Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,221 to 1,240 of 6,458

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Thanks for the warning. I did look up some gameplay and the constant strobing of the road (a graphical, artistic choice to be fair) gave me a headache, but I was still tempted to add it to my Library at some point, just in case. Now I'll steer well clear, pun semi-intended.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@Th3solution I play Out Run every other week in Yakuza 0. Truly love that game, and Kiryu playing it is amazing. I imitate his moves when he takes place in the arcade cabinet.

Origins is brilliant. Been playing it together with my partner and that's a great way to experience it, taking turns to explore the next mark on your map.

I'm in love with the historical setting in these games, so I'm easily pleased though if it looks alright.

Some systems are a bit too simple if you ask me. Some combat and stealth stuff, just like the variety of quests, should have been paid a bit more attention too. But I'm totally having a blast and looking forward to each session.

Kidfried

Gremio108

@Kidfried Yeah, have to agree with your goods and bads here. It's knockabout fun for a while. Was playing it in four-player the other day and it was pretty funny trying to ram each other off the track. There's a lot of comedy value in attempting to mess up the race for your co-op partner.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger If you enjoyed No Man's Sky but not so much the grindy feeling of the crafting and the procedural generated worlds, I say give Subnautica a go! It is a mid budget title, so the graphics can look a bit basic in places and there is some slow down occasionally (seems to happen when most often when you jump out of the water). But generally the game looks gorgeous, especially at night when everything lights up.
It feels more fun to play than NMS, as I've been having a good time just swimming underwater exploring. And there is a more consistent threat with some of the wildlife attacking you on sight or when you get too close to them. These are easily identified however, and you can usually swim around them. I've not been able to kill any fish yet, I have knife which only scares predators away but am unsure if you can later on. You catch some of the fish and then cook them for food or craft into water. Most of the materials for crafting are quite easy to find with only the rarer stuff like gold and silver you have go searching for, usually deeper underwater.
When you die you lose some of you items and are returned to your life pod. I think I've only died a handful of times at the most. As long as you prepare enough water and stuff you should be ok most of the time.
The game is very atmospheric and can be quite haunting, especially at night time. With headphones even more so and is a very immersive experience.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Neat, thanks for the details! Will definitely keep it in mind. Will be interested as to whether it has a definitive ending and / or point to it, though; as much as I sometimes enjoy (and need) a bit of aimless wandering, I quite like having something to work towards, a specific goal which I can use to call a game "complete" and move on. That's what I felt No Man's Sky was lacking, even though it kinda had one of sorts.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I was thinking that last night when I was playing it, it definitely feels a more focused experienced than NMS. This feels like what that game should had been at launch, instead of 18 months worth of updates down the line. Once you fix the radio, you start receiving messages from other life pods which you can go to investigate. The data pads you find kinda fill in bits of the story but I've not interacted or seen anyone else yet. Strangely though I've not had the feeling of solitude much. But they was big story moment that happened last night that had me go 'WOW', something that NMS lacked.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder That's great to hear, thank you!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

After getting all my explosive rubber ducks in a row and popping the last few attainable trophies on Hitman 2 yesterday, I've just started Detroit: Become Human.

I downloaded and was going to play Heavy Rain first; beyond a demo of Fahrenheit on PS2, I've never played a David Cage game before and figured I'd therefore try the ones made available to me in order. Last night I couldn't sleep, however, and so did a little spoiler-free research on tone and content and am so glad I did. Not sure I'd have ever started Detroit if I'd played Heavy Rain first. Am perfectly happy skipping that one forever, methinks.

Detroit, meanwhile, is off to a fine start. Immediately feeling drawn in and it's caught me with a "just one more chapter" feeling already. I have favourite characters, I've cheered outcomes I've managed to accomplish, and I've gasped at post-chapter timelines showing that I'd unlocked 25% of the possible outcomes. Methinks I'm gonna enjoy this!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I'm curious, why won't you ever give Heavy Rain a chance? I gave up as I didn't like the controls.

If you like Detroit Become Human, you should give Beyond Two Souls ago too. I know a few people didn't like it but I thought it was ace, if not without a few faults.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Found out about the drug use and self-torture sequences. Don't ever wanna play that (I have a tough enough time watching such things in TV and film; don't make me have to "do" it). The story and themes of Detroit are much more my thing.

And thanks, yeah. I'll see how I feel after I've finished Detroit. A friend of mine played it before and said it got a bum rap from critics, so I'll keep it in mind.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Ah fair enough, I never made it that far. The two later games control a lot better, but the stealth sections in Beyond I found a bit of a nightmare

Th3solution

@RogerRoger @JohnnyShoulder I need to play Beyond TS at some point, it sounds. I enjoyed both Heavy Rain and Detroit, especially Detroit. I finished HR once, and didn’t go back to experience other storylines, and I’d say it was a good narrative experience, weird controls and less interesting characters notwithstanding. But definitely the tone is a little bit grim and I’m glad Rog that you avoided it in favor of Detroit, which is far and away more polished and better imo.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

QualityGeezer

I'm slowly but surely working my way through ESO. I only started playing it this year but loving it, so much too do it's crazy

QualityGeezer

ApostateMage

I've just started playing ESO as an wood elf nightblade. Some of the quests make it feel like a proper single player game at times. It's not as polished as FFXIV but it's still good fun and as ever the music is fab.

Edited on by ApostateMage

ApostateMage

JohnnyShoulder

I played Injustice 2 last night after watching a Suicide Sqaud animated flim. It's good fun, although as it's been so long since I last played it it has taken me a bit to get back up to speed with story. There should be a recap option for lapsed players such as me lol.

HallowMoonshadow

So I've played about twelve hours of Middle Earth: Shadow Of War now @Th3solution (Thought you might appreciate an update) @Kidfried (In case you're interested in my view)

The main story is rubbish. It and the characters I find are rather boringly written and incredibly tropey. It's pretty obvious where the plot is going. My prediction being Shelob being good all along and Celebrimbor betraying Talion with some feud between them and if it doesn't end up there I'll eat my hat.

I feel a bit sorry for Troy Baker having to play such a moody git like Talion... He's a great voice actor with roles like Kanji Tatsumi from Persona 4 or Valvatorez from Disgaea IV ... Boy does Talion bore me silly though.

Thankfully the Orcs/Uruks are written well enough at least. The Austrailan accented Brůz The Chopper is a treat (And voiced by Gideon Emery or Leading Man Balthier from Final Fantasy XII) and it's always fun to get in a fight with a captain with the various abilities, weaknesses and the likes they might have. It's usally quite a challenge, especially if you go for one that's ten levels higher then you.

I've had one orc come back four times trying to get me!

They could've used a few more voice actors playing the orcs though (IMBD apparently says there's 20 or so playing the orcs) but I swear all I hear is J.B. Blanc (Ryotaro Dojima from Persona 4, Zinyak from Saints row 4), Dwight Schlutz (O'aka XXIII from FFX and the Vulture in Spiderman PS4) and Sam Reigel!

I've never personally really liked the Batman/Arkham gameplay but to be fair I have only played demo's of those so maybe I'd possibly think they're better down the line as Shadow Of War's combat is alright (I also ended up enjoying Spiderman so maybe I've given Bats a bit of a bum rap)

There's a decent amount of ways to deal with problems now that I've all the main skills unlocked. Though I've got plenty of upgrades/alternate effects I can still get.

The area's are pretty enough and I've kinda learnt the layout of each... Though they're a bit ho hum as well and just feel a bit samey with Ice Area, Fire Area, Forest Area, Mordor area etc with plenty of map icons and objectives

If it wasn't for the Nemesis System I'd honestly say it's a very average to poor game... The Nemesis system making it really and it's basically Shadow Of Mordor with a few bells and whistles attached

6/10 (maybe 6.5/10 if I'm feeling VERY generous) is the best I could see myself giving it when I'm done with it.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Great update! Thanks for that. It’s just what I was wondering about the game. And your thoughts show the game to be about what I expected. Good, not great. I enjoyed Shadow of Mordor about the same .. in the 6-7/10 range. So I’ll leave this one on the back burner until I feel impelled to jump into that world. Let me know if things change upon your completion because sometimes a well executed ending can propel the entire experience, especially from a narrative standpoint.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RR529

Just entered the Penitentiary in Batman: Return to Arkham Asylum. My first time playing any of the Arkham games, and while it's roots as a last gen title show through every once in awhile, I'm really into it.

Despite not being overtly violent/gory (there's no blood effects in the combat, for example), it does a fantastic job of making you feel uneasy thanks to the atmosphere (the Medical Facility creeped me the heck out, lol).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JohnnyShoulder

Continuing the Batman theme, I played a couple of hours on Batman AK last night. It was fine but has not clicked with me yet and i did not have that feeling that I must play it again. I've done the 3 wanted missions in the area and seen Oracle in the clock tower. Not sure what to make of the batmobile so far, it handles a bit too loose for my liking. And if all the Riddler missions are batmobile based I'm not overly keen on doing too many of those. I do really like using the grapple hook however, I'll probably be using that to get around for the majority of the time. I've also been reading the graphic novel which is set before the events of the game. I've not finished those yet but it has helped with some of the background stuff.

I think part of the reason it has not clicked with me is that I'm deep (quite literally lol) into Subnautica. I almost stopped playing it last week as i was finding it a bit mundane. But played on the next day and found a new area which resparked my interest. I've not progressed the story at all, but these types of games are not all about that. Instead I've been really getting into the mechanics of the game, especially the exploring and crafting which kind of compliment each other.

So I've managed to build a little one man submarine which speeds up traversal greatly. There were areas which I hadn't been back to as I couldn't be bothered to go back. Now with the sub I'm going back to those areas and doing a bit more exploring. I've also built an underwater base, which allows me to upgrade my sub, have more storage amongst other things which I have not fully played around with yet. I've never been that keen on base building in games and I hated it in Fallout 4. But I have enjoyed it in Subnautica so far. It is not without a few problems however as I spent about 30 mins trying to build something only to find out I didn't have enough of a material. To be fair it does tell you how much you need of the materials, but I think it could have been clearer as it still allowed be to start building but not let me finish it. Anyway, there have been quite a few instances like this, but I suppose it is purposely obtuse being a survival game. It feels like I've learnt loads in the game over the last few days, and had great feeling of accomplishment when I crafted my sub and built my base up.

@RogerRoger Tagged in as you showed some interest in the game earlier.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic