Forums

Topic: The Last Of Us Part II - OT (No Spoilers)

Posts 401 to 420 of 522

Thrillho

@Mpquikster It’s quite good fun to play using some of the modifiers that you can unlock on completion. Being able to go all guns blazing makes the game feel quite different!

Thrillho

ThroughTheIris56

@Cornaboyzzz Yep. For the most part it's a good game. Gameplay is satisfying and visceral, attention to detail is amazing, and audio is immersive. It's just a shame about the story. For a sequel to The Last Of Us, narrative is the one thing I wish they would have nailed. Unfortunately the bad story brings down the whole game for me. It became way too hard for me to become invested in the gameplay at certain parts, due to how much I disliked the story and who I was playing as, as was bad when we had the complete opposite goals. Not to mention it went on for way too long.

ThroughTheIris56

Cornaboyzzz

@ThroughTheIris56 Yeah it was dragging for so long without much happening, and it's a shame because it started so strong, I loved the first 3 hours. Well, not "loved" (there was nothing lovable about it), but it worked really well. After that, it became simply boring. Characters were dull and uninteresting.

Cornaboyzzz

MaulTsir

So I'm currently playing and really enjoying it. I'm guessing I'm about half way through, I avoided spoilers as much as possible, but while playing through it started to make me wonder about why people have disliked the game so much.

The gameplay is very similar to the first, upgraded a little in my opinion and to be honest I loved the first game but the gameplay wasn't revolutionary it was the bog standard duck and cover with survival and stealth elements nothing really ground breaking.

The story in the first was absolutely excellent, with out doubt. And as far as I can see the story telling in this one is up there with some of the best again.

I mean I can see why some people are mad/upset. People have this need for things to always turn out right and its a bold move what naughty dog have done but every story has 2 sides there isn't just good and bad. Every person has family and friends, people they would do anything for.

Its strange how people can get so attached to certain characters that they can't ever seem to see there is a bigger world. I mean if the first game was told the other way round and you got to see it from the other perspective from the beginning would people still feel the same way?

MaulTsir

FullMetalWesker

Just finished the game, and to my surprise, I found myself somewhat enjoying the experience; admittedly not as much as it's biggest supporters, but enough to give the game a 7, maybe an 8 out of 10. I will admit that a lot of the problems I was hearing about are either not present, or are somewhat less prevalent than described (though I do still feel Ellie deserved better than what she got). I feel like the game could've possibly fleshed out some of the side-characters more, maybe offer their perspective on the protagonist's actions, but I get that that's not really a necessity for the story.
Overall, while I would probably place this game a little below the first one (purely because I prefer the type of story that game told) and will probably not be putting it up on any favourites lists, it's a decent enough game in it's own right, one that I found surprisingly more enjoyable than expected.

@MaulTsir - "Its strange how people can get so attached to certain characters that they can't ever seem to see there is a bigger world. I mean if the first game was told the other way round and you got to see it from the other perspective from the beginning would people still feel the same way?"
Exactly. The game even goes out of it's way to emphasis Perspective as a theme, and how it can shape a person's view on events and people, and yet the point seems to get ignored anyway.

FullMetalWesker

MaulTsir

@FullMetalWesker Yeah I can only describe it as a bit child like, how a child is so attached to a certain toy or Teddy and doesn't ever feel the same about the new one no matter how much you try to make it.

I'm so close to the end now and I've got to say my emotions have still been all over the place with it which I'm loving to be honest not this many games get me that involved.

There has been 2 gripes I've had so far but more to do with how they went about it than anything to do with the story or the characters.

MaulTsir

colonelkilgore

Just played through the birthday trip to the museum section... Druckman is such a talented story-teller. He obviously got a hell of a lot of **** back when TLoU2 released (wrongfully imho) but the guy is just super talented. How he built on the relationship between Joel and Ellie... in doing so adding more motivation to the audience to 'buy in' on Ellie's journey into the heart if darkness was just masterfully done. Great scene/section

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Voltan

@colonelkilgore I totally agree. Not sure how much of it is Druckmann and how much is Halley Gross (as they pretty much wrote the whole thing together, I think) but it’s really good.

Voltan

Octane

@colonelkilgore Those flashbacks work great, as they provide background info, but also give you some time to catch your breath from the more action-packed main story.

Octane

colonelkilgore

@Voltan kudos to Halley Gross also in that case... they got a great subtlety and unpretentious quality about the way they do story beats which all too easily could fall into those traps.

@Octane will be real interested to see how Drukmans skills will transfer over to TV... 'seems' a perfect fit.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Voltan

@Octane They also seem to be the reason some people complained about "pacing being all over the place". Personally I thought they made the pacing better (like you said), not took away from it.

Voltan

Octane

@Voltan It's no different than any other game with good pacing, the only difference is that they mostly use flashbacks for the slower paced sections. And it ensures that the one beloved character is still present throughout the game.

Octane

colonelkilgore

@Voltan @Octane I've always been a fan of a well placed flashback in film and TV... about time they started using them in games (obviously they have been used prior to this example... but they are rare in comparison).

**** DLC!

Zeldafan79

As much as i honestly loved most of the game i can't help thinking about how dissapointing my first playthrough was. At that certain point when you're forced to play as you know who and suddenly Ellie is just shoved under the bus for what feels like forever i just kept saying where the hell is Ellie? Why can't i play as Ellie? Is it Ellies turn yet? I swear i almost quit the game and just about lost interest.

That pissed me off more than the intro frankly. I was having serious Deja Vu from my first time playing MGS 2.

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Thrillho

@colonelkilgore @Octane @Voltan Yeah, I really liked those sections and obviously it tugs on the old heartstrings given what happens early on in the game! It also adds to the overall progression of Ellie's character through the game seeing what life was like for her, even post-"apocalypse"".

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Zeldafan79 You might wanna put spoiler tags over that, seeing as someone is currently playing through the game.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Octane

@Thrillho Yeah, I guess that if you really want to hate a game, you'll come up with plenty of reasons, and pacing is obviously an easy target in that case. Of course, even pacing is subjective, there's no objectively good way. What works for one, doesn't work for another. But I liked it.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic