Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 5,981 to 6,000 of 6,463

Bentleyma

@Kairu I played it when it first came out and I really liked it. I just started the Remaster and hoped it would still hold up and so far it does. I’ve just finished the library and I’m really enjoying it. I especially appreciate all the references to the films.

Untitled

I do wish the story was more of its own thing and less of a retread of the first film though. I do like visiting recognisable locations, but I think it’s a bit of a missed opportunity to not have a completely new story.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

JohnnyShoulder

@Bentleyma I had the similar issues with the latest film. Just felt like the first film in a modern day setting.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

CJD87

For anyone looking to scratch a "Souls-like itch" - the excellent 'Salt & Sanctuary' is now on sale via PS online store.

In UK it is only 2.99 £GBP (!)

This is hands-down my favorite non-FromSoftware Souls game. An amazing 2D metroid-esque game, which leans hugely into FromSoft influences. Great build diversity and boss variety.... honestly well worth a pick-up for that ridiculously low price.

I rarely recommend games unless I feel quite impassioned about them! If you love Dark Souls and need to kill a week before GoW releases, this is an excellent option

CJD87

JohnnyShoulder

@CJD87 Yeah, i agree. I was surprised at how deep some of the systems were for a supposedly small indie game. About the only gripe I had with it, is that graphically it isn't that great. Come to think of it, it probably is my game of it's type too!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

Just started Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.

Not impressed at all so far, but I'll give it more time.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah I kind of liked the game, but I also never really found it as unique as some claimed. And I struggle to name something memorable, apart from the brilliant audio design. Kind of a hot take, but I think that (Returnal spoilers) Returnal did a more impressive job of translating fight-your-demons into gameplay.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried I do like the use of 3D audio in the game. The constant schizophrenic chattering is pretty cool, and the rain sounds like it's all around you. I've wanted to see more games utilize 3D audio since I first played the PSP version of Corpse Party, which used it to make ghosts sound like they're whispering behind your ear and whatnot.

But everything else... ugh. The camera is zoomed in so close to the character's back that she takes up most of the screen. It's like a parody of the camera viewpoint Sony has adopted in recent years. It's a walking simulator where the very act of moving is sluggish. Even when running, Senua feels like she's moving through quicksand. Combat is... functional, but unsatisfying. The game so far just feels like an endless string of boring environmental puzzles in locations that are simultaneously linear and yet somehow confusing (the zoomed in camera sure doesn't help). The lack of interactivity with the environments is frustrating, with Senua getting stuck on tiny rocks she could easily step over. And, sorry, while I like the actual voices and how they're implemented into gameplay, the third-person narration is very in love with itself.

I'll have to try Returnal someday if the opportunity arises.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I started Hellblade a couple years ago and didn’t mind it, and then tried to get back into it after having started on medication, which did not react well at all to the 3D audio whispering stuff. It felt like my brain was trying to escape through my ears. I get that it’s probably the point, but to make a game about somebody with mental health issues that’s unplayable for people with mental health issues feels like a bit of an oxymoron.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett It makes sense on the face of it. People with specific mental health issues are probably not going to react well to a game replicating the effects of said issues somewhat accurately.

Th3solution

@Ralizah I liked Hellblade quite a bit. Still, I can’t argue with some of your complaints about movement, linearity, and lackluster combat. The character position and perspective didn’t really bother me, but I think I’ve grown accustomed to the close-up third person viewpoint over time with playing a lot of Sony games. I also quite like walking sims, which is kind of the feeing this gives.

One of my first experiences with the close trailing camera was in Arkham Asylum and when I first played it, I was put off as well with the slow feeling less responsive movement that results. Now when games use it, I don’t really notice it too much.

But yes, Hellblade is a mediocre action game. But it’s a great character study, imo. I liked a few of the novel gameplay ideas it brought, despite a lot of the game being also derivative. Of course these things are all quite subjective, but I do find the game to be one of those that seems to grow better in my memory the further removed I am from it. Some games are dumped from my mind immediately upon completion, but some stick in my brain, haunting me, and then increase in fondness over time.

Sometimes I like feeling strong emotions during games, even uncomfortable ones, and that’s where Hellblade fits. But definitely it’s a timing issue as I could see myself not harmonizing with the game if my mood wasn’t quite right. It’s dark, dreary, disturbing, and slow-paced. But it’s also a triumphant redemptive tale at the same time.

Of all the IP that Microsoft snatched up, Hellblade is the one I’m most upset about. I couldn’t care less about Call of Duty, Fallout, Starfield, Crash Bandicoot, Doom, or any of those other IP. I’m bummed I probably won’t get to play the Hellblade sequel.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Ralizah I absolutely understand the intent but I can’t help but feel a little uncomfortable about their attempt to make a game that’s physically unplayable by the group that it’s supposedly empathising with. Like if somebody had made a game about the struggles of physical disability and then made it solely playable using the Wii Balance Board or blocking the use of that Xbox Adaptive Controller thing. Again, I know they’re not the same thing but I can’t shake the bad feeling I get from the whole situation.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@Th3solution I mean, if you really want to play the second game, you can just buy a Series S or something. The game will be practically free on GP: especially since the first month of access to the service costs $1.

Still seems wild to me that a sequel was announced. Even as an eight hour experience, this game is getting tiresome. The original stands out primarily because of the impressive 3D audio tech demo element, but surely they'll need a new hook for the sequel, right? I can't imagine marketing this as Schizophrenia: The Series will wind up being very compelling, and, so far, there's not much to the game outside of that.

@nessisonett Said group could just play the game without headphones/surround sound, right? That'd completely remove the 3D aspect of the audio, and would presumably be less triggering.

Edited on by Ralizah

TheNomadLad

Well basically the ps plus games for November, nioh 2, lego harry potter collection, and heavenly bodies, also having fun with borderlands 3 after i just finished the witcher 3 blood and wine dlc (i'm having a very hard time making the decision to delete the game as i need space on my ps4 for new downloads).

TheNomadLad

Twitter:

colonelkilgore

Started The Order 1886 this morning and it’s great. Although I’m only like an hour or so in, this world and the aesthetic is just so appealing. I’ve heard it’s short and shallow, so maybe my expectations were set in the right place for me to get the most from what’s available. 🤔

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@Ralizah I’ll probably land just shy of considering Hellblade 2 as a personal system seller. I’ll have to see how the reviews pan out. So far I don’t have much confidence in MS’s production management competence, to be honest. I know that sounds fan-boyish and I don’t intend it to be, but there’s an unfortunate track record with the Xbox first party output’s inconsistency that seems pretty glaring.

The Hellblade 2 trailer from a few months ago seemed to suggest a larger more open type of game, bigger in scope, which would answer to some of the first game’s shortcomings, but it’s hard to tell much from a trailer void of gameplay. And it looked like it was teetering on making it into a God of War clone with the bigger enemies and set pieces. My own version of Hell will have it end up being a microtransaction-ridden live-service game where players can invade other peoples games and whisper in their ears or some such nonsense.

But in seriousness, I do agree, the original Hellblade feels designed to be a standalone. They run the risk of trivializing Senua’s journey if they just hammer the same messages again in a sequel. Part of what I appreciate about it is the rare incidence of a game protagonist feeling truly vulnerable. We have plenty of Kratos, Spider-Man, Commander Shepherd, and Cloud Stife’s out there with superhuman skills and/or unnatural talents or abilities. Games try to make them feel broken, susceptible, and relatable, but at the end of the day they have some extraordinary personality traits that give the player a power buzz, which is totally fine and we all want to have that feeling too. But it’s nice to have different types of protagonists from time to time. It’s debatable whether Ninja Theory accomplished what they set out to do with the character Senua (she does after all have some uncanny skills of her own) but I enjoyed the attempt.

I also recognize my own propensity to give these AA games a bump from subconscious positive bias because I just like seeing smaller studio attempts at breaking through on their smaller budgets by virtue of new ideas. And in the end, a sequel very likely will dampen some of that feeling of fresh innovation.

Either way, I’m interested in your thoughts since it’s a good level-set to see how the experience translates from different perspectives.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore I had a similar positive experience with The Order 1886, and I think having appropriate expectations makes for a good outcome with the game. Knowing up front it’s short and has limited scope help make it enjoyable for what it is.

Be careful though — it has an easy platinum and I’d hate for you to accidentally get #100 and ruin your master plan! 😂

colonelkilgore

Th3solution wrote:

Be careful though — it has an easy platinum and I’d hate for you to accidentally get #100 and ruin your master plan! 😂

Cheers for the heads up 😅. Yeah, I’m hoping to leave a collectible unfound, or one of the kill-specific trophies unpopped 🤞

**** DLC!

MightyDemon82

@colonelkilgore I need to go through it again for the platinum but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Just rolled credits in God of War, glad I decided to play through the game again as not only is it a banger, but I have the story fresh in my mind and can't wait to see what SM have got in store for us next week when it releases 😃

MightyDemon82

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore No problemo. There is a small amount of required extra effort for the platinum, so you’re probably safe. It’s not like a Telltale platinum. Seems I had to really concentrate and even follow a guide to get all the collectibles. But if memory serves, there’s no way to go back for stuff, so you have to either get all the collectibles in one run or do a second playthrough. I might be misremembering though.

colonelkilgore

@Kairu yeah I’d play a sequel in a heart beat for sure. It’s such a rich and beautiful world.

@MightyDemon82 yeah I did consider going back for another God of War run… I was a bit worried that I might’ve ended up a bit burned-out part way through Ragnarok though. Hopefully you won’t suffer that and still enjoy the hell out of it though.

@Th3solution so… ‘apparently’ you can mop up collectibles in chapter select, I never count my chickens though… so I’ll be more than prepared to do a collectible specific run if needs be.

Back to The Order as an ip… I know that Ready at Dawn are off doing other things now (with other people) but I’d get one of the other first parties on a sequel to this right away if I were Sony. Imagine if Sony Bend, or Bluepoint… or Sony London were given a serious budget to make The Order 1887. An open-world steampunk Victorian London with a longer playtime and more varied gameplay options… it would honestly be up there with my most anticipated projects.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic