Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 901 to 920 of 1,795

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Ah yes, I've had that issue many times, and I've usually got more than enough space. Normally only with games which have an online component. Not had it recently as I don't play too many of those games and I keep most of games on my external hdd.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@RogerRoger When I read the first part of your comment, my initial thoughts that briefly flashed were: “Oh no! We’ve drastically mislead Rog! He started Spider-Man and hated it so much that he deleted it off his console in a fit of rage!” 😂. Then I read the second half of the sentence and understood. Besides I can’t see you being so livid at such a thing, so not sure why that thought came, lol.

But yeah, an external HDD does wonders to avoid this, although I think even then, I’ve also had to do this once or twice - remove something so that something else could download. There seems to be a lot of nebulous unused space that is unavailable for storage, yet is needed for background “stuff.”
That’s my technical term for what the machine does — “stuff.”

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

redd214

Yeah the "free space" thing is pretty annoying. The external hdd I had connected to our Slim just crapped out so I've been dealing with that too. Holding off on getting another until we get some ps5 details but it is quite frustrating when it says you have the ample amount of free space but it's somehow not enough.

redd214

Thrillho

Like I always say, I just delete games when I’m done with them. I think the only times I have reinstalled games were to play The Witcher DLC and to get the gang back together on GTA: Online.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho Yup do that, but when you've got prolly 100 games yet to play or unfinished, space does become a problem.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder @Th3solution @redd214 Glad it's not just me, although this is the first time I've ever had to delete something to solve the issue (it's happened once before, but that's because Battlefront II and Hitman 2 had updates at the same time, and both games are well over 100Gb in size). I usually try and keep a healthy chunk of HDD space free anyway, for the sake of all that background technical "stuff" (good term) but I guess this is the inevitable outcome of perpetually-updated, ongoing service-based gaming.

@Thrillho My problem is, not only am I a serial replayer, I've actually got a lot of "will get around to that someday" unfinished tasks in some large games I just can't bring myself to delete yet, such as Mass Effect Andromeda and Just Cause 4. It also took far too much fiddling to download all 26 separate pieces of DLC for Batman: Arkham Knight, so there's no way in heck I'm ever doing that again.

Th3solution wrote:

When I read the first part of your comment, my initial thoughts that briefly flashed were: “Oh no! We’ve drastically mislead Rog! He started Spider-Man and hated it so much that he deleted it off his console in a fit of rage!” 😂. Then I read the second half of the sentence and understood. Besides I can’t see you being so livid at such a thing, so not sure why that thought came, lol.

You wouldn't like me when I'm angr... wait, wrong Avenger. I'm such a Marvel noob!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

On the subject of PS4 tech —

As we approach the end of a 7 year generation, and after reading some recent articles and comments, I was wondering which games on the PS4 are the most impressive feats of programming on the console? What game or games are you most impressed were able to be squeezed into the PS4 tech?

Part of this question is prompted by some discussions of games getting Switch ports and to what degree they are nerfed, a la Witcher 3, etc. And part of it is prompted by the delay of some of the big games, namely Cyberpunk, because of the unacceptable performance on the base consoles. Either way, it just got me thinking... which I’m prone to do from time to time.

I think we can all assume the last hurrah for the PS4 is likely to have the most impressive optimization of the PS4 technology. So Cyberpunk, The Last of Us 2, and Ghost of Tsushima will be certainly top billing for the “Best use of PS4 technology” award, but of the games we have already seen over the last 7 years, which impressed you most? Not as far as being a favorite game, per se, but being a technical marvel?

I think I’d have to go with Red Dead Redemption 2. The graphics are outstanding, the world is interactive on a level that I’ve never seen before, the AI is impressive, the maps are huge, the story is really long (and seems to never end), and it’s buffed to a sparkly sheen of polish in general, with no major bugs or glitches that I remember experiencing.

A second thought, although I haven’t played it yet, would be Dreams. Just seeing what that game can accomplish is very impressive. It looks like some very sophisticated and adept programming from a very talented team. The fact the PS4 can do the things it claims to do is quite amazing.

Another one I haven’t played yet but comes to mind is Assassins Creed Odyssey, just because I hear about the sheer enormity of the game.

Thoughts?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I've said this recently in other topics but, despite having played it several years ago, I'm constantly left grinning and shaking my head whenever I boot up Horizon: Zero Dawn and gaze out across whatever picturesque landscape I'd saved and quit in front of. It's painfully gorgeous, and the fact that there's never a framerate hitch or texture pop-in (something other, far less detailed games can't even manage) reinforces its impressive achievement.

Something tells me Ghost of Tsushima is gonna pinch its crown, though.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

redd214

@RogerRoger I'm right there with you. Though games like God of War and RDR2 were close, I do think Horizon is the most visually impressive game on the ps4. Downright gorgeous with HDR turned on!

redd214

RogerRoger

@redd214 Part of me wishes I could just randomly boot up either God of War or Red Dead 2 and pan the camera out of comparative curiosity, but I'm glad to hear that, at least from your perspective, I'm able to enjoy the current pack leader!

Making It So Since 1987

redd214

@RogerRoger I've actually done that with GOW and Horizon. In our gaming room we have 2 4k/HDR tvs and 2 ps4s. Looking at them side by side obviously GOW looks terrific in its own right but Horizon is just another level, at least to me.

redd214

Octane

Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I'm not the biggest fan of the lighting in HZD. Especially at night, it's looks pretty bad. It's all a weird green. I don't understand why I can't just look like nighttime.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane You're right, it is very green! As this #NoFilter capture shows...

Untitled

The daytime lighting more than makes up for it, but each to their own. I'm forever tweaking the filters or changing the time of day if I'm using Photo Mode at night.

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger Yeah, it makes it seem as if I'm always watching the game with night vision goggles on during nighttime. Don't like it!

Daytime is fine though.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane It's the crossover with Call of Duty we never knew we wanted.

Making It So Since 1987

DonJorginho

Have decided I will be purchasing a PS4 Pro this month, with games being more power hungry than ever and chances of PS5 production being delayed due to the horrific Corona Virus, I can see the PS5 being pushed back entirely or very hard to get so will get a PS4 Pro to bridge the gap and make the most out of my 4K TV.

Am I making the right choice?

DonJorginho

nessisonett

@DonJorginho I bought a Pro start of the year and don’t regret it. There’s a whole lot of great games coming out this year that I’m not sure will run well on base PS4 so it’ll help get the most out of the last year of the generation. Plus, you might not upgrade immediately.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

DonJorginho

@nessisonett Exactly my thinking, games like Cyberpunk, Ghost Of Tsushima come to mind.

I can either get a Modern Warfare bundle for £329 or a RDR 2 bundle for £299, what do I go for?

DonJorginho

nessisonett

@DonJorginho If you don’t already own RDR2 then get that bundle. I got the white console with MW because I already owned Red Dead.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

DonJorginho

@nessisonett Yeah I already own it so will likely go for the MW bundle, how is it sound wise as my Slim is dead silent.

DonJorginho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic