Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 1,261 to 1,280 of 1,795

ApostateMage

Just bought myself a nice new 4k TV ready for PS5 and Cyberpunk 2077. It's happening.

ApostateMage

RogerRoger

@Octane Wow, that's out already? I had no idea. Hope it turns out to be fun; would certainly be interested in any impressions you might be willing to share.

@ApostateMage Sweet! What size screen did you go for?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ApostateMage

@RogerRoger Only a 49 incher but it is a whopping 7 inches bigger than my current 1080p tele.

ApostateMage

MightyDemon82

My Nephew turns 6 next week and he wants a PS4 and Spider-man for his birthday, I've lost one nephew to fortnite and fifa, but there is still hope for his little brother. I got him Dragon Quest Builders 2, Rayman Legends and Ratchet & Clank so those games should keep him entertained and help with his reading, especially DQB2. I downloaded the demo and will probably get it for myself😂.

Edited on by MightyDemon82

MightyDemon82

Octane

@RogerRoger Yeah, it was one of the rumoured shadow drops for Gamescom, but then everyone forget about it it seems lol.

Anyway, it's decent so far. There's an annoying narrator throughout the game, and I wish there was an option to turn it off. The puzzles are fun at least, but I'm hoping they get more difficult as the game progresses.

Octane

RogerRoger

@ApostateMage Wish I could go that big (...steady). The layout of my room tends to mean anything over 42" would be overwhelming, but I've been thinking about moving some furniture around. I'll probably have to anyway, in order to make space for the PS5, since it looks to be a beast. Enjoy the upgrade!

@Octane Yes, myself included. I'm glad you're enjoying it thusfar, minor points aside. I predict a much-demanded "deactivate the narrator" patch in its future!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Rather bizarrely, Final Fantasy XIV is having a Yo-Kai Watch crossover. They’ve done ones with games like Nier and stuff but this is extremely strange!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula Sony have finally taken revenge on you for not liking the majority of their own games this gen. 🤣

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Arugula The other day, I was browsing through a friend's profile, looking at the games they'd played. When I reached games I'd also played, I had trophy comparison turned on, but my trophies weren't displayed and PSN was actively telling me that I didn't have any trophies for said game. This happened three or four times before I got nervous and went to check my trophies at the source, but they were all still there.

The logging in and out thing is new, and I hope it doesn't disrupt your gaming too much, but trophies have been weird all year for me. Might be a PSN thing.

Making It So Since 1987

Anti-Matter

Woah!
I haven't played my PS4 games since 2 months ago after i got Animal Crossing New Horizons on 27 June 2020.
My PS4 games purchase recently are Autobahn Police Simulator 2 and The Sims 4 Island Living Bundle but i only played them very quick just to test the game.
My hype currently still on Animal Crossing New Horizons.

Anti-Matter

JohnnyShoulder

@EBAYLISTING Which is considered spam on this forum and against the rules. Plus you have repeatedly posted the same thing across the forum which is also considered spamming. The cool thing to do is just post it in the PS Vita section and be done with it.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

Here’s a general question for you all —
How do you feel about fast travel in your games?

I was thinking about it since they discussed it on Sacred Symbols and as I’m currently playing through Ghost of Tsushima I think it’s an interesting conundrum.

In GoT, admittedly the fast travel is very convenient, not only because the load times are very fast, so that’s not a disincentive as it is in some big open world games. And you can initiate fast travel from anywhere on the map and there are tons of fast travel destinations so you’re likely to have one close to your desired destination. Problem is that the fast travel ability is a bit of a immersion breaker. In a game as beautiful and realistically rendered and conceived as this, it seems a little out of place in principle.

In Spider-Man, the fast travel was rarely used by most people because traversal was so enjoyable and honestly just part of the experience. However, at least the idea of Spidey using the subway was at least consistent narratively. Yet, with the added travel screen and load times and more limited points of entry and exit, it just wasn’t convenient enough to use regularly.

Death Stranding struck a nice balance with its somewhat gimped system which had both limited starting points and destinations, and times when it couldn’t be used. Again, here it at least made narrative sense to “jump” locations, but I found that the experience of traversing the land was part of the enjoyment, so I didn’t use it much. Not to mention the late game construction items that become available and the copious number of online vehicles hanging around, it’s just easier to use the in-game systems to traverse since you can at least be making deliveries in the process.

So I’m of two minds about fast travel. I really like the convenience of it and I am definitely grateful for it in GoT. But in a way it feels like cheating the experience a little.

What do you think? Are there games you think fast travel was done well, or those where it was implemented poorly? Or games that didn’t have it that you wish did have it?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution I made a concerted effort to never use fast travel in Watch Dogs 2 and I think the game was better for it. The map was really great and the multiplayer events being random meant that you were never just driving from point A to point B. There were loads of hidden things around the map as well so you could stop on the way. Some games like Horizon I’d use it because I just found traversal rather dull in that game. It depends on the situation.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@Th3solution I try to use it as little as possible but there’s only so much time I have to traipse across gameworlds.

Some games like Witcher 3 and RDR2 I rarely did as there is so much going on in the world and you never know when you might stumble on a mission or event. Spiderman was fun to get around so I rarely used it.

But games like Fallout, you know that you’ve found the map points when you’ve already been through an area and it all looks so similar. Plus, stumbling on a Deathclaw, getting killed, and losing a few hours game time is not fun.

Dragon’s Dogma was ridiculous in that fast travel was limited to using a quite rare item and you spend so much time running between two areas on the map. Trudging for the sake of trudging is no fun.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I think it's a personal enjoyment question. It's cool to see Ness had the option to fast-travel between campfires in Horizon but, unless the place I needed to be was literally on the opposite side of the map, I'd always call Aloy a mount and trot on over in real-time, spamming Photo Mode along the way. I think that's the point you're making about Spider-Man, and it can be applied to any game.

It also depends on what I'm up to. During the events of Arkham Origins, you're encouraged to clear jamming towers so that Batman can use the Batwing to fast-travel, but I never bothered because you'd get unique radio calls and objective prompts between certain story beats, and I didn't wanna miss 'em. Once the credits had rolled, and I was on collectible clean-up duty? You bet I spammed the heck out of the Batwing, loading screens be damned, because it wasn't an interactive story any longer. It was just a cool map with things to do scattered about, so preserving immersion wasn't as crucial.

Making It So Since 1987

AdamNovice

I don't suppose any of you guys know someone on PlayStation who goes by the name Legendary_Looker do you? The guy has been harassing me on the friend requests, just because of the things I said about Xbox.

Edited on by AdamNovice

AdamNovice

Twitter:

Th3solution

@nessisonett Yeah, I do think that the map can really have a lot to do with whether fast travel is useful/necessary

@Thrillho I was the same with RDR2. That open world was teeming with random events that it was better to just ride your horse and mosey along the old fashioned way so as not to miss anything.
It’s been a while since I played Dragons Dogma, and I don’t remember the fast travel system. But yes, I do very much dislike it when games have the consumable item that you have to use to fast travel or warp to the exit of a dungeon, etc. I always end up hoarding those items, especially if they’re rare, because I’m obsessive like that. Then I end up grumbling and complaining about how long it takes to travel somewhere or get to a save point in a dungeon rather than to use my stash.

@RogerRoger I agree — I end up really abusing the fast travel system in a game during the mop-up phase at the end.

And speaking of photo mode... With Ghost of Tsushima I think I’ve easily set my personal record for photos taken in a game. You know how I usually forget to stop and take time to capture pictures but it is so natural in this game. Around every corner is a new picturesque scene and I can’t help but snap a shot. And I haven’t even delved much into all the photo mode settings and modifications. I just frame a pretty scene and screenshot it. I think you’d adore the game for that part alone. As far as wandering the countryside chasing icons goes, taking pictures on the way really makes the trip worthwhile.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@AdamNovice No idea who that is. If he/she is harassing you, I’d reckon they aren’t one of the PushSquare regulars, although you never know. I guess blocking him/her would be the best course of action.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic