Forums

Topic: Pushsquare Screenshot of the year 2019

Posts 261 to 280 of 307

RogerRoger

Huge thanks to every single person who entered; you guys all posted incredible shots, and made the competition incredibly difficult to judge!

Of course, the biggest congratulations go to our winners, though! Very well done!

I'd also like to thank @themcnoisy for organising another cracking PushSquare contest, and for inviting me to be a judge alongside himself and @Neolit (who set such a fantastic tone overseeing last year's proceedings, helping me to appreciate screenshots a lot deeper than just "Ooh, pretty colours!"). I hope I did them both justice.

As promised, I'll post up the reasoning behind my four nominated screenshots in the coming days.

For now, though, just enjoy the shots!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

Well done for everyone involved and to @Thrillho for being the winner! Congrats!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KALofKRYPTON

Sweet! Congratulations @Thrillho!

Thanks and well done again to the judges and everyone who voted!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Not too shabby, 4th! 😀

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

AdamNovice

@KalofKrypton WipEout picture was my personal favourite and not surprised it finished in the top 3. I chose it cos I felt it looked one of the trickier screenshots to get.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

HallowMoonshadow

-Blinks repeatedly- fourth?! Holy heck that's amazing! I was just hoping for not being last! 😅

And yeah my pic title "Lens Flare to Make JJ Abrams Jealous" is dumb as rocks... I couldn't think of an artsy name like everyone else.

The only thing I could think of concerning lens flare was people saying about Abrams' love of the effect in the rebooty Trek film he directed and such... So... There ya go 😂

Congrats of course to the winner @Thrillho! It's a great shot. I think you used that in your review for Hellblade if i'm remembering correctly?

I did say your picture was good @KALofKRYPTON!

Ya did great screenshot king of 2018 @Gremio108! 😁

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

KALofKRYPTON

@AdamNovice Thank you. It wasn't too hard to get - quite fun really and it resulted in me getting a bunch of other nice shots.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Gremio108

@Thrillho Congratulations mate, that picture is unbelieveable and it makes me want to go out and buy Hellblade immediately. It could honestly be the cover image for the game.

@KALofKRYPTON That picture is awesome as well, I genuinely don't know how you did it. It shows how far photo modes have come in the last few years, and what can be done with them in talented hands

Well done to everyone who entered and major thanks to the trio of judges for organising it. I'm loving how much of a Christmas tradition this contest is becoming.

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks! I'm happy with third - I was hoping one of my pics would place but at the same time it would have been too weird to win it again! It was a rollercoaster of emotions!

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

themcnoisy

@get2sammyb @Quintumply @antdickens @ShogunRok @LiamCroft check out the winners in comment comment #283

Thank you so much for pushing traffic towards the competition. Everyone gets passionate about it and it's both fun and interesting. Met a load of new Pushsquare users to boot as well. If you could post the top 5/6 in an article it would make all of our Christmases.

Especially @Thrillho the overall winner. @KALofKRYPTON in second and @Gremio108 in third. Crazy how close this was in the public vote. Big props to all entrants you made this thread a success.

Merry Christmas one and all.

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

NYJetsfan123

Congratulations to the winner! I was surprised to make top 12, nevermind sharing the 6th place spot! That was fun and inspired me to play with photo mode more often from here on out. Big thanks to the 3 judges for putting this together for us!

Edited on by NYJetsfan123

NYJetsfan123

Jaz007

@KALofKRYPTON Where did you even take that picture? It’s awesome, but leaves me scratching my head as to how.

Jaz007

Kidfried

@KALofKRYPTON I'll add you! Congrats on getting so many points by the way.

@themcnoisy Sorry for the last minute stress, but you understood me correctly with the 1 -> 6 points. I hate typing on my phone, so I just hoped this would be clear enough. Well, almost.

Anyway, thanks for organizing this one (together with @Neolit and @RogerRoger). Lovely competition.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

themcnoisy

@WanderingBullet feel free to post your top 5 pics as secret judge!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Thrillho

Wow, that’s a bit of a surprise! Thanks to everyone who voted for my shot. Skimming through votes it was hard to see an obvious winner as the votes were so varied!

Thanks for the folks who put this together and good work to all those who submitted and voted.

@Gremio108 I highly recommend the game and that scene is from one of my favourite boss fights in a while. It might be quite repetitive but atmospherically and emotionally it’s really impressive.

@KALofKRYPTON I still love that shot as it was the most unique of the lot. @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I’m glad my thoughts on your shot matched the title

I look forward to the challengers for my title next year

Thrillho

KALofKRYPTON

Thanks @Kidfried!

@Jaz007 Zone mode on the Syncopia track. The scenery is all organic curves and such.
About a third of the way around, there are a series of descending breaks in the track through a pretty trippy looking cavern, got the shot as the ship was in the air between one of the drops. Racing line had to be dead straight at around zone 40 (I think) and the rest was getting the positioning and camera setting right 😀

Have a look in the screenshots thread, I was doing a run to capture something that looked quite stark, but got a bunch of nice ones along the way.

WanderingBullet

@mcnoisy

Face Your Demons - Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
Slingin’ in the Rain - Uncharted - The Lost Legacy
Ghost Town - Red Dead Redemption 2
A Postcard from Monza - Project Cars 2
Upsidetown - Spider-man

I also like:
Drifter Drifting - Days Gone
Symmetry of Speed - Wipeout: Omega Collection
The Light Side’s Bright, The Light Side’s Orange - Star Wars: The Fallen Order
The image with the forest and hut in it? - Sekiro: Shadow Dies Twice

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

KALofKRYPTON

Here's hoping that the Vanquish re-release has a photo mode! 😲

RogerRoger

@Neolit Thanks for your kind words, fellow judge! Knowing what @themcnoisy chose as his full list, and just reading that @WanderingBullet liked my other shots, I'm feeling quite good about myself regardless (and yeah, it would've felt really awkward posting my own result).

Right, without wanting to take anything away from this year's incredibly well-deserved victor (seriously, what a shot) here's why I chose the four I chose.

1. "Into the Mystic" by @Kidfried
In stories, I love bravery and in art, I love simplicity. This shot captured both; here is a lone hero, atop a camel, riding into a sandstorm. Why isn't he turning back? What could be so important that he's willing to take this unknown risk? What is driving him forward? The framing of him between the bold blocks of colour is spot-on, adding a heavy tilt to signify that this guy's uphill struggle is far from over. I haven't ever played Assassin's Creed: Origins before, but this shot makes me want to. I love it to bits!

2. "Skyline" by @DanM
There's a story about the day George Lucas visited ILM to approve a final rendering of the long, opening tracking shot from Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. Despite having storyboarded it, despite laying it out to everybody and knowing what he was about to watch, its visceral effectiveness still made him feel nauseous. Now, I'm not afraid of heights. I have a strong stomach, and good spatial awareness... and yet, every single time I looked at this shot from Marvel's Spider-Man, my guts rolled over; it has that very same effect. The angles, the framing, everything just works to make you a little bit dizzy. Nicely done!

3. "Symmetry of Speed" by @KALofKRYPTON
Blimey, just look at it. Look at it! Do I really need to explain why I picked this one?!

4. "Lens Flare to Make JJ Abrams Jealous" by @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy
At first glance, this shot just appears to be a mess of beige scenery (albeit very detailed and pretty beige scenery, of course, as this is Horizon: Zero Dawn we're talking about here). A second later, however, you notice the lens flare, the only unnatural intrusion upon this unremarkable landscape. Your eyes follow it across the frame and suddenly... oh. Uh-oh! Photo Mode colour filters have been cleverly balanced to make the Watcher blend into its surroundings, to camouflage a lethal shape which you can't fully identify even at second or third glance, let alone first. It still unnerves me how invisible I find the enemy when looking back at the shot, knowing what's there yet still not being able to immediately see it. And now it's behind me, isn't it? Aah!!

Also special mention to some folks who made my shortlist of twelve. Some of you were picked by others and ranked, but I'm sorry I couldn't put all of you forward, as I loved your shots!

"Chrysler Noir" by @mookysam
"Bridge Battle" by @Thrillho
"Morior Invictus" by @Sam-Bridges
"A View of the Gods" by @ApostateMage
"Snowfall" by @the_pathos
"Joyride" by @Drax-UK
"Peace in the Wild West" by @LukeNI
"I Am Ready" by @BearsEatBeets
"Reconfirm" by @LaJettatura
"Strange New World" by @WanderingBullet

The level of quality just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait to see what next year's competition holds, and I hope you'll all take part when it comes around!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.