enjoying My Parents' Mentally Unhinged Siblings, I kinda wanted to balance out its surrealism with something different today, and so have started my first-ever Call of Duty game. Courtesy of PS Plus (one of the few times I've ever added anything it offered to my Library) I downloaded and made a start on the campaign from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered.

Ten years ago, maybe even five, I'd have loved this... but now? Not so much, and not sure why. Some of its moments have been unquestionably impressive, but a lot of the in-between has been boring.

Anyway, I'll stick it out before slagging it off any further. Might even try the multiplayer.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger An interesting expedition into PS Plus games there. I’ve claimed all… I think it was 5 now… COD games they have offered on PS Plus over the last couple years. I got as far as downloading WWII and it still sits on my external HDD unplayed.
So far your early impressions don’t have my champing at the bit to jump into the series yet.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I think the progress you've made playing your five speaks volumes. I've got nothing against the franchise, never have done, but I'm quite shocked by how effectively its most famous and popular instalment is proving every preconception and generalisation true (both the good and the bad, but at least not the ugly, because the remaster looks every inch as gorgeous as it should).

Interesting you were gonna (or still will) start with WWII and not play them in release order. No judgement there; I only claimed Modern Warfare Remastered for free as a test, and figured I'd buy the others if I had enough fun. I think my wallet's safe for the time being.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Voltan

I tried CoD WWII and didn't like it - I liked every other CoD campaign I played (at least 5 of them, probably more) but that one didn't do it for me.

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan that’s unfortunate because WWII is historically so interesting to me. I suppose it’s been beaten to death with game and movie renditions though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Bentleyma

Just been playing Dark Alliance. I actually really like it, even if it is a bit of a technical mess on my PS4 Pro. I do find it odd that amazing looking games like God of War and Death Stranding look and play really well and this average looking game stutters and has screen tearing. At least the gameplay is fun. I’m only a few levels in, but I’m enjoying the combat and it’s really satisfying finding new loot.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Jimmer-jammer

I’m about 3 hours into Amnesia: Rebirth. Unless things dramatically improve in a hurry, I’m sorry to say that this is a crushing disappointment.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

PSVR_lover

I’m playing Persona 5, loving it so far.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

HallowMoonshadow

With this ghastly summer heat creeping in I really haven't had the patience to play something like Nioh and seeing as it's so, SO close to me finally being off work for the summer holidays I returned to Pathfinder: Kingmaker and have been playing it the past week.

I've finally got through the first arc of the game and have finally beaten the Stag Lord (who was no fudging joke), taking the Stolen Lands as my own.

Up until now it's been pure CRPG similar to Divinity Original Sin so the whole kingdom management aspect that's suddenly crept in certainly makes it stand out (... It's a bit overwhelming too though).

Also tried some of it's rogue-like dungeon crawl DLC yesterday which was fun with each floor having effects like all the monsters being electrified, concealment/invisibility effects and stuff like that. No idea how long it is but I can see myself sinking a lot of hours just into that mode too.

Having a good time with Pathfinder: Kingmaker and look forward to playing it more!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy God, I totally forgot that you’re still in school down south. At this point I wish my brother was still in school, I’m already sick of him 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

Re-started the original Watch Dogs 7 years after popping my one and only trophy on it back in 2014. It’s not bad actually… not as fun or versatile as Watch Dogs 2 but decent nonetheless.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@colonelkilgore Good to hear. You said you'd be returning to re-evaluate it, and I'm pleased it's off to a positive start, so here's hoping the rest of it continues to hold up for you.

Making It So Since 1987

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore @Th3solution @Jimmer-jammer I have returned to Bloodborne and am currently leveling up, grinding away, blood echo-farming to do that, 1 level per day is my aim as I am currently at 74 of a predicted 99 Vit tank build, might level up Str/Skl to 30-50 after that but probably not, I will probably play through the rest of the game with my 99 Vit tank build, collecting blood stone chunks and whatnot along the way in order to make my weapon more powerful (I'm using the Hunter's Axe) and might do some Chalice Dungeons later in order to get some Blood Gems as well, anything to avoid future farming once I hit the 99 Vit mark.

How are your games going?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman glad you've returned to 'the greatest game of all-time'... I'm still holding out hope for that PS5 remaster, as I would love to earn another BB plat.

Couldn't really offer advice on what not to farm as its been a while since I played it... and don't think I concentrated too much on VIT, intact I'm pretty sure I didn't get very close to 99 on any of the stats.

What I will say is the Chalice Dungeons get a bad rap... they are very repetitive but the boss fights are fantastic. I'll never forget getting my ass handed to me many times by the Chalice Dungeon Amygdala... the feeling on eventually beating it was incredible.

I'm currently playing the og Watch Dogs, started it yesterday and quite enjoying it.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman Hopefully Bloodborne is still as fun to play as ever for you. I know you’ve cleared the Dark Souls trilogy and Bloodborne, but have you played Sekiro? I was wondering your thoughts on it since From turned the gameplay around a little bit.

I’m unfortunately no better off than I was a few days ago. I have had too much going on lately that I haven’t made progress on games. Some of it is mental fatigue from some projects that I’m working on but some of it is just extraneous distractions that are unpredictable. There’s an outside chance I might get to enjoy a little game time later today. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼.

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Actually I never beat Dark Souls 2. Didn't care for it, like so many others. I tried Sekiro, couldn't get my head around the gameplay, beat Chained Ogre but when it came to Genichiro I was stumped, just couldn't get a hold of him on his horse So yeah it's just Dark Souls 1 & 3 and Bloodborne that I've beaten. (I beat Dark Souls 3 twice with alternate endings so that should make up for not beating Dark Souls 2 somewhat, hopefully!) I hope to get an alternative ending in Bloodborne this time around, by beating two more (optional) bosses, also hope to acquire the Cainhurst Armor Set and Ludwig's Holy Blade for a Guts (Berserk manga protagonist) build.

Are the distractions coming from people in your life or wha? (without intending to get too personal or intrusive) feel free to respond in the Chit Chat thread if you don't feel like this is the right place for such a discussion. My fingers are also crossed for you enjoying a little game time later, as well! 🤞🏼

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Elodin

Picked up Dragons Age Inquisition in last week's sale. I couldn't pass up the $7.99. I did beat it on ps3 but never played the dlc. I was looking for another rpg and it still hold up. I enjoy the story and read all the lore. The world is a fun sandbox to play in. I'm not sure why many didn't like Inquisition. I do remember completing all the side content and it made the end boss a breeze, but now with all the difficulty options I think it has something for everyone. I'm looking forward to the dlc. Based on what I read I'm going to do the dlc before the end boss. Hopefully the fun holds up. Playing a Dwarven rogue instead of a qunari mage has helped keep it fresh as well.

Elodin

nessisonett

@Elodin Do Dwarven rogues just quietly stab people in the knees?

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman Oh, okay I wondered about the fact that I didn’t remember you mentioning Sekiro. I guess it’s a controversial game on the FromSoft palette. I’ve read everything from it being the most difficult to it being the easiest, although most say it’s hardest. I think the game relies on parries and breaking enemy guards, and to me it doesn’t sound like something I’d be very good at.

I’ve always disliked strict timing-based attacks and defense. Although I suppose many games enlist some form of timing mechanic for offense and defense but they vary in how specific the input has to be. Even Bloodborne has timing based defense, dodging, and attacking, especially the use of your firearm is heavily influenced by timing it well. I found that doing a well timed firearm shot can turn the tide in a battle.

But there’s something specific about a parry in games with sword-based battle that has always eluded me. The same applies to fighting games. I’m horrible at them because I can’t ever get the timing of moves and defense down, especially when you have to watch the opponents animations for the clue as to when the exact moment to hit the defend or attack button, based on some specific set of frames in their animation. I’m probably better at turn based combat and/or combat that shows you a overt bar that you need to hit a button within a certain window for the action to register. For example Returnal has what would be considered an early refill of your ammo clip if you hit the reload button at the right timing after using your last round, but it’s clearly shown on the reticle by a bar that moves across from left to right and a box in the middle that denotes the target time you have to hit the button to get the advantage of the early instant reload.

It’s similar in some of the rhythm music games I’ve played, where you are shown on-screen prompts to create the music or make the dance move in the appropriate timing, not to mention the rhythmic beat in the background helps for auditory clue for the timing.

But in games with action combat and parry, I have difficulty with timing things. Games like Batman Arkham and Spiderman have visual prompts, as does Ghost of Tsushima, so I can do fairly well at those. FromSoft is all about immersion and lack of HUD elements and so that adds to the difficulty by making the player watch for animation clues.

————

As for the distractions, yeah - just normal run-of-the-mill life stuff. Nothing major, but it all adds up. Anything from dentist appointments to work projects can intrude on an otherwise busy day. The last two days I sat down to play some video games and the phone rang each evening with friends who needed to talk. It’s ironic because I don’t really have that many friends and consider myself relatively anti-social. 😅

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’ve been wanting to play through Bloodborne again someday. I went very hard on it when it first came out and pretty much exclusively played it for about 6 months, wringing all I could from it, so like @colonelkilgore , if there was a meaningful upgrade down the line, I would definitely play through it again but until then, I’m satisfied. I second his thoughts on the chalice dungeons (and Amygdala) as I had an absolute blast playing through them. I hope you get to where you’d like to be in it!

Sekiro was definitely the hardest From game for me as well. Judging by what you wrote @Th3solution , I think you’ve made the right decision on skipping it. It’s pretty much a rhythm game - a tough one at that.

I’ve been playing through Amnesia: Rebirth. I found the opening couple of hours absolutely dreadful. I basically just pushed forward on the analog stick, moving through various hallways, stuff was happening, trophy’s were popping, and I was just completely not engaged in anything. It was bizarre. Then, when I finally reached an area that started to feel like a Frictional game, the first real puzzle just wasn’t working for me. It’s supposed to be tense but here I was, flailing a board around trying to set it just right, as it wasn’t registering me as standing on it to complete the puzzle. Anyways, glad I stuck with it as it’s coming together now and dare I say I’m enjoying it 😊

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic