Forums

Topic: The Trophy Discussion Thread

Posts 4,641 to 4,660 of 5,747

oliverp

Wow had no idea that you guys liked MGS so much. I like the MGS games very much to. Especially Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. That game is so cool (I wish more people would have had the chance to play the game). Its definitely one of my favorite games of all time (been trying without much success to persuade some of my friends to play it). Really wish the PS4 had more of those hack and slash action games..

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

colonelkilgore

@oliverp I’m still to play MGR:R personally but will definitely get to it. As the platinum is so difficult for MGR:R I’m building my skills on Character-action games (worst genre name ever conceived btw) with less challenging games in the genre first.

The most recent character-action game that released to universal acclaim was Devil May Cry V, not sure if you’ve played it but is apparently excellent and available on PS4 and PS5. Might be worth you giving it a look 👍.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

oliverp

@colonelkilgore. Right so I liked the Ninja Theory version of Devil May more then Devil May V actually. That said I have only played a few mission of Devil May V so maybe I must first complete V before I say final judgment. Ninja Theoryies game was excellent though in my opinion and are also actually a game I kind of think many might have missed but should try out. The visuals in that game are stunning..

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

colonelkilgore

@oliverp well…

oliverp wrote:

… so I liked the Ninja Theory version of Devil May more then Devil May V actually…

… that would officially be deemed as heresy within gaming circles 🤣. I wouldn’t know though as I haven’t played them (and I’m sure that you’re not completely alone on that… though probably in the minority is all).

Don’t know if you’ve played them but the PS4 remasters of Bayonetta and Vanquish are also held in high regard by character-action purists.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore I’m so confused now how to label games anymore. I’m not sure I could differentiate a character-action from an action-adventure from a action-rpg from a western rpg from a souls-like from a narrative-action from a brawler from a…. Etc, etc.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution I know buddy… I mean I do understand the sub-genres in my mind (somewhat anyway) but I do feel the accepted nomenclature really unhelpful… particularly in relation to ‘character-action’. I remember that people had problems with the term souls-like for the longest too… but those issues seem to have fallen to the wayside as time has passed.

I suppose the way that I personally pigeon-hole games of this type (that seem to fall under the action-adventure or action-rpg umbrellas) is down to the combat more than anything else. So… deliberate, stamina-based combat would tend to be a souls-like, while flashy and extremely quick hack and slash combat (particularly with air-juggles) would be character-action (we have to come up with a better name though) and anything in-between would likely be action-adventure. I dunno, seems the most logical way to me… but my mind works very differently to most peoples, as is made abundantly clear to me on a daily basis 😅

**** DLC!

LN78

@colonelkilgore Character action games like "DMC" used to be called "spectacle fighters". I suspect that got changed because of "Bayonetta".

LN78

oliverp

@colonelkilgore Well I think its more a testament that I like Ninja Theorys version of game more then anything else. I really admire Ninja Theorys work on the game. I also think that maybe its a title that many may have unfortunately have missed due to the mix reviews the game first got. Its a really good game worth playing!

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

colonelkilgore

@oliverp I have it in my backlog as it goes bud… like I said I have no skin in the game as it were, just that I’ve seen the hate it gets from the Devil May Cry purists. We’re all free to enjoy exactly what it is that we individually enjoy… hell I enjoy Ubisoft games for my sins 😅

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@oliverp I continue to maintain that executing a perfect parry and triggering zandatsu in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is the most satisfying thing in all of gaming. The sound, the spectacle, the feel of the whole sequence when it hits just right... [chef's kiss] It's perfection.

Would've loved a sequel, but I'd happily take a remaster in its place. Speaking of which, @colonelkilgore is right to recommend the Vanquish remaster. That game was already great on PS3, so they didn't have to make much of an effort porting it to PS4 and they didn't, but that's okay. In terms of pure shooter gameplay, it's one of the best and, again, feels fantastic to play.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger @colonelkilgore @oliverp Speaking of Platinum’s other games like MGR, Vanquish, and Bayonetta - shout out to Nier Automata. It’s more rpg-ish I think, but has that action-y combat that is so flashy and fun.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution good shout, one of my favourite games from the PS4 generation for sure. Absolutely beautiful for the eyes and ears (& mind)… and playable as all hell!

**** DLC!

Mr_B021

I’m a bit late to the MGS discussion, but what are the odds of MGS1 on PS + premium with trophies, someday? Of all the games in the series 1 still takes the cake and I would love to platinum it. I replay it almost every year on my Vita. I don’t think we’ll ever see the much requested remake, which is odd because that would be a slam dunk for Konami.

Mr_B021

PSN: Mr_B021

RogerRoger

@Mr_B021 Alas, the prevailing rumour seems to be that there's an MGS3 remake in the works, which would seem to suggest that Konami wanna revisit the series in timeline order. It's one heck of a commitment to make, though, if that really is their remake plan going forward. Or it's simply because MGS3 is the most standalone of all the games, at least in terms of story.

Normally I'd agree with you about a remake of the PSone original, but then I look at the mess surrounding the FFVII remake(s) and reckon that there's no such thing as a "slam dunk" in gaming. I think you're right, I think seeing it emerge as a trophy-supported PSone Classic is more likely.

The trophy list would probably be insane to platinum, though!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

oliverp

@RogerRoger Aside from the excellent gameplay and graphics I find the story interesting at times. I'm not sure how many people know that Metal Gear Rising is the game that end the Metal Gear saga chronology. Without knowing for sure of course I guess many people think that MGS4 is the last game in saga story wise. If remake would happen I think I would personally find a remake of MSG4 as the maybe the most interesting prospect as that game have never got any remake and because the prospects to see the environments of that game in 4k seems interesting to say the least hehe. A remake of any kind would probably have a massive trophy list (I dare not to trust the remake rumors just yet)..

oliverp

Th3solution

@RogerRoger @Mr_B021 @oliverp It really is difficult to understand the method to the PS+ Premium madness. Curiously, you could look at the 20 games included in the crash-and-burn PlayStation Classic:

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

…and prevailing logic would be that these games are prime candidates to be included in the PS+ Premium catalog because at one point Sony felt they were important enough to put on that failed little experiment of a console. Presumably there was already some kind of negotiations and work done to get those games resurrected back in 2018.

And some have been carried over — like Wild Arms, Intelligent Cube, Mr. Driller, Syphon Filter, and Oddworld. But big names like MGS, Twisted Metal, and Persona have been omitted.

So perhaps trophy support is the obstacle? But the more logical reason seems like it’s because pending remakes are in process since Twisted Metal is all but confirmed I think and Persona is dipping back into its older games for remastered releases. But then you have a game like Shatter which was given out on PS+P and then promptly had a PS4/PS5 Remake recently released.

So what’s the deal with MGS? Who knows.

Edited on by Th3solution

RogerRoger

@oliverp I guess it depends on what you consider the story of Metal Gear to be. Most would probably say that it's the story of the various Snakes and that, without a Snake, Revengeance is therefore a spin-off but you're right, its themes are definitely a continuation of (and arguably resolution to) some of the major components of the whole Metal Gear saga.

You're not alone in wanting MGS4 freed from its exile on PS3. I'm hopeful that, if Konami really are serious about resurrecting the series, we'll see a bunch of remasters and ports alongside any remakes.

@Th3solution Good shout on recalling the PlayStation Classic. I think there's a business strategy being played out alongside any legal negotiations, as well. For example, all five Syphon Filter games were ready to go when the service launched, but we're only about to get the third next week, with the series being slowly drip-fed to gamers. It's the same kinda logic that leads to binge-worthy streaming shows being released on a weekly basis. Sony need to retain subscription levels, so they'll be holding back some major names and dropping them strategically, in a pattern based on internal player data.

You're right, I'd be very surprised if those PlayStation Classic games didn't all make the jump eventually, but I think we're gonna be waiting a while for some of 'em to do so.

The whole remake angle is quite interesting. Personally speaking, I'd be more interested in being able to access the original version of a game alongside its remake, as the comparison could be fun (it's why I'm currently watching Resi 2 Remake, and made time for the original Sonic the Hedgehog when it was included in Sonic Generations). Then again, I'm not sure businesses think the same way, as they'll be worried about "diluting the brand" or whatever the terminology is.

Making It So Since 1987

Mr_B021

@Th3solution I totally forgot about the PlayStation classic. I suppose the bottleneck is trophy support and licensing issues. It is one thing to licence a game for a one time retail unit like the classic compared to a long term licensing deal for a streaming platform. I just hope that someday we can enjoy the entire MGS series on one future proof system 🤞🏼The PS3 came close.

Mr_B021

PSN: Mr_B021

sorteddan

#151 Jydge (PS5)
Already had the platinum from whenever I played the PS4 version, give me a free PS5 upgrade with a new trophy list and a reason to do it all over again. Thank you 10tons. I like this game.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic