Forums

Topic: The Last Of Us Part II - OT (No Spoilers)

Posts 361 to 380 of 522

carlos82

@SincereMan I see this point about Joel willingly giving his name to strangers all of the time but its Tommy who tells Abby their names just after escaping the ski lift and before they even know about the larger group, so at that point it wouldn't make any sense not to say his name as she already knows it. As for plot armour and surviving injuries the first game does something similar with Joel as he's impaled and loses a lot of blood but survives for some time laid on a freezing floor. Then miraculously the antibiotics kick in (provided by an enemy) and instantly make him combat ready just at the right moment, whilst David fails time and time again to take a simple opportunity to kill Ellie like he's a Bond villain. I didn't feel it lessened the experience though, just that I don't really see anything part 2 does that part 1 didn't in terms of how it went about storytelling. Thats fine though we're not all going to agreeI will say its a bit odd not talking about Marlene now that you mention it, maybe its just taken as an assumption as Ellie is through with Joel at that point.

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Thrillho

Hoo boy, I finally got started on the game today and after a few hours of playing I have a lot of feelings going on right now.

The game looks incredible, even on my base PS4. The amount of options available for the game is pretty staggering but great for setting up exactly what you want. I haven't tinkered with too much other than for making the dynamic range of the volume a bit wider (which didn't half make me jump in the first gun fight).

The opening sequences were great to tie into the old game and the new characters have blended in seamlessly.

I don't know if it's just me but the fighting seems way more intense so far, especially the early fight as Abby which is pretty much all melee action.

I've decided to have a little break after just hitting Joel's death!! I had seen this mentioned on twitter a while ago (annoyingly) but has assumed this was end game stuff rather than so near the beginning. Damn, Naughty Dog, what the hell are you doing to me??

Photo mode has been heavily used so far as well!

(PS It took me a while to find the thread given the typo in the title which will now annoy the hell out me).

Thrillho

Col_McCafferty

@Thrillho Glad you're enjoying it mate. I think it's an extraordinary piece of work and left me feeling very conflicted at points.

My issue whilst playing it was I still have a variety of things spoilt for me (damn you YouTube algorithms!) but still absolutely loved it.

It's the sort of game I wish someone could hypnotise me and make me forget everything before playing it again. Or is that playing it for the first time?

Anyway it's a very good game, first and foremost, driven by compelling characters and a challenging narrative.

Col_McCafferty

R1spam

@Thrillho I think its a classic mate, enjoy! Try and avoid any spoilers, I did and I really think it was important for a game that relies so heavily on its narrative. I'm waiting for a ps5 version for another playthrough, though I'm not sure I could face melee combat with haptic feedback 😬

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

Thrillho

@Col_McCafferty @R1spam Literally the only thing I knew about the game going into it is the bit I already mentioned and hopefully I’m over the hump of accidentally running into spoilers now!

One thing I’ve really liked is how natural and effortless dialogue feels between characters so that you can’t help but feel so involved with the characters.

I got as far as Seattle and have been exploring the area, including clearing out the bank. I’m surprised that, so far, there’s not been any big gun fights and stealth combat has been fairly straightforward so far.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho wrote:

I’m surprised that, so far, there’s not been any big gun fights and stealth combat has been fairly straightforward so far.

@Thrillho Oh those will come!

Glad you are enjoying it though. Definitely one of the best narrative experiences I've had in gaming. And the gameplay is solid too! Thankfully I managed to avoid all of the spoilers, although the event you already experienced i had kinda worked it out already. You are in for a treat!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Col_McCafferty

It's just cleaned up at The Golden Joysticks Awards as well.

The adults have spoken!

😉

Col_McCafferty

Mega-Gazz

Was gonna start this as soon as I polish off days gone since it just went on sale (yay more zombies!), but now I’m tempted to wait for the inevitable ps5 patch.

Mega-Gazz

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder I think I ended my session just as I fell into an area that might be the first big gunfight so far!

@Mega-Gazz I did think about waiting to get it on PS5 but I’m in no rush to get the console and couldn’t turn down the game at half price. It also nicely coincides with my second week of annual leave!

Thrillho

Thrillho

Phew, time for a breather after today's session (so far).

I finished off Seattle earlier and almost pooped myself at the explosion as you jump over the barricade as you're leaving downtown! Poor Shimmer..

The ascent up to the TV tower was alright but the new side of the story is starting to unravel with the murals and blood splattered icons in the tower.

The long escape from the tower was excellent, especially once in the subway. The section under lighting from the flares where you can set the clickers against your assailants was fantastic and utterly tense trying to stay safe as both sided duked it out.

I also met the newest addition to the infected family and stayed well away from them! I managed both areas they were in without having to fight one.

I'm up to 50 screenshots already and just the one video from this session that made me jump/laugh;

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho That subway section was fantastic. The lighting and music made it all very tense.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, everything about it was spot on.

I feel I've played loads but have only just got going with day 2

The end of day 1 is another highlight though..

with the scene in the natural history museum. It was perfectly done and made me a bit teary with Joel coming back and the chemistry between them both.

The bit in the capsule was especially well done with Ellie listening to the launch on cassette (I thought it was going to be David Bowie though to be honest).

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Thrillho

Only a couple hours play so far today early on in The Seraphites.

Naughty Dog you utter b******ds.. I got one hell of a jump when using a workbench in one building and a whole load of people appear from nowhere and jump you. I quite like it when games subvert expectations like that and make you realise you're never safe but I certainly was not expecting that.

Even worse when it turns out they weren't even baddies..

Thrillho

Octane

@Thrillho Fun stuff, you can actually place a bomb in front of the door, and it'll blow up when they approach you, preventing them from pulling you away from the bench. Pretty cool this is possible.

Octane

Thrillho

So I've got through a fair bit since my last post but in smaller bursts than I did before.

I finished off the rest of Ellie's story quite quickly and damn, she is brutal to Nora in the hospital! Some more fun shenanigans setting the clickers against the WLF in the basement there though.

Poor Jessie though after you make it back to the theatre..

From there on, it wasn't a huge shock to see how Abby's story is woven into the one of Joel and Ellie. Seeing the stadium was pretty impressive and showing just what carnage Ellie has been causing to the wolves puts the constant gunning down/throat slitting into context.

After that though, I've found Abby's story a bit dull to be honest. Again, giving all of her friends their own backstories makes you have different feelings about having murdered them all but I don't really give a crap about them to be honest. Seeing the aquarium in its pomp, after seeing it run down with Ellie, was neat though.

Things improved massively once you meet Yara and Lev with some awesome set pieces along the way. The Ground Zero section is an interesting one and creepy as hell.

And all I can say is **** the Rat King!

Thrillho

Thrillho

I must be nearing the end now..

..as I’ve finally got Abby’s timeline to meet up with Ellie’s for when they meet in the theatre.

Storming the seraphite island was good fun and I do enjoy the sections where you can just let the two sides take each other out. Some very cool looking areas in amongst the flames (I may have a screenshot or two from this area...)

The meet up in the theatre was weird as it felt strange to be trying to actively kill Ellie. That said, I found it a bit fiddly and not fun and it reminded of the sequence from the first game where you try to take down the creepy dude in the burning building (which I also didn’t enjoy). I’m certainly glad I didn’t have permadeath again given the array of ways Ellie got to murder Abby

Thrillho

Thrillho

And that's the credits!

I thought that the farm was going to be the end of the game for a short while. Ellie's PTSD was pretty horrendous but handled well.

I'm not quite sure how Tommy survived but the even more drastic change in him and how bitter he has become was even more stark at that point, particularly as he wouldn't be able to avenge Joel any more. I was pretty gutted that Ellie went after Abby again.

The ending section worked well with the flitting between the two characters. The attack on Abby after she had the moment of hope was brutal and the Rattlers seemed like one of the worst gangs seen across the two games.

The silenced machine gun was great fun to play with at the end though. I did have a bit towards the end which was a bit ridiculous as enemy after enemy kept coming into the room I was in having just stealth killed each enemy in turn. Maybe by the time there were six bodies in there they would have thought not to go in by themselves??

And the last fight sequence was well done as I'm sure no-one wanted Ellie to actually kill Abby and it was pretty horrible having to be made to do it. I'm not surprised by how it turned out in the end and am glad it did. I was gutted but not surprised to see how things all ended for Ellie on the farm though..

I'm a bit torn as to whether to jump straight back in for the final trophies though. There are plenty of collectibles I missed and obviously need another run for the weapon and player upgrades.

Thrillho

Th3solution

I have completely avoided this thread and other discussion of this game, for obvious reasons since I haven’t yet played it. I’ve actually been very confused at what to think of the game. It’s been a firestorm of controversy, it seems, and the opinions on it are as varied as I’ve ever seen in a game.

I was tempted to finally buy it when it discounted down to half price last week, but I bought The Outer Worlds instead. Every time I think about playing TLoU2, I just get put off by all the toxicity surrounding it. And I think that’s probably not fair to the game.

I still don’t know why it’s so controversial, although even as much as I have tried to avoid spoilers, I’ve deduced some of the polarizing aspects just through seeing some of the general comments and screenshots over the last several months.

I’m not sure why I’m even posting this, but I’m just having a conversation in my head after seeing that it won GOTY at the Game Awards. And to see the reaction of people stirring up hate for the game again makes me honestly want to buy it. Such a severely toxic response from the gaming community tells me that it’s likely getting unfair treatment and people with an axe to grind are trying to ruin it for some reason. If anyone has any level headed thoughts then I’m all ears. I’m pretty sure I owe it to myself to play it, but just not sure how high up to move it in the queue. Right now I’ve planned to wait until a GOTY Ed with PS5 upgrade, or the MP pack is included, but I have no idea how long that will take.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution Having just completed it, I wouldn’t worry about any of the controversy.

The main issue that trolls seem to have is an utter non-point. Some others say the writing isn’t that good and it really is.

From a mechanics point, there are loads of improvement from the first game, especially in combat. The story is dark but in a way that is exciting and well handled; it’s meant to feel uncomfortable with what’s going on in a post-apocalyptic world!

I had a great time with the game and it deserves all the plaudits it has received.

Thrillho

Kidfried

@Th3solution When people's responses to any game are so all over the place, I'm interested in it immediately.

Metal Gear Solid V, I remember it getting very good reception, but also a looooot of hate. Same with The Last Guardian too. And something similar recently happened with Days Gone, whose reception has been all over the place.

Somehow a game like that is way more exciting to me than a game that just gets a "very good response". Because it means that at least the game is different from what we expect of a AAA game.

However, with TLOU2... yea, the toxicity surrounding it has had its effect on me too. I'm very interested in the game, but I expect to enjoy it a bit more once all the hate surrounding it has died down a little. Right now it would distract me way too much from forming my own opinion about the game. So I'll probably wait until there's a PS5 update of some sorts.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic