Forums

Topic: The Trophy Discussion Thread

Posts 4,761 to 4,780 of 5,141

Th3solution

šŸŽ‰ #40 - Life is Strange 2.

A really easy (although not automatic) platinum. Yet rate of achievement is only 5.3%, according to the PSN statistics.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution congrats budā€¦ as someone who doesnā€™t generally enjoy the narrative-heavy telltale style genre, I have a real soft spot for the Life is Strange games for some reason.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore I forget which of them they youā€™ve played. Have you run through all of them?

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution just 1 and 2 thus farā€¦ I have 3 in the backlog though and waiting for a deal on Before the Storm. Iā€™m in no rush though, as I donā€™t think Iā€™d enjoy them if I played through them consecutively. Iā€™ve tended to play one per year since starting them.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Nice. I dropped some post-game impressions over on the ā€œgames youā€™ve recently beatā€ thread if youā€™re interested.

I agree that these are the kinds of games even I canā€™t play back-to-back too often. I have the third one to play yet and Iā€™ll probably slot it in for late this year or maybe next year. For now, itā€™s back to Jedi Survivor and FF16 until I need another break in the action.

Thrillho

@Th3solution Nice one! Had the game been on PS+ or something as that often skews numbers downwards as people try it and give up.

That said, it always amazes me when you look at trophy stats just how few people seem to complete games, let alone platinum them.

Iā€™m sure I read something about Marvel Midnight Suns that the ending feels weirdly rushed and part of that was that the big wigs on the team said most people only play the start of games so they put most effort into the early and mid game.

Thrillho

render

@Th3solution Good job on that platinum. Not played any of the games but hear good things about them.

render

Th3solution

@Thrillho Thatā€™s a sad commentary on game development since I really feel like a good end game is such a huge part of the overall impact and quality of the experience. When I think about my favorite games of all time, an epic and moving conclusion is almost always part of the recipe.

But I totally understand developersā€™ strategy of focusing on the beginning and mid section, because so few people will see the ending ā€” Especially in these really long games they make nowadays.

A quick inventory of my own list shows that Iā€™ve left about 11 out of my last 50 games incomplete and never saw the ending. For me thatā€™s about a 20% abandon rate, which is pretty high for someone as avid a gamer as I am. I definitely think that the advent of subscription services has contributed to people leaving games unfinished. But I was surprised to see that personally about half my abandoned games are purchases and half are PS+ games.

Iā€™ve been more focused lately and try to only start games that Iā€™m committed to, but I completely understand that some people take the approach of sampling the beginning of a lot of games and then moving on if the opening few hours doesnā€™t grab them. I just prefer to not have my trophy list littered with a bunch of 0%-1% entires. šŸ˜… Itā€™s just a weird quirk I have. I probably only have one or two games on my entire list that are at a 1% trophy list or less. I always try to at least get 2-3 trophies before giving up on a game.

sorteddan

@Th3solution
It's not just you with that weird quirk! I will continue to play games I actively dislike just to get the trophy percentage above 20% as those 1-2% ones just aggravate me. It's why I research reviews more before playing all of the free PS+ stuff like I used to.

ā€œWe are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.ā€

Th3solution

@sorteddan Good to know Iā€™m not the only one. šŸ˜„
One tactic Iā€™ve used before if I want to sample a game first before committing is to log into my console as a guest and boot up the game there and play the first several minutes to see what it is. If I like it then Iā€™ll go back to my actual profile and start the game from there.

As Iā€™m sure you already know, but just in case you donā€™t (or someone else passing by may not know), the PSN also allows you to delete a gameā€™s trophy list if you havenā€™t earned any trophies on it yet. Problem is that some games will pop a quick trophy in the first few minutes.

sorteddan

@Th3solution
Yeah I did know about being able to delete the zero percentage but would happily forsake a few random bronze trophies for getting past the tutorial if they gave me the option to delete games trophy lists to get rid of those shameful sub 5%s.

Good tip about the guest account though, that had never occurred to me.

ā€œWe are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.ā€

KilloWertz

@Th3solution Add another to the list. Obviously there's the rare occasion where a game you think is definitely something you'll enjoy ends up not working out, but I'm definitely not one to start a bunch of games and only actually finish a fraction of them. I don't want a bunch of hardly played games on my Games list or Trophy list. It's bad enough I was one of the dumb people who bought some of those $1.49 shovelware games for easy platinums for a couple of months (I think last year) and have those 9 games on record.

I actually don't even claim a free Essential game anymore unless I think there's a good chance I'll play it at some point. I'd rather not even have games in my library that I know would definitely go unplayed anymore.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution another! I do quite a bit of research before starting almost every game I playā€¦ and on the odd occasion that I still end up not enjoying a game (after extensive research) Iā€™ll generally power through it anyway in a ā€œIā€™ve started, so Iā€™ll finishā€ kinda way.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@KilloWertz As far as the claiming of Essential games, Iā€™m still in the habit of grabbing them all, even if they donā€™t interest me. Iā€™ve got like 400+ games in my library. I should probably be more selective but there was a time or two that I later regretted not having access to a certain game that I didnā€™t think Iā€™d ever play but later became interested in.

The more annoying thing I have now is PS+ Extra games in my library that have since been removed from the service but since I claimed them are still showing up in my library, just they are locked out without access. Itā€™s almost as annoying as the demo icons in my library. I have to admit that one of the deterrents for trying a demo is that the stupid demo will forever be stuck in my games list after I download it.

@colonelkilgore Somehow I knew youā€™d be another who liked a tidy trophy list, colonel. Iā€™ve always admired your ability to stick it out through games you sometimes donā€™t click with initially; and often for the full platinum. Youā€™re very disciplined! šŸ˜„

KilloWertz

@Th3solution Yeah, having the demos show up on the Games page after playing them is a bit annoying. What's even more annoying is how Sony refuses to fix some of them on the Games page, like Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I played it both on the PS4 and the PS5 (along with the demo on the PS4), but when I look at other people's Games pages and it shows the comparison, it is like I never played the game even though I have on each console. They really should fix that, but they never will at this point.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

nessisonett

#41 - Far Cry 3 Classic Edition

Decent list, some truly irritating ones in there like distracting 25 enemies with rocks. Only having to get 60/120 relics was a good decision though. Only took about 21 hours.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

CaptD

@nessisonett Congrats good game although I seem to remember the Ubisoft port being a bit lazy, as is usually the case when they bundle it "free" (not free) in the season pass/gold edition.

CaptD

nessisonett

@CaptD Yeah, 30FPS was a bit disappointing for an older game and there were some glitches that Iā€™m convinced are due to increased draw distance. At least it isnā€™t a pared down version like the original Far Cry was on Xbox!

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett congrats, good to know that the trophy list isnā€™t too pedanticā€¦ I remember FC3 real fondly but not enough for the Classic Edition to out stay itā€™s welcome.

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic