Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,401 to 1,420 of 6,458

HallowMoonshadow

Oh Is Monster Boy is a psuedo sequel or something @JohnnyShoulder to that?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It is a follow up of sorts to Sega's Wonder Boy series, a remake of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap was released in 2017, which is the one I played on Switch. I think there was some complications with using the Wonder Boy name, so they called it Monster Boy instead.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

Following up my previous post, I've just finished a first playthrough of the remaining Just Cause 4 expansions. There are trophies and challenge races still to work on, which will likely be tomorrow's gaming sorted, and then I'll be done and dusted.

The middle DLC, "Los Demonios", had me worried because I assumed (wrongly) that it was zombies, but it turned out to be much more engaging. Returning to the main game's Tomb Raider plot thread, you and an archaeologist pal accidentally unleash a... well, a something. Alien? Monster? Not entirely sure, but it made bubbles of neon atmosphere appear all over the map. Inside each of these bubbles, you had to fight back against tentacles ripping apart the landscape and pry open giant eggs to destroy them, all whilst flying creatures picked up soldiers and used them to attack you. The finale (set on a brand new island, complete with giant circular temple which you had to manhandle like a giant lock) was suitably apocalyptic, and it was again challenging without being impossible.

That's kinda where the originality ran out, at least in terms of gameplay. The final chunk of DLC, suitably entitled "Danger Rising", dealt with giant submarines surfacing all around the map, courtesy of the nefarious Agency. It gives you a hoverboard which never really amounts to much; I only really used it when forced to for an occasional on-rails objective. The plot was further set-up for the next game, just like the end of the core game's story, but it otherwise struggled to break free of its "go here, blow stuff up, rinse and repeat" structure... until the very end, that is, when it tasks you with chasing down the villain and engaging him in a traditional, big-health-bar boss fight. Only then did things really pick up, and so despite a temporary wobble of its wingsuit, Just Cause 4 managed to stick its final landing.

These expansions have pleasantly surprised me, but they've also made me kinda angry. When I booted up my PS4 yesterday to continue playing these DLCs (which have been out for a while now) there was a new and rather sizeable stability patch waiting for me, released over the weekend. Without that patch, I might've just said "great game, glad they've finally fixed most of its issues, recommended" but having to stop and wait for it to download and install gave me a chance to think.

Just Cause 4 was released in December last year, at which time I paid full price for the Gold Edition. I've only really enjoyed playing it this past week; back at launch, it was an ugly, glitch-riddled and somewhat hollow experience. Nine months later, it's grown to become a fun, somewhat-varied and frequently beautiful explosion simulator.

So why the heck did I pay £60 for a bad experience to collect dust on my shelf, when I could've waited and paid £13 (current Amazon price, new and sealed) for something I'd actually enjoy?

Today I can wholeheartedly recommend Just Cause 4 to fans of mindless, gorgeous action and to people looking to enjoy a lengthy, microtransaction-free single player sandbox game. In its current state, I really like it... but I also really hate it for being part of the problem with modern gaming.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

Don't ask me how much hours I've put into Kiwami 2. I know the answer, but I'm not telling ya.

This game keeps just finding more ways to be worthy of my time. I really need to take a break from the Yakuza series after this, because frankly it's getting out of hand now. Still enjoying most of it a lot.

Last night I played Virtua-On for two hours and then golfed for another hour. I guess that's all I need to have a wonderful evening.

I just like running around the city.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger To this day I've yet to finish a Just Cause game. I really like all the dumb fun you can have but I find that repetition can set in quite quickly and I get a bit bored of the game. Which is strange considering it should be a blast to play.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@Kidfried How in-depth is the golfing? I love a bit of golf, me.

@JohnnyShoulder To its credit, Just Cause 4 is the most varied of the lot; it was an anomaly that the third DLC replicated the gameplay pattern of the second. But I know what you mean. I think being in the right headspace for Just Cause is crucial. I wasn't back in December, but I am now.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@Kidfried I’m so glad I fluked a hole in one on the extreme course for the golf in YK2 as it was the only way I was ever going to get the top score.

I’m on chapter 11 and have done all side missions, completed the Majima Construction missions, got S rank in the coliseum, and done most of the Cabaret Club battles too. But there’s still so much to do... oh, and the actual story to finish too

Thrillho

Kidfried

@Thrillho I'm a bit further than you in the main story, but aside from that it sounds like you've did a few more side things, though. Nicely job.

I'm still rank A at the Colosseum, but I did complete Cabaret Club, which was a bit of a letdown I must say.

@RogerRoger I don't feel the golfing is very deep, but it has enough depth to be fun. It's an indoor gold practice course (are those even a thing), and presents you with different challenges.

For someone who... is not really a golf fan, I enjoyed it way more than I expected.

Kidfried

Thrillho

@Kidfried The electric fence royal rumble was my go to for levelling up in the coliseum. One of the top tier battles only unlocks once you complete the Majima Construction main storyline and I read the other only unlocks when you complete all sub stories which sucks seeing as one of them is based around playing mahjong.

Nothing specific happened when reaching S rank either just so you know. But getting to higher levels gets you some extra guys for the Construction game.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Oh yes, indoor golf is absolutely a thing. It also tells me its scale, so I'm not surprised you ended up liking it, even though you're not a fan of golf in general.

I'd never get a dedicated golf game, but I'd love having it as an optional mini-game in something.

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Beat The Lost Sinner in Dark Souls 2:SotFS

It's strange. I'm probably being the most critical of the game I've ever been, taking it all in details, clarifying my thoughts on it as I go ... And yet I'm enjoying it the most I ever have 😅

Also @RogerRoger nice to hear your impressions on Just Cause 4 ... I mentioned it in the screenshot thread the other day I think but... Yeah I didn't get on with the third at all.

And that was given to me free via ps plus.

Like Johnny said initally it was pretty decent and looked quite good too but... Yeah 😂

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It was this topic, actually, on the previous page; apologies, I thought I'd replied before! Your reaction to the third game is fair enough. Just Cause isn't for everybody. Despite having such a simple, universal premise (fly around a gorgeous island and gorgeously blow stuff up, looking gorgeous whilst doing so) I often find that they're Marmite games. I've always loved and defended them but, given its rough launch and long series of stabilising patches, Just Cause 4 has been the first to test my patience in a way that makes me kinda understand what everybody else has been saying all these years.

And congratulations on beating the Lost Sinner (whoever that is)! Although I wouldn't call it strange to enjoy something the more you focus on it; on the contrary, subjecting it to such close scrutiny and yet still having a blast must be a great sign. Looking forward to your concluding thoughts!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

My memory is pretty sketchy when it comes to the bosses of DS2 @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy! I enjoyed the game way more then I thought I would, but some of the bosses are quite unremarkable compared to others in the series.

I'm currently playing Dead Cells. I usually go for something a bit different to what I was playing last (which was Tomb Raider) and it usually takes me a few goes on a few games to get my head in a game. DC was only the second game I played before it clicked with me. I kinda had an idea what type of game I wanted to play so that probably helped.
I actually pre-ordered it but could never get into as I was deep into another game, and my mind was not really into it. But I'm liking it so far, I've managed to pick it up again fairly quickly and get past a few levels. The combat and movement is superb, very fluid. I was feeling chuffed with myself as I had not died.... then I got squashed by a lift! 😂

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Oh... She's this @RogerRoger 😂

Untitled

One of the main bosses in Dark Souls II.

I thought maybe it'd be going a bit overboard chronicling my entire journey in DSII via the screen shot thread.

So I decided I'm gonna scale it back a fair bit... Just post some highlights here and there

RogerRoger wrote:

Although I wouldn't call it strange to enjoy something the more you focus on it; on the contrary, subjecting it to such close scrutiny and yet still having a blast must be a great sign.

That's certsinly quite true.

It's the black sheep of the Souls games to most fans and I've shared the same opinion (I didn't know that at the time though)

It took me a better part of a year in fact to just start it when I originally got the standard PS3 version cus there was something about it that didn't gel with me at all.

My opinion of it got better a year and a half or so ago when I tried the PS4 version (all the DLC, remixed enemy placement, 60fps, better lighting effects amongst other things)

So that's why I'm rather surprised that I'm enjoying it even more then I've ever done whilst looking at it with a fine tooth comb as the title has a bit of a bumpy road with me.

and I just said earlier today that Death Stranding looks like it's gonna be quite the marmite game too... us and our analogies

Glad you've ended up enjoying Just Cause 4... Shame you paid full price though last year!

It does suffer a bit from what I'd like to call "dude in armour syndrome" @JohnnyShoulder .

S'probably the one complaint I know that'll still remain about DS II no matter what I end up feeling about the title.

I've already fought... 3 bosses that are just a knight in armour (5 technically if you count the ruin sentinels as seperate bosses even though it's a group fight)

and thanks for the monster boy info the other day by the way... Didn't know that all!

and uhh shame ya got squashed by a lift in Dead Cells! 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I’ve got Dead Cells sitting in the backlog too. I occasionally think about trying it but then I decide to go somewhere else with my attention. It is unlike the games I usually play (that is, story driven third person action stealth games). In fact, my disdain for Metroidvania is well documented. But I hear this is very light on the Metroidvania characteristics and is an interesting mishmash of 2D Action Platforming, Roguelike, Metroidvania, and Soulslike. It intrigued me enough to pick it up on sale one day.
Is it easy to drop in and out of? Or is it the type of game with a steep learning curve and a lot of skill and complex gameplay mechanics that require unwavering dedication? If so I don’t want to try to start it until I can commit a couple weeks to it without distraction.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution A really unhelpful answer would be that it’s somewhere between the two. It’s easy to pick up and have a run at the game but, especially early on, each run gives you a few upgrades and a bit more nous to get further than you did last time.

Once you’re at a decent level and know what you’re doing, you can get to the final boss in around 20mins.

It is quite an addictive feedback loop though trying to make that little bit further each time. The multiple routes that you unlock as you gain extra abilities only makes it even more replayable.

It is tough though and I’ve only managed one successful one but the final boss did feel as though it had been nerfed a little for the first run through.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I think one of the main problems with DS2 was that the frame rate and weapon degrading was f'd up so weapons were not lasting as long as they should. That was all fixed by the time the remaster came along. Some of the bosses I found were too easy and a bit uneventful. The medusa and jabb the hut bosses stick out as being examples. Later on it does get better and the Mirror Knight is awesome. The dlc is excellent, some of the best areas in the series, with some puzzle elements thrown in. I've got the Artworks book, and it had quite a troubled background.

@Thrillho You do indeed! That did make me chuckle.
@Th3solution Further to what Thrillo said, your first few runs will probably be a bit confusing. But once you get to the merchants inbetween levels you can by upgrades which stay with you after death. This is up to you on what you buy, but they do make life a bit easier. These range from making your health potions stronger to saving an amount of coin when you die. There are quite a range of weapons and it pays to experiment with them. I made the mistake of sticking with a ranged weapon (you can have two equipped, plus two traps) which I had early on. I felt the difference immediately when I changed things up more in my next run. I got the the black bridge and fought the boss. He beat me but it did not feel unbeatable.

KALofKRYPTON

Had a little go on Space Hulk: Deathwing last night.

It's pretty much as expected, bit clunky, bit choppy, basic in terms of gameplay mechanics but actually rather nice looking and sounding - moody and plenty there to put a smile on a 40K fan's face.

It is, quite sadly lacking a proper photo mode, which is a massive, massive shame!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Blimey. A face for radio if ever I saw one!

Sometimes games take a couple replays to really strike a chord (and a snazzy remaster often helps). I'm glad Dark Souls II is one of them for you.

@KALofKRYPTON You say lacking a "proper" Photo Mode, but does it at least try to have one?

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic