Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,441 to 1,460 of 6,460

Th3solution

@Arugula Well said. It does have a nearly hypnotic effect because of the stunning visuals. And yes, the map is one of my points of dissatisfaction.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

Started playing Resident Evil 2 REmake. I kinda knew what to expect as I played the demo, but the game looks top notch. Very gruesome and with the updated more detailed graphics some of the sights are pretty grim. Also sounds really good, I spent a few minutes not doing anything and listening to all the background noise. Creaking floorboards, a groan from near by, a window smashing etc. All adds to atmosphere.

For life of me I can't remember who i played in the original, I seem to remember starting off in a shop and a guy helping find a way out, but I now have a feeling it was the third game.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Nope you're remembering right that is the original version of RE2 @JohnnyShoulder (I played it earlier in the year in fact)

Whomever you play as first ends up in the Kendo gun shop

In the third you start off in warehouse.

Good to hear you're enjoying it. The second is my favourite overall of the series so I really need to get my hands on the remake soon

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Ah, the Citadel DLC... enough to make me wanna play through the entire trilogy from start to finish. What an incredible piece of gaming.

You're welcome; equal thanks for reminding me about the emotional impact of some games. I think games have done a lot of work to shake off their "interactive cartoons for kids" simplicity in recent years, and whilst mature content like The Last of Us and God of War has done some of the more obvious heavy lifting in that regard, the real trick is making you care for a bunch of polygons and some voice acting. Anything that can provoke the reaction you had when playing Trials of Cold Steel III is a winner in my book.

@Th3solution Eeeeeeeeee, Photo Mode!!

Sorry. Last night I saw confirmation that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order will have a Photo Mode, so those two words are releasing a lot of endorphins in my brain today.

Now that the PS4 has lost MyFace functionality, I've seen others say that the most hassle-free route to getting your screenshots online is to hit the Share button and upload them to your Twitter account (if you have one). Twitter will then give you a link to your image, which you can share elsewhere. If you don't have social media, however, then you can try the PS4's web browser, but I've found that to be notoriously unreliable and buggy, even when just browsing Google.

If you run into any trouble, ask in the screenshot topic; I'm sure others will be able to help, as I'm a "copy them to USB, take USB to PC, sort and upload from there" kinda guy, with apologies.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Cheers, this one starts out a bit differently then.

I went with Claire in the end as I'm pretty sure I only did a Leon playthrough back in the day.

@Th3solution If you are not on social media like me, the only way i found that works is when you send the screen shot to someone. If you have the PS messages app, you can then download it to your device.

@RogerRoger What's MyFace?

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Sorry, old joke. I meant Facebook.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

I started The Last Guardian this weekend and so wanted to leave a few early impressions.

I’m about 2 hours into the adventure, so I can’t be definitive about anything, but it’s a positive experience so far. When they call it a “spiritual successor” to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, they are certainly being accurate. It feels closer to Ico, and with the similar art style, setting, design, and character movement - it could almost be marketed as a direct sequel. Graphically and functionally it is so close to Ueda’s previous works that it does feel a little ‘last gen’. Being an early PS4 entry, some of the graphical infidelity and dated controls might just be a sign of its development times. On that note, I have yet to really see why the game has such a long drawn out development cycle. The game doesn’t feel like a game that took 7 or so years to develop. I know from reading about it that it was a victim of a small studio biting off more than they could swallow with the PS3’s difficult programming architecture. In transferring over the project to PS4 and turning over technical development to Sony Japan Studio, a lot of time was lost, but there was an obvious attempt to keep the vision consistent with what Ueda’s team produced on the PS3, and it shows. Not that it’s a bad thing, the game’s strength appears to be in its thematic integrity and artistic design, which I’m grateful Sony let Ueda continue to influence and oversee the project after Team Ico’s departure. But it does make the game feel a wee bit dated, despite being lovely and charming.
As opposed to my recent thoughts on Concrete Genie’s character designs, I think the simplistic cel-shaded appearance here of the boy, Trico, and the environment make for a timeless presentation that remains beautiful even after game design progress has things looking more and more photo realistic.

Gameplay-wise, the well documented frustration of dealing with Trico’s independent AI is apparent to me already, but since I had read about this I was prepared for dealing with it. It’s reminiscent of Agro in Shadow of the Colossus, who was actually in my mind the star of the game, and so I expect I’ll feel similarly about Trico by the end. Having him or her act independently like a real animal is part of the narrative point, I think, even if it results in gameplay frustrations.

Anyways, overall the game is the peaceful and contemplative work of art that seems true to the visionary’s “design by subtraction” philosophy. I adore Shadow of the Colossus, with all its warts, and liked Ico as well. I’ve no doubt that this game will be among my favorites this generation — perhaps not because of groundbreaking technological achievement, but because of its emotive power.

But it’s early. I reserve the right to be disappointed or to be blown away by the conclusion. 😛

Tagging @Kidfried because I seem to recall your championing of this game as one of your favorites and you might be interested in these early thoughts on the game.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution Super interested in more of your impressions as you progress. You were right in tagging me; one of my favorites on the PS4 alongside Metal Gear Solid V.

The Last Guardian has quite a few warts. There is a function to most of what's in the game, but don't expect to enjoy every second of it. A few things that benefited my experience:

• don't try to 'complete' this game, like Journey this game is more of a contemplative experience, asyou already mention. I got most of my enjoyment from my own interaction with the game, not from the game being 'entertaining' in itself.
  • this game was therapeutic to me. I had a lot of stuff on my mind at the time, and playing this game had a calming effect on me.
  • Trico, Trico's a star.

But yea, seems from your impressions you already got those points down quite well. I'll await more of your thoughts!

Kidfried

Genrou

Playing through River City Girls. I am really enjoying this game. It's a nice addition to the Kunio series and I can see that this game will have alot of replayability. If you enjoy old school beat em ups then you will surely enjoy this game.

Genrou

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I absoulety adored The Last Guardian, i think you will appreciate the way Trico behaves a bit more if you've ever had a cat or dog. I grew up having them in the house, so picked up the behavioural language from him. His obedience levels do get better at a certain point in the game.

Oh and I would not class the graphical style as cel shaded. That would be something like Borderlands or Sly Racoon. It also came out three years after the PS4 was released, so would not class this as an early PS4 game either.

Started Spider-Man earlier. The web swinging is excellent, you can tell Insomniac put a lot of effort into making zipping around New York feel like it is a lot of fun. Graphically in cut scenes it's good, but in normal play I think it looks a bit average looking? I suppose sacrifices had to made due to the speed that you traverse through the city most of the time.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Lol, I’m not sure I can confidently say what cel shaded is, but it’s just that sort of painted appearance, at least for the boy. It’s fairly unique, I’ll say that.
I’m pretty sure I’ll really like TLG the more I play. I like this kind of game every now and then.

Good to see you’re enjoying Spider-Man. Yes, the visual strength is in the animation and kinetic feeling. Spidey himself also looks fantastic even in cut scenes up close in nearly every suit. Otherwise, like you say, it’s pretty standard visuals for an open world game. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution From Wikipedia:
"Cel shading or toon shading is a type of non-photorealistic rendering designed to make 3-D computer graphics appear to be flat by using less shading color instead of a shade gradient or tints and shades."

Hope that clarifies things with you. 🤣

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Uh... kinda. 😜
I’m not very knowledgeable about art, nor computer graphical design.
I think I got confused because the art style of the boy’s appearance seems to fit that description —
Untitled
...even if the rest of the graphics of Trico and the environment are definitely not cel chaded and are more photorealistic. Maybe it’s possible to have a game be partially cel shading and partially not? Haha, I have no idea. It’s why the game has such a unique look to it.

Edited on by Th3solution

Quintumply

I made a start on Lonely Mountains: Downhill yesterday. It's surprised me! You start at the top of a trail and have to make your way down, and repeat plays of each trail introduce new challenges, like times to beat. It plays really smoothly, and I love the ambient sound design. It mixes the addictive nature of Trials with a more relaxed atmosphere. Well worth a go.

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@Quintumply I've never heard of that game before, but colour me curious. Thanks!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I can see where you are coming from but personally I still wouldn't class it as cel shaded. I'm no expert on it either, but I think maybe you are getting confused between cartoony and cel shaded? If you compare that to something like Borderlands and you'll be able to see the difference. There are certainly do not think there are any rules, so yeah I could see no reason why a game can be only partially cell shaded.

RogerRoger

@Quintumply Nice, thanks!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

Just looked on the store and saw 'Football Game'. Has anyone played it? The write up and video look rather interesting. and it's Vita crossbuy!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

I always thought that Burnout Paradise was a generation too early, and last night starting up Burnout Paradise Remastered kinda confirmed my suspicion. Back on PS3, it was trying too hard to push its interconnected systems and online elements; no matter what I did, no matter how many times I tried to deactivate pop-up reminders to connect, they always switched themselves back on and plastered my screen with unwelcome distractions (not the best when trying to maintain control of a nitro-fuelled rocket car). Now that the PS4 has normalised always-connected gameplay and open world social mechanics, however, I figured it might feel a little more natural than it did before.

Weirdly, however, the remaster has stripped out some of the more frustrating network nonsense, instead just leaving a single non-intrusive menu on the D-Pad's right button which, thankfully, you can totally ignore. Given the greater resolution, some of the HUD elements have been slightly downscaled, not enough to make them illegible but enough to make them unobtrusive. When taken alongside the PS4's much faster processing power (meaning when at the Junkyard, you're not left waiting for ten seconds whilst each car model loads in, for example) it creates a much smoother overall experience.

I never really got along with the game on PS3; I played enough to justify what I spent, then ditched it pretty quickly, but I can see me playing much more of this updated version. This'll be a perfect filler game for me. Now that I've spent five minutes removing all of its "proper" music from the radio's rotation, I can just boot it up for a couple of events or spend an entire evening with it. Which is exactly what I need right now, and have found myself needing more and more of late.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic