Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 2,111

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON @DonJorginho Further thanks; I think I've decided to get it now!

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I'm afraid I haven't played them myself, but I keep hearing a lot of good things. I'm sure there'll be somebody out there who's tried them!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I say you will at advantage not knowing stuff, as you will miss all the signs on how the story will pan out. For me that is one thing it did wrong in regards to the story, it was a wee too predictable for my liking. It was still a fun ride though.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

mookysam

@Th3solution I found it really bizarre. I've never had that with any other collection. Maybe it's just a bit of lazy coding given the games are on the same disc.

@KratosMD It's manual saves. I actually can't remember if it has autosaves (maybe between areas?).

@RogerRoger Awesome! I really enjoyed Spider-Man as you may recall. No pre-existing knowledge of the franchise is particularly required, but even if you can't get into the story or characters as much there is a lot to love about the gameplay. Watching Into the Spider-Verse may have given a few pointers regarding one character (and honestly his portrayal in the game is much less interesting).

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Th3solution

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I played the first game, Shadow of Mordor, and I had a decent time with it. It is a mixture of a few different genres, like you say it heavily borrows from the Arkham games as far as combat systems go. It also uses the Ubisoft tower scheme which most action games do now. It has been a while since I played it so please take my information with a pinch of salt, but I don’t recall much of any weapon or armor upgrading systems. Rather it uses skill advancement more so to level up and there are some powers you add over time to learn new moves and such. I think maybe there was something like runes you add to your sword, but it’s all a bit fuzzy now.

What I do remember is the Nemesis system, which is the series real claim to fame and it’s main innovation. It’s quite impressive, especially for a early PS4 game and a cross gen title to boot. Although I do hear that the PS3 version was nerfed with regard to the Nemesis system not working the same. Basically the Nemesis system involves the orcs each having unique personal traits and depending how they perform in battle against you can be promoted to captains within their ranks, often gaining extra skills that you’ll have to deal with if you fight them later. Not only that, if you injure them in battle but don’t kill them they will hunt you down throughout your playthrough until you defeat them. And each successful encounter they have with you they can become stronger and then harder to kill the next time. There are secret strengths and weaknesses for these higher level / mini-boss captains (for example they may be immune to certain attacks that you would try in them) and if you can gain intelligence through interrogation of another orc about the captain then you will have a leg up when you do encounter it. There were a couple times when I had a nemesis orc captain that escaped a couple times during a conflict, only to grow stronger and gain immunity to a couple of my favorite attacks and they became pretty hard to kill; and you’re being forced to use one of your lesser utilized skills to bring them down sometimes. But for the most part the difficulty is not nearly on par with a Soulsborne game as your skills and abilities become pretty overpowering most of the time. The sheer number of enemies in a conflict can be a challenge though when you’re trying to target the leader who is more powerful and will often run away while you’re busy and then, he grows stronger in the process by virtue of his survival of the conflict.
Furthermore, you do gain the ability to brand orcs to turn to your cause and create havoc within enemy ranks.

The Nemesis system is pretty impressive, especially for the time the game came out. I was amazed at how many unique orc character models, voices, and personalities there were. There are many, many orcs that are just fodder to slay, but through playing through the game once, I seem to remember that I had to deal with dozens of the captains and they were remarkably each unique and not as “cut and paste” as you would have expected for the sheer number of enemies the game has. Impressive stuff.

Visually, the game is decent, the world of Mordor is incredibly bland, as you might expect, which fits the source material well but makes for a less interesting game setting. The orcs are well done artistically, and the hero Talion is ... okay. I didn’t love him, nor did I dislike him. Other characters were also largely forgettable compared to the people and lore of the books and movies.

Shadow of War is supposed to be even better by all accounts. I never played it, but have come close to getting it because it’s been dirt cheap for a while now. Unfortunately, as you might recall, the game’s release was marred by microtransaction controversy and so I think it drastically underperformed. At the time, many games were trying to tap into the MT craze and SoW was caught in the crossfire of the backlash. Apparently the MT are not essential to the experience and can be perfectly ignored and the game still be enjoyed fully, but I can’t speak from hands on experience. I think the story is better in SoW (the story of the first game is a bit “meh” but not bad) and the game is a little bigger. The Nemesis orc system is still at its core though, I believe, and the combat is still the Arkham style.

Overall, if you’re really into LotR right now (and from seeing your posts on the ‘Books you’re reading’ thread you certainly seem to be) then I think it’s worth a go at the games. I’ve no idea if jumping straight over to the better Shadow of War is advisable because it is a follow up to the first game story-wise, but I would guess that it would be better to start with the first game if you’re the type of person who likes to follow the story aspects of games. Just don’t expect narrative quality on par with the original Tolkien storyline. I bet you could pick up both games for under $20 and you’d have probably on the order of 50-60 hours of Orc killing goodness to pass your time with between novels. 😀
(Sorry about the long post 😛)

@RogerRoger. A bit late to the party here, but I really do think you’ll like Marvel’s Spider-Man given you have enjoyed the Batman Arkham games. As others have said, I’m certainly more into Marvel than the average Joe, but I didn’t really know a lot of the characters in the universe outside of Peter, MJ, Aunt May, and a few of the villians, and it didn’t taint my enjoyment of the game, even if it delves into the comic book lore a bit heavily on rare occasion as a bit of fan service to the few who might pick up on something. I think you’d be fine learning some of the lesser known characters with the rest of us. Like has been said, your recent movie viewing will probably help some. I think it’s well said that the sequel will be a big outing on PS5, so that’s another reason to try it out. I can’t wait to hear how it goes for you, should you decide to play it. 😃

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Yeah, the first game was pretty great and the nemesis system is really unique. It can probably be picked up for next to nothing now.

I didn’t play the second game as it was one of the main culprits for loot boxes and micro transactions. That’s all been dropped now but it’s still left a sour taste in my mouth. Plus, there was a lot focused on building your own army and recruiting orcs (where the pay to win aspect came in) which sounded a chore and especially if you wanted to hit the “true” ending.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder @mookysam @Th3solution Much obliged, folks (and no worries about being late to the party; it never stops with me, as this hideously cheesy comment demonstrates). With your endorsements joining the others in universal encouragement, I'm even more relieved, given that its Game of the Year Edition is currently downloading itself onto my PS4. I'll use The Last Guardian to separate it from my current open-world sandbox Photo Mode extravaganza, Horizon: Zero Dawn, so should be booting it up within four to six weeks, I'd guess.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Excellent news sir! I look forward to reading your thoughts on the game and the inevitable grabs from it also.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Thrillho

@KratosMD I hope you didn’t pick up the Bioshock Collection already! (unless you don’t have PS+ anyway..)

Thrillho

ZeroOverOne

Guys, so Bioshock Collection will be free for PS Plus owners so I’m not sure if I should ask this here but, Considering I am the biggest scary cat of all time (Jump scares and Scary atmosphere are not my thing), but I somehow managed to play thru 4 hours of RE2 and drop it after another encounter with Mr.X. So the question is should I play any of the Bioshock games if I am very easy to scare?

Edited on by ZeroOverOne

ZeroOverOne

Tjuz

@ZeroOverOne BioShock definitely has a very unsettling atmosphere. It took me about three times to really get into it and make myself keep going. Eventually you will get used to it, but there will be some tense moments throughout.

BioShock Infinite however, is not scary at all. It's a completely different setting with entirely different characters, and it's all a lot more bright and pretty. Still atmospheric with many darker themes throughout, but nothing that could really unsettle you or scare you. It's also easily the best game in the franchise in my humble opinion. If you try out the first BioShock and find out that maybe it is too scary for you, I'd still recommend you try Infinite since it's a totally different experience!

Tjuz

mookysam

@ZeroOverOne The first BioShock is quite creepy and unsettling. There's a bit in the opening involving a pram that almost made me s**t myself and the section that @KratosMD mentioned is definitely the biggest jump scare in the game (though there are a few like it). Overall though it's such a great game. I'm a wuss and didn't find it as bad as something like Resident Evil or Dead Space. I'd very much recommend all the BioShock games.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

ZeroOverOne

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! Will play thru (at Least try to) on the first day it’s gonna be plus, will tell how I feel about it somewhere. Thanks again @Tjuz @Thrillho @mookysam and @KratosMD!

Edited on by ZeroOverOne

ZeroOverOne

Th3solution

I’m steeped in Jedi Fallen Order at the moment, but due to PS Plus news and on the subject of Bioshock... (and I agree with what has been said, @ZeroOverOne , as I am not really a fan of horror games and I quite enjoyed the tense / dark setting of the first Bioshock. Rapture and how you get there is actually one of the most memorable settings and opening sequences in the PS3 era, imo. I’d say chances are if you play the opening hour or so, you’ll be hooked and the rare jump scare moments won’t be bothersome. And Bioshock Infinite is really an easy recommendation like has been said since there’s not dark and scary moments at all, that I remember)... but anyways, I was curious about my own situation and I posed the question in the main site article but it’s pretty well buried in the comments:
I played BioShock 1 and really liked it, I played BioShock Infinite and absolutely loved it (one of my top 20 of all time, probably) I never played BioShock 2, since most of the feedback was mixed and “so-so” on it and Ken Levine didn’t direct it and had limited input, so I got the feeling that creatively it was its own thing. Also, criminally, I never played the Burial at Sea DLC for Infinite, since I’m just not typically a “DLC” kind of person. Also, as I’ve said in these forums in the past, I typically don’t replay games, as a rule, preferring to have new experiences with my limited time - even if I thoroughly enjoyed the first playthrough. Consider too that it has been 5 years or so since I played BS and BSI on PS3, so memories are a teeny bit fuzzy as to the narrative and gameplay details.

So the question is whether to:
A) play BioShock 2
B) play Burial at Sea
C) replay BioShock 1
D) replay BioShock Infinite
E) do A, then B
F) do B, then A
G) do D, then B
H) do C, then A, then D, then B
I) None of the above. Play Death Stranding next.
J) Join a cult and move off the grid. Video games are clearly destroying my brain cells.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution
H! Do it!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Tjuz

@Th3solution Since you say you don't normally replay games as a rule, it probably won't be worth trying to replay either 1 or Infinite. I'd say F! You can finally play Burial at Sea (which I also have yet to do), and if you're still longing for more BioShock after that you can always try 2.

Tjuz

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON Alright, one vote for the BioShock combo meal — some of everything. Not sure my stomach can tolerate that much BioShock, but duly noted.

@Tjuz F) was my initial plan as well, as I’m champing at the bit to see what all the fuss is about with regards to the DLC. My hesitation is that full appreciation might depend upon remembering the details of the storyline. I know there is parts of the DLC that go back to Rapture and Elizabeth is a main character in the DLC. As mind blowing and complex as the narrative is in these games, I wonder if I’ll feel lost by jumping straight into the DLC.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution J gets my vote.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I vote for Option K.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic