Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 3,281 to 3,300 of 6,461

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I didn't know you could get Silent Hill 2 on PS4 that way, might give it a go myself, Pyramid Head getting down to some dodgy actions with some mannequins is in it after all eh? Dark, tragic and amusing to an adolescent all at the same time.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

I am still currently playing Death Stranding, just charged up the motorcycle and am looking forward to riding it on the post=apocalyptic open road!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman there are a few things that combine to result in it being (imho) a really good game.

One is, that it reminds me of a Bethesda game (Elder Scrolls or Fallout) but much more 'free' and playable. The parkour is really well done, once you get the hang of it & adds a bit of Mirrors Edge to the Bethesda-like proceedings too. Also, considering the game is almost 6 years old the community is thriving... and players you meet online are very generous with much-needed items and some really high-level weapons if you're lucky enough to meet the right person.

... ooh, and the limb slicing... and just slicing up zombies in general. It's quite satisfying.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

Didn't quite know where to put this (Especially as I'm the only one who's played this pokemon like monster catching game) but Nexomon Extinction's custom mode free update/patch released a couple of days ago and it's really quite impressive with how much you can do with it.

The only downside is (for now at least) you have to beat the game first before being able to start a custom mode run on a new file.

There's 24 different options you can toggle between a number of different settings

You can customise/radomise:

• The Starting Nexomon (From just random stage one Nexomon up to including evolved forms and legendaries)
  • Wild battles (up to completely randomising the distribution)
  • Tamer Battles (Up to completely randomising them, the evolution stages and include legendaries)
  • Mutate Tamer Battles (Every time you beat a tamer their party completely changes the next time you fight them)
  • Randomise the Story Bosses (Which depends on the random tamer battle setting)
  • Capture restriction (Allowing you to only capture a single Nexomon per map)
  • Randomise overworld items
  • Randomise what you get from ore boulders (To include potions, coins etc instead of shards)
  • Break the level cap to go above lvl 99
  • Add up to 90 levels onto all the wild/tamer Nexomon
  • A Permadeath option that'll lock the save file (Or you can set it so once all your Nexomon faint it'll be disabled so you can carry on normally)
  • Limit the number of items you can use per battle
  • Completely disable shops
  • Make it so you can't run from fights
  • Increase the amount of coins from wild battles or Tamer battles (up to 300%)
  • Boost the amount of exp you get (Up to 500%)
  • Randomise the skills a Nexomon learns (Up to a completely random and different typing/moveset)
  • Copy your team/Items/Storage Nexomon from another file
  • Alter the levels of starting, alongside any copied, Nexomon up to level 90
  • Revert the evolution stages of any copied Nexomon

You can also set it so your settings can modified at any point or permanently lock them and it also has the seed of the custom mode so you can share it with others too.

I figured I'd give you @crimsontadpoles and @Ralizah a tag as you both seemed somewhat interested in the game (& Apologies if you aren't!)

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

MaulTsir

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @colonelkilgore yeah I'm about 25 hours in now and I definitely think it's the weakest ps exclusive I've played to date.

That said I'm at Iron Mike's now and the story is starting to progress and the gameplay is still very fun, I've seen alot of the hordes but not yet taking any on so looking forward to that. I'm still not sold on a lot of the main characters they just seem so tropey. Any scene with Skizzo has me thinking Vanilla Ice must of asked to be in the game.

I feel like I'm bashing it alot but I'm actually having a lot of fun with it, the gameplay and the different types of freakers are really good, I've already mentioned about the day and night system which works really well but I've got to agree with you about the writing which is very below par and listening to Deacon talk to himself sometimes is so corny the voice acting sometimes doesn't match the situation which isn't nothing game breaking or anything just a little something i noticed.

MaulTsir

Thrillho

So Yakuza 0 had "Miracle Johnson" with his sweet dance moves. Yakuza 5 has a female American singer called "Daddy Papa" who is a bit strange and has a dress made out of seaweed.

Untitled

I wonder who that could be referring to...

Thrillho

colonelkilgore

@MaulTsir well, the way I look at games... and I’m aware that there are many differing opinions on the topic but my opinion is... gameplay is key. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good story in my games, I love a good score/sound track, I’m very fond of a thick atmosphere in my games... and the list goes on of things I appreciate when done well but, gameplay is always key.

I watch a lot of films and tv (got my degree in film production and screen-play writing) and when I watch those the narrative (particularly in modern TV) is key... but with gaming, as much as I like all the accoutrements... they could be without any of them if the gameplay was like ‘crack’ if you know what I’m saying.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Yeah, it’s interesting to think about because at its roots, video gaming is all about the gameplay. The addition of cinematic qualities is only a more recent development. The original games like Pong, Space Invaders, PAC-Man, Donkey Kong, etc. did not have a story or any other appreciable accoutrements (I like that term!). The evolution of added story was gradual, as best I can tell, and only recently has been more emphasized.
Yet, I find the story to be like the icing on the cake. I really don’t want any cake without it. Well, unless it’s some really tasty cake!

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

I've always wanted to do a nuzlocke/randomiser mode myself in Pokémon at some point @crimsontadpoles so it's really quite cool that they've added this all in to Nexomon so there's no faffing about with adding patches or whatever to a rom.

Plus... I'd probably wimp out my set rules for a nuzlocke so the fact you can toggle and lock the settings for such a thing would actually make me take it seriously!

I'll be sure to give it a proper go at some point (Though rather humorously I did test it out earlier and got two legendaries into my starter pool and the unwinnable first fight was against Nexomon's Rattata like 'mon instead of a dragon 😄)

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution totally, I’m not saying that I don’t enjoy a great story within my games... and I’d even go as far as to say an excellent narrative can transcend a game from good to great. But... imho it is the gameplay (for me) where a game stands or falls.

My favourite games of this or any gen (Bloodborne, God of War and Metal Gear Solid V) scratch my gameplay itch above all else, so much so that as a result I am now working my way through all of the old God of Wars and Metal Gear Solids. And while, the Metal Gear Solid series is known for its great narratives (which I’m sure that I will discover this year) V is notorious for placing less importance on the story. Bloodborne has a fantastic story (if you are able to decipher it) though 99% of people who play it and even love it will never know what the hell is going on. Only God of War amongst those three all-timers has what I would consider a strong narrative in a conventional way which the masses will enjoy it... and in fairness, as a result it does elevate the game from great to... I dunno, legendary maybe.

I’m not saying other gamers are wrong for placing such a precedence on story, only that for me I yearn for the ‘playable’.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore I’m going to have a go at Rayman Legends as part of the Game Club and see if I can immerse myself a little in a game that’s strictly a game without the extra character narrative stuff. We’ll see if it holds my interest. I surely hope so. It will be an interesting experiment in whether I can tolerate a lack of story.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution funny you should take the conversation in that direction, as I have heard that Rayman Legends is something of a forgotten classic. The reason I say ‘funny’ is although I am a gamer from way back (the early 80’s) I can no longer glean much enjoyment from only two-dimensions (I know, not only frikkin sacrilege but downright hypocritical after my last couple of musings!).

It’s weird, I was such an avid gamer when 2D was all that there was... I loved it and used to save all of my (admittedly little) pocket money to buy them but they just don’t hit my mark anymore. I tried Hollow Knight and just could not stop myself from thinking of the games which I could be playing instead (all of them in three-dimensions... be they action RPG, souls-like, open-world etc.). I know it seems that I am being contradictory here (& to anyone outside of my head I may well be) but it will probably happen to me again when they finally (truly) crack VR. After that, I may never be able to ‘fully’ go back to 3D on a 2D screen.

Anyway, I hope you do enjoy Rayman Legends and I’d love to hear your thoughts on it post-this conversation.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore Totally agree. I don't hold story telling in video games in high regard as others. I would struggle to play a game if I didn't like the gameplay and the story was supposed to be the best written in video game history. Flip it round and I would happily play a game if the story sucked but the gameplay ticked all the right boxes.

Games are interactive after all, and if want a good story I'll just watch film for TV show. Not to say it is not important, just not the most important element when it comes to video games for me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder a prime example for me is something that would definitely fit in the unpopular gaming opinion thread. I didn’t think The Last of Us was a great game... there, I said it 😲! Great story, fantastic performances, unrivalled score etc... but (for me) the gameplay was basic at best.

I’m yet to play the sequel (I have it lined up for this year... gonna play it and Ghost of Tsushima on my 2 weeks leave) and in fairness the gameplay ‘looks’ better from the gameplay videos. The reason I’ll be playing it more than anything though is to experience the cultural phenomenon that divided Gaming, and to see where I stand on it. Oooh, and it’ll be nice to see (as opposed to play) what happened next.

**** DLC!

andreoni79

@colonelkilgore I think choosing the right difficulty level is very important. Few years ago I played TLOU Remastered on Normal and I found the gameplay flat and boring. Then I played the dlc on Hard and it started to be interesting. Then I played again the whole package on Hard without the hearing superpower and I loved it.
My first and only playthrough of TLOU2 was on Hard with just the basic HUD and it was great, gameplay wise too.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

sorteddan

@andreoni79
I played through TLOU without the hearing thing also. Though in my case it was due to the lengthy gap between starting it and resuming meant I had forgot it existed (doh!) and I can confirm this definitely makes a lot of sections more fraught and tense as an experience

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

colonelkilgore

@andreoni79 @Sorteddan good to know guys, maybe I’ll try playing the sequel like this. I do think the correct choice of difficulty level is important... when I play something challenging I definitely get more out of it but I have to admit that more often than not (probably around 75% of the time) a lazy (maybe that isn’t the right word to describe it) side of me just chooses the normal/medium difficulty.

If a plat requires a run on hard (or harder) I go there... but for the most part I ‘normally’ go normal, probably to the detriment of fun actually.

**** DLC!

Onigumo

@colonelkilgore I think the secret jewel of a game is at level design. As a visual art the design of a game is extremely important. But as a interactive media the gameplay of a game was a key element. The level design communicates the design and gameplay of a game. Not every game needs to be robust or AAA, but a game with a bad level design just doesn't flow, and without fluidity the magic doesn't happen... I think so

Onigumo

Onigumo

Some games are stories, others are mechanical, between this and that a lot happens

Onigumo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic