Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,181 to 1,200 of 2,111

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I apologize for saying some of this again, but since @KratosMD is considering the series it bears repeating — I played Inquisition without having played DA2 and I felt it was fine, but you’re right, I did a lot of shrugging and just going on without a full understanding of some of the characters and world. The few characters that return from previous games were all new to me, so I had no emotional investment in them. Perhaps that’s why I never finished it. I’ve always attributed my running out of steam for the game to its somewhat long-windedness, large number of diversionary side activities and areas to explore that bogged me down, and the relatively cumbersome constant menu checking and shuffling around of equipment for my party. I think I burned myself out by not being more focused in my playthrough. I explored every map fully and constantly focused on my equipment and I think this led to my undoing. In my wandering about, I eventually ran into a dragon that I couldn’t defeat despite shuffling multiple parties and using various tactics and equipment and I grew frustrated; I think that was the final straw for my losing interest (despite the fact that there were tons of open quests and areas I could have gone to level up and come back to that stupid dragon, which was a completely optional boss in the first place and separate from the main story). But perhaps if I had a little more investment in the characters and seeing the lore of the world play out, then I would have pushed through.
I played the first few hours of DA: Origins and never really clicked with it, so Inquisition was definitely my first real time in the world. DA : Origins is definitely less refined in the gameplay and combat department, so it may be off-putting for someone new to it. But if you enjoy older games and don’t mind a little jankiness, then you’ll likely be okay.
That all said, I really enjoyed the 50-60 ish hours I spent with Inquisition and have oft felt the need to return to it. I think I said this before as well, but I might have played it a little too close to Skyrim and Dragon’s Dogma too and that could have cause the burn-out (no pun intended) with dragon over-saturation.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution No apology necessary, it's always worth hearing from the perspective of somebody who more accurately reflects the question in hand. Inquisition is a tricky game to "play right" and I'm grateful I had a friend watching my progress, basically yelling "Get out of the Hinterlands!" every ten minutes because otherwise, like you, my map-clearing OCD would've seen me still wandering that first map to this day. It's great that the fiddly stuff (loadout tweaking, stat-checking, etc.) is there for hardcore RPG fans, but it's much more rewarding for the likes of you and I with a brisk focus on story and the occasional "guess I'll tidy up the quest menu a bit" couple hours to break things up (which so often descends into fleeing from overpowered dragons, yes!).

Using an example @KratosMD and I were recently discussing, I think the Dragon Age games sit in a happy middle ground between Final Fantasy (totally separate storylines and characters every time) and an involved, ongoing storyline like Trials of Cold Steel. Each installment of the trilogy is separate-ish, with a new protagonist and core narrative (crucially featuring a satisfying-enough beginning, middle and end) but the callbacks, references, fan service and recurring characters make it all feel neatly interconnected at the same time.

Bottom line is, there's enough to love in each game for them to be taken standalone, but if you're a lore buff who loves immersion then I'd always play as much of it as possible, in sequence.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

DonJorginho

I actually have Dragon Age Inquisition downloaded on my PS4 and untouched, hmm.....

DonJorginho

JohnnyShoulder

Not once when I was playing Inquisition did I think I was missing anything from the previous games. As far as I know the story is pretty much self contained and there are only a few characters that pop up in the previous games. So it would be like oh thats whats his face from the previous game. And then you move on with the rest of the game.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@KratosMD BTW, you can play PS3 with a Dualshock 4. I do prefer the controller and can never bloody find a charger for it so if I’m playing old Gran Turismo or last gen games I’ll reach for the DS4 before the DS3.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@KratosMD I forgot about that, yeah. Some games I don’t even understand why, like the old Tiger Woods games. I can’t even play an actual good golf game since they royally screwed up the franchise.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@KratosMD From that list, I played Bioshock Infinite on PS3 and the Collection on PS4. A part from looking a tad prettier, I can’t say it was a wildly different experience but the Burial at Sea DLC is fantastic.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I don't have an answer for you as i tend not to double dip on games. Darks Souls remastered is the exception as I'd never finished it and had played all the other games in the series.

But I totally get where you are coming from. When I bought my ps4 I still had my 360, I hated using it as it felt so sluggish to use compared to my ps4. No wonder some are so keen on backwards compatibility for PS5 lol.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Genrou

The only game on your list that I played a last ten version of and a current version of is Sleeping Dogs. I rented the 360 version from Gamefly enjoyed it and beat it. I never owned it though so when I saw it cheap on a PSN sale I snagged it as I wanted to play it again. Of course it's going to look better on PS4/Xbox One but that's a given.

My suggestion would be if you rather play it on PS4 then get it on that console. Trade in (if you can) the PS3/Xbox 360 version towards the new gen version if you prefer that one.

Genrou

mookysam

@KratosMD Of those I've only played The BioShock Collection and I played all of the original versions on the Xbox 360. The first two are good upgrades both visually and in terms of increased framerate, which makes a big difference as they play considerably smoother. Some people aren't keen on the visual changes to the water and some of the textures, but I think they look good.

BioShock Infinite is a decent upgrade visually - though nowhere near as pronounced as the other two (to be expected as it is more recent). The framerate is also increased, which brings rhe same benefits as 1 & 2, but there is a streaming issue carried over from the original PC release which causes the game to stutter a little. Oddly I found this decreased somewhat after I replaced the hard drive. Anyway, if you haven't yet got Burial at Sea, it's well worth getting the Collection.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Genrou

@KratosMD I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs alot, I can't compare it to Saints Row IV as I never played it but I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs even more then GTA V. The story and the interactive backgrounds that you can use in fights was brilliant. It's just a shame the sequel was cancelled

Genrou

RogerRoger

@KratosMD I never played them on PS3, but have played both L.A. Noire Remastered and Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. For the latter, I'll support the praise @Genrou gives it and confirm that it plays smooth, feels solid and has plenty of content. As for the former, I wanted to play it back on PS3 but kept hearing horror stories about how its fancy face technology melted consoles (literally, the cable connections at the back of Slim and Super-Slim PS3s would fuse) so when it came to PS4, I was so relieved. Plays brilliantly, barely any glitches or bugs.

So I apologise for being unable to answer your question directly, but hope the above helps.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Well, I'm both glad and sorry for lucking out with that random aside about overheating; glad that you know and will avoid damaging your (ageing, difficult to replace) console, but sorry that I've been the bearer of news that's subsequently ticked you off.

Now that you mention it, yeah, it did take a while to install L.A. Noire on PS4. It's definitely the least-worst option if you really, really wanna play the game (and if you're looking for the opinion of this passer-by, I had fun with it, and some parts were kinda memorable, but I'd stretch to give it an eight). Just have something else to do between sticking the disc in and wanting to play it. You can't go wrong with Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition though, as you say, so that'll likely scratch your current itch. Hope you enjoy!

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@KratosMD I forgot to mention something strange regarding The BioShock Collection. At the time I initially played it (so it may have been patched since, I'm not entirely sure) 1 & 2 shared a pool of finite save slots. When I started BioShock 2 it wouldn't let me save my progress because the slots had been filled by BioShock 1 saves that couldn't be overwritten. So I had to leave the game, delete some saves and then start 2 again from the beginning. Just a heads up, so be sure to leave a few empty slots before you start BioShock 2!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Th3solution

@mookysam Wow, that’s a pretty weird design flaw for the Bioshock save files. I’ve not heard of that happening with other collections before.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

I was grateful when a couple folks gave their impressions of Marvel's Spider-Man back at launch but, having just watched and loved Into the Spider-Verse, I was wondering if anybody could help me make a decision about whether to take the PS4 plunge or not?

Specifically, as somebody with only a passing knowledge of Spidey and his rogue's gallery (I can put names to faces, but that's about it) is the lore entry-level stuff, or do I need to know more depth?

Let's be honest, there were plenty of characters who popped up across all five Batman: Arkham games who made me pause and reach for Wikipedia, so I don't mind being in over my head to a certain degree, but I equally don't wanna feel like I'm being excluded the entire time. I know that some of the DLC suits have gotten a little comic-specific and geeky, and that's fine on an Easter Egg kinda level, but do all the major players come with fleshed-out backstories and introductions?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger I only know Spidey through the Maguire and a few of the more recent films and had no problem with “lore/canon” for the game. In some ways it made it more fun not knowing who some characters are!

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Thrillho @KratosMD Hmm. Okay, thanks! I don't mind a bit of post-game analysis to help fill in some of the blanks, but it certainly sounds like a worthwhile undertaking from what you're saying.

It's gonna take me a while to clear my Horizon replay, but I'll check the PS Store for current prices.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Definitely get Spider-Man. It sits squarely with Spiderverse in it's glorification of Spider-Man-ness.
There are also few things quite as zen as nailing the traversal and just having a lovely time swinging about.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Black_Swordsman

Would anyone recommend the Middle Earth games? I come from a Dark Souls/Bloodborne background and really enjoyed the fantasy setting. Would you say that these games are good too? I know the combat is meant to be more similar to the Arkham games, not particularly challenging, but are they still worth playing and is there a wide variety of weapons/armour available?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic