Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 6,461

JohnnyShoulder

If this thread was titled What PS4 Games are you Currently NOT Playing, for me that would be Dragon's Quest XI and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

The former because I think the story or characters are not connecting with me and latter has become a bit samey. I've also am a bit overwhelmed by the size of the map, there is still loads to cover and my enthusiasm has been sapped.

So I fired up Dangerous Golf which I got for something like 2 quid ages ago on psn. It's okay, nothing mind blowing or anything just something I can play without really thinking.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Shame you aren't enjoying either game @JohnnyShoulder . I did hope you would get along better with XI then I did VIII !

As for me I've finished the Code Vein trial. Having found out that I can use the online in the trial at least without needing PS Plus is a boon.

The bosses in the super hard depths dunegon were kicking my butt six ways to sunday.

Met a few helpful folks and juuuuuust managed to beat them... Had a fun playing with a friend from the beginning too.

Also found out that despite there being only six categories of weapons, they do have different movesets between weapons in the same category which is good as I wasn't too sure if they would.

Still keep forgetting to block or parry though!

Looking forward to Pushsquare's review

Though I'm not really feeling Odin Sphere at the moment... Think I might have to boot up a Souls thanks to Vein (I won't be able to get that right away either)

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Gremio108

@RogerRoger It's the ones to do with the bin lorries and all that. After a quick search it would seem that a few people have had similar problems and managed to proceed, so I think I'll be fine

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Ah, okay. I think I know where you're at.

Fingers crossed you're able to carry on. The ending is pretty decent.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@KratosMD I didn’t realise that was in this game until I hit it the other day. There goes a significant proportion of my play time again.

And I just unlocked the clan creator mode which looks like it will be a similar time sink.

Thrillho

Kidfried

@KratosMD I kinda like it, but it also feels pretty dumb, being the same every time.

I put a lot of time in it already in Kiwanis 2 now. Too bad the end of it is locked off until you progress story wise. I can't even use it to earn money anymore. Strange to have it locked off like that.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Kidfried

I'm finally playing Witcher Tales: ThronebreakeR (@Octane), took me a while to make time for it. Well, I still haven't finished AC: Origins to be honest with y'all, but I just decided it was time for something new. Origins is just too dang long of a game.

I'm playing it together with my partner, which sometimes helps in finding the best moves, but at other times just results in longer gameplay, because of discussions about 'the best move'.

Preliminary impressions, as I'm still not too far in:

• I like the story and the lore of the Witcher a lot, and playing this game is like returning to an old friend, even when the main characters are different persons living in a different region. I think the writing is very well done. It's about as good as The Witcher 3, but it feel like it was written by a different writer.
  • That last thing I didn't mean as a bad thing, because I think it's great that this game feels like a story on its own mostly. The scope is way different from The Witcher games too. And I think that's the only way in which you're going to make a spin-off like this work, as compared to trying to steer as closely to the original as possible.
  • Looks good and sounds good. This game has a cartoony style, and it's pretty clear it was made on a tighter budget than the other CD Projekt Red games, but that doesn't mean this game lacks polish (aside from a few graphic glitches), because in the A/V department this game is just very well made. All regions look great and have nice details, and from the cutscenes too it's clear this was another labor of love from CD Projekt Red. The music... it almost deserves its own bullet point, because, yes, it's just that good.
  • The gameplay is nice. There are a lot of 'puzzle battles' in this one, maybe just too much, but they are well made and always serve the narrative. Some of them have brilliant solutions too, so they will feel worth of your time too. Overall I like the unique gameplay elements this game provides over the default Gwent playing styles too, as a single player game just needs some more dynamics like that to keep it as engaging as multiplayer.
  • It's super fun. I can hardly stress this enough: I'm having a very, very good time. Not only playing the card game, but also (which will make up most of your time) scowering and exploring the world map, looking for quests, loot and other stuff.
  • The inclusion of the gold chests, with premium cards and loot to be used in the multiplayer game, is a dumb addition. Yes, it's smart from a business standpoint, to lure players to your multiplayer game, but I think they designed it the wrong way around. In-game I just don't feel enticed to go after these chests, aside from 100% completion, because I'm not planning to return anytime soon.

So, yea...can't wait to return to the game this evening!

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried Thanks for posting your impressions! This has always been on my radar and has been in my basket a few times, but I seem to take it out for some reason. Think I will take the plunge next time I see it on sale!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Octane

@Kidfried I wonder how many patches are out by now. I encountered quite a few game breaking glitches. I lost some progression here and there, and the game would sometimes freeze.

I never managed to beat it, because I think the final fight is very unfair, but I'd like to know what you think when you get there!

Octane

HallowMoonshadow

Been playing Dark Souls 2: Scholar Of The First Sin again the past few days and I've encountered a bizarre bug. The playtime shot up from 3/4 hours to 999:59:59 for some reason.

Irritating me quite a bit.

So much so I'm restarting it tonight. Thankfully I've not played it a whole lot but still...

Nice impressions @Kidfried by the way! Hadn't heard of that game really (I vaguely remember seeing the review) so nice to hear about it. Sounds neat!

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

Restarted and got back to where I was in Dark Souls 2: Scholar Of The First Sin in an hour or so
last night. Spent the other hour failing miserably.

Anyone tried a playthrough of this or the original version of 2 whilst being a member of the Company of Champions?

Haven't levelled my bandit up yet at all and the Forest Of Fallen Giants is whooping my butt with the Company of Champions being my current allegiance. Died nine times already.

Maybe I'll just play normally and have the eventual despawning enemies for now... 😅

Th3solution

Despite my having said I was getting into an open world collectathon mood, I decided to play Titanfall 2.
I don’t usually like FPS (besides the Borderlands series) because I’m horrible at them, and most are so multiplayer focused that I really can’t compete. But I had on good authority that TF2 has a solid and fun solo campaign and the financial barrier to entry is so low when the deluxe edition goes on sale for $8.
I’ve played the first 4 chapters, about 3 hours into it and I can report that I’m really enjoying it. The movement is slick, the controls are intuitive, and gunplay feels responsive and satisfying. There is quite a bit of variety in combat with the ability to play as a Titan (the large Mech) or as a Pilot (the player on the ground). Even the pilot controls include expanded features like wall-running (reminiscent of Prince of Persia style, and I think maybe Mirror’s Edge) and jet pack and futuristic suit supported double jumps and slides (reminds me a little of Vanquish). The augmentation of the suit makes traversal fun and the game is much more kinetic than the average military shooter. I’m playing on normal and so far it’s not terribly difficult, even for a novice of the genre like me. Not to say I don’t die sometimes, but when I do, it’s quickly remedied.
So my first impressions are favorable for this — the only FPS not named “Borderlands” or “Battlefront” that I’ve played on PS4. I’m liking the setting and gameplay and it makes me even more confused about why they haven’t done anything else with this IP. It has a lot of potential, it seems. Locking the first game on the Xbox probably didn’t do the IP any favors to create necessary interest in the now dominant PS4 community.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I think T2 is still my favourite FPS story campaign, maybe the first Wolfenstien just shades it but that did run out of steam towards the end imo. You are about come upon Cause and Effect, the level that a lot of people rave about. It will be interesting to see what you think!

Gremio108

I seem to have got sucked back in to Red Dead Online. It's still not perfect, but when it comes together it's a lot of fun. This is not going to do my backlog any good whatsoever...

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Also in answer to the next game in the Titanfall series, Apex Legend is part of the same universe but sans Titans. The second game was sent out to die sandwiched between CoD and Battlefield when it was released. We may see a third game after Respawn are finished with Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, but I would not get any hopes up.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Oh yeah, I really like Cause and Effect so far. I only played a little bit so far, but the flipping back and forth mechanic is a cool feature. But I’ve transitioned into a flaming debris a few times for an instant death. 😂 I’m not very far into it and I could see this chapter is going to be epic so I stopped playing for now until I can get a more substantial few hours to savor it without interruption.

I have no interest in F2P Battle Royale, so I’m not likely to try Apex Legends. But the quality of Titanfall 2 certainly has me much more interested in Jedi Fallen Order. TF2 is my first Respawn game and the their work is really impressive and so Fallen Order might be special. As a Star Wars fan, I’ve never been hugely impressed with the licensed games, but I’m crossing my fingers that this is going to be a well developed AAA game and not a rushed cash grab to piggyback onto the Rise of Skywalker movie.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

I've gone back to play the three DLC packs for Just Cause 4 and I've gotta say, whether it's because I simply tried playing it too close to other releases or thanks to incremental improvements made with the packs and other patches, it's nowhere near as bad as I remember. It still won't win any awards for its looks, but they're more beautiful than not. I can see why some issues still exist now and they're kinda not the developer's fault. The lighting also seems to have been slightly improved in some areas, and I think the sound effects have been beefed up, too. Simply put, when I started playing yesterday, my reaction was more "Hey, this is pretty sweet!" rather than "Oh great, this again."

The DLC itself is typically Just Cause and therefore rather cathartic. I've only played the first one thusfar, and it's quite lengthy so I'll be finishing it today, but it comprises a series of timed destruction events that are just challenging enough to be fun. Geared towards maximum explosive chaos and set to a blaring rock soundtrack, it's mindless action gameplay in its purest form. I approve.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Oooh nice @RogerRoger! Only played the third via ps plus... Didn't like it at all though barring the wingsuit being a decent traversal mechanic once ya got the hang of it

I tried the Monster Boy & The Cursed Kingdom demo that came out on psn very recently

... Eh

The basic plot reminded me of Katamari Damacy except instead of the king of all cosmos destroying the universe whilst on a bender.

Your uncle (whilst flying on a barrel) turns an entire kingdom into monsters whilst on a bender (The game calls it royal nectar instead... He's sloshed to his eyeballs still though)

Technically this would be my second Metroidvania (Do I count playing this twenty minute demo as my second one ever though?) and it's quite a stark contrast to Hollow Knight.

Hollow Knight being rather oppressive, moody and tactical whilst Monster Boy is extremely jolly and colourful.

The music got on my nerves though within five minutes and honestly... It's not the greatest opening you could have at all.

The fact there's no proper swimming animation for the boy seemed rather lazy too and there was something about the gameplay at the beginning that seemed even more simplistic then Hollow Knight's start.

The demo ended on a mediocre boss fight against an octopus (The False Knight is sooooooo much better) where here I just flailed around a bit til I was done, especially at the end where rocks continiusly fell from the sky (... Like the False Knight...)

It then proceeded to showcase a sizzle reel of all the 8/9's it got. Seemed a little desperate if I'm honest before asking if I wanted to purchase it

After that though you can play another (much smaller section too) as a Frog Boy.

This really was a step up with much better puzzles and use of the enviroment.

Like using your ice sword and a waterfall to make platforms to climb up or the frog's tongue to swing across/up areas and grab bombs and other items too.

And then it showed that sizzle reel again. The animation cut scenes it shows from the actual game look really lovely...

Still not particularly impressed... Maybe I'm just too much of a moody git though!

Tiger77

I have been playing GRID since yesterday, and i must say, I'm having a blast.
Playing on a PS4 Pro so I'm not experiencing any of the problems of the base console version.

To me , it's just a gorgeous, simple arcade racer - like Driveclub was. Okay , it may not have the flashy
presentation of the org. GRID or the brilliant DIRT 2 , but the racing is a hell of a lot of fun -
and that's what counts , right ?

Tiger77

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I played one of the Wonder Boy games on the Switch, and I quite liked it. But a lot of it has to with nostalgic reasons as i played the games on the Sega Master System (showing my age now lol).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic