Forums

Topic: WE HAVE A WINNER! - The 2022 Screenshot of the Year Competition

Posts 161 to 180 of 183

ApostateMage

Congratulations to @Loyal_Dan. That 'Cyclone' pic was truly a phenomenal shot.
Congratulations to all the finalists too. Absolutely superb pics this year.

ApostateMage

RogerRoger

@JudgeDredd @Gremio108 @the_pathos @ishaajo840 Thanks for mentioning me with specific praise, y'all, I'm very flattered, but it really is a group effort! There'd be no competition without you!

@Quintumply Thanks for your continued support! Means a lot!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Here with the reasoning behind my Dynamic finalist choices, as well as a few honourable mentions.

@evildave333 has been gracing the general screencap topic with plenty of gorgeous Forbidden West shots lately, and I urge you to check 'em all out if you're interested. "Mess Your Thunderpants" edged a finalist slot not simply because of the Thunderjaw's intricate design and perfectly-timed roar, but also because of the extra details going on in the bottom half of the frame; the explosion at the machine's feet, the light flaring from behind its leg, and Aloy in mid-knockback, unable to hold her own against the onslaught. All great things when judging dynamism, I think you'll agree!

Not sure I really need to justify picking "Cyclone" from Horizon Forbidden West, since @Loyal_Dan scored victory with its impressive framing and powerful, foreboding imagery! Absolutely one of those shots that just makes you stop and stare. Funnily enough, I don't even remember noticing that maelstrom whilst playing Forbidden West (or if I did, I didn't pay it much attention, nor think to grab it in any of my own screenshots) but good grief, it's a beautiful bit of design!

@Tomato_Goose provides a masterclass in conveying motion via a still image with "The Chains of Fate" from God of War: Ragnarök and honestly, there's nothing more dynamic than that. I look at that shot and I can hear the chains clanking and feel the shockwaves resonate from Angry McBeardface's mid-whip pose. I also like the fire-and-brimstone setting and how the colour saturation and contrast are perfectly balanced; it could've easily ended up looking all bright and cartoony. I'm no God of War fan, but this was the second time I've promoted a shot from a God of War game in one of these competitions, so there's clearly something special going on!

Screenshots that came so very close to being Dynamic finalists include...

@BearsEatBeets with "Scuba" from Horizon Forbidden West
@Clankylad with "3-2-1- See Ya!" from Grounded
@CuteBoyMnM with "Daughter Vs. Father" from Nioh 2
@CuteBoyMnM with "Nathan Drake: Fightin' Round the World" from Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection
@evildave333 with "Shining Night" from Cyberpunk 2077
@Gremio108 with "A Minor Obstacle" from Demon's Souls
@JudgeDredd with "The Edge" (feat. @render ) from Gran Turismo 7
@KAIRU with "夜遊び" from Gran Turismo 7
@the_pathos with "Grapple" from Horizon Forbidden West
@Th3solution with "Tony Stark is Well-Known For His Punchlines" from Marvel's Avengers

Seriously though, the standard was so high this year. I laughed at all of the Comedic entries and sat staring at some of the Artistic shots for a full minute, just appreciating the talent behind them. Well done to everybody who submitted a shot, no matter the category!

I also picked @Ralizah as the Wild Card, with "Thru Hell" from Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. My friend Emma, who judged the Artistic category, was so torn and badly wanted to include you, and came to me for advice not realising that "Thru Hell" was already at the top of my potential Wild Card shortlist. Such an impressive shot, so layered and textured, with a timeless, classical quality to it. There was no way in heck I was gonna let it slide; it had to be a finalist, which your solid second place proves! Bravo!

The following is posted on behalf my friend Emma, who judged the Artistic submissions.

Over to you, Emma!

Hey everyone!

Third judge Emma here, via RogerRoger who is kindly posting this for me.

Firstly, I'd like to say a huge congratulations to this year's winner, Loyal_Dan! Cyclone is an absolutely beautiful shot! And further congratulations to the nine finalists whose shots were equally as stunning!! And also hilarious in the comedic bunch! All the submissions entered were just brilliant, and oh wow, was it difficult choosing just three to put forward. I echo RogerRoger: If I didn't pick your capture please know it was greatly considered, highly appreciated, and had me drooling over how good they were!

Secondly, here are my thoughts on the three I chose to go forward:

r4r3Un1c0rn's Into the Sunset:

It honestly looks like a still from film! Unbelievable timing on the gallop. It's silhouetting is beautiful, and I love that it's not a total silhouette either. It's enough to stand out entirely but it's details are also visible enough to see the form still. The weather effects give the shot a natural vignette with all the sepia tones blending together towards the sun. The kicked up grass and obscured land formations frame the focal point of the character beautifully. Really perfect composition! You've successfully captured the hero riding off into the sunset. Reminds me a bit of Indiana Jones actually. Thank you for your entries, and a first time one, too! Congratulations on placing joint 3rd, r4r3Un1c0rn!

Kaka's Ancient Canvas:

I've played Assassin's Creed Origins, and I've never seen it look THAT good! It's so realistic I thought it was a photograph and not a photomode capture. I love the spot you've chosen for this shot, a more out of the way location that most players would run by or sail through dozens of times and not notice it the same way you have. The archways under the bridge, the statues above, ancient life carrying on as usual in the background. It's such a calming scene to view. And so well framed by the sides of the architecture. I also love that it's purely focused on the setting instead of having the protagonist in frame. Thank you for your entries and congratulations on placing 5th, Kaka!

Loyal_Dan's Stillness:

And stillness is such a fitting title for your capture. A frozen moment of concentration, that slow intake of a breath before letting loose the arrow. Picking the bow for this snap adds to that overall feeling and without it it would be a different shot entirely. Extreme close-ups are hard to pull off, especially in videogames and this one is just breathtaking! The focus solely on the eye of the marksman, the glittery highlights, the use of depth of field are perfectly done. I also think the choice of black and white filter was extremely wise for this type of shot. It helps you focus on the details, which could be slightly lost in a full colour version. I love the tones! Thank you for your entries and congratulations on this capture placing 4th, Loyal_Dan!

Thirdly, I'd like to add a special mention to the wild card owner Ralizah who was also in my category! Your shot was very close to being in my three and I was so glad you made it into the final ten! Superb capture! It looks like a painting. The tormented mass of souls surrounding Senua are so powerful as she struggles with her balance, both mentally and physically. Expertly taken! Thank you for your entries and congratulations on placing 2nd, Ralizah!

Lastly, a couple of shout-outs to say thank you to you HallowMoonshadow for being the Comedic judge and helping to run this competition smoothly! And thank you for submitting your gorgeous captures from Ghost of Tsushima and Code Vein making my task very difficult!!! They are absolutely beautiful!

And to you as well, BearsEatBeets, I'm sorry you couldn't judge this year. Thank you for your striking submissions, too! I can see why they're your favourites from this year. It was really nice to see Amicia and Hugo featured in the competition, and in such a lovely moment of calm.

Thank you all for allowing an outsider to judge your carefully selected photographs this year! I could make so many lovely comments on them all! I absolutely loved looking at them!

This is Emma, last judge of the competition, signing off...

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

Can I just say — we all need a best friend like Emma. What a champ! 😄 Many thanks for helping and being so engaged with our little community activity!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Loyal_Dan

@Ralizah Whoops, forgot to reply to your previous comment! All I did to capture the shot was rotate the camera sideways. Which meant I had to keep tilting my head while framing it. Now my head is permanently stuck at a 90 degree angle. Then of course I just rotated it again to be vertical on the computer.
I appreciate your kind words!

Loyal_Dan

Loyal_Dan

Thanks everyone! Seriously great shots this year. I didn't think any of mine would even be in the top ten! Also, Emma is awesome.

Edited on by Loyal_Dan

Loyal_Dan

RogerRoger

@evildave333 You weren't (nor are you) out of your depth! Sometimes the overall quality is just that high, but I wouldn't have picked you as a finalist if I didn't think you met that bar!

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@Loyal_Dan Damn, simple yet effective. That's genius, I bet I won't be the only one of us trying that.

Also, you've inspired me to finally play Forbidden West, I'm going to get on it in the new year.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

HallowMoonshadow

Sorry I know I'm rather late getting to the results thanks to the last few days of work being a bit hectic but what a lineup and podium winners were really something.

A well deserved winner of "Cyclone" by @Loyal_Dan !, a fantastic second place of @Ralizah's "Thru Hell" & a worthy joint third with @r4r3Un1c0rn's "Into The Sunset" & @Tomato_Goose's "The Chains Of Fate".

All the finalists were great however! 😄

As the judge of the comedic category I unfortunately had only 9 shots to chose from when picking my top 3 so I'm very sorry if I didn't pick you to go through.

As I said the other day

HallowMoonshadow wrote:

If anyone's curious about my descisions for the Comedic category... There honestly wasn't much too it.

I just took the screenshots and ignoring all tech wizardy, graphical fidelity, witty titles... anything like that in play and just simply picked the ones that amused me most.

Yeah... that's kinda it.

Sorry I can't go all deep and existential on Spider-Man having webs shooting out his butt, An exhuasted Aloy on a treadmill or that Clicker looking like he's having a really bad time

I'm just glad all the shots I picked ended up getting a point or two and weren't COMPLETELY left by the wayside of the utterly fantastic shots from the Dynamic and Artistic categories 😅

Of course there were some great shots from other categories that didn't get through that I'd like to highlight

@evildave333 I alreasy said how I liked your artistic shot of "Peregrine Sunset Isle of Skye" but I don't recall seeing "Angel of Death" before and it's a very eye catching shot too!

@KAIRU 夜遊び (Yoasobi/Nightlife) was an absolute standout and it's a shame it didn't get further.

@nessisonett you know why your Spidey shot got through but it's a darn shame "Purple Rain" didn't get through as well as it's sublime! "The English Riveria" is a very serene and peaceful shot too!

@JudgeDredd I may not've put "Did We Plan For This?" through in the comedic category but I was rooting for "The Edge" as it really was quite stunning!

@ralphdibny unfortunately Into the Abyss didn't get through but I thought both your Mako Madness shots were really something!

@0ld_boy Your entry "Dances With Blade" was a really nice shot!

@Gremio108 All your entries were fantastic but "A Minor Obstacle" was my favourite of the lot and it's a shame it never got through!

@Thrillho both "Hop to It" & "Seeing Red" were utterly fantastic and stunning shots.

@BearsEatBeets I absolutely adored "Scuba". Just amazing.

@Tomato_Goose Whilst "Chains of Fate" was very good I personally found your shot "In the Woods" utterly mesmerising!

@Th3solution it's such a simple shot in practice but I really liked your "Gamorametrical Meditation".

Anyways well done everyone! There were great shots all around!

@RogerRoger thanks for relaying Emma's words and tell her she did a wonderful job with the artistic category! 😄

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Gremio108

@HallowMoonshadow Thanks! I think it sums up quite well the overwhelming, somewhat ridiculous odds we face when we pit ourselves against a Soulsborne game. I took it in early January though, so it always feels like a 2021 screenshot to me anyway! Feels like a lifetime ago in some ways.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Jimmer-jammer

Congratulations to the winner and all other finalists! I’d also like to share in thanking Roger and crew for making it happen. Love to see it!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

RogerRoger

HallowMoonshadow wrote:

@RogerRoger thanks for relaying Emma's words and tell her she did a wonderful job with the artistic category! 😄

Will absolutely do so, and will pass along the kind words from @Th3solution and @Loyal_Dan as well.

Thanks again to you, and to everybody for being super-generous and super-awesome!

Making It So Since 1987

0ld_boy

@HallowMoonshadow
really late but thanks for mentioning my Shot and huge thanks for contributing to this Event. Btw I really liked your Code Vein shots. Almost got me to try it more than once. Everytime it is on Sale I think of how gorgeous and interesting your screenshots looked. Well, maybe next Sale...

0ld_boy

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets Apologies for the even-more-belated response to your response, but no worries, and I'll pass along your message to Emma, too! Thank you!

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger woah what a list of photos. Amazing work. 👏

Sorry for the lack of replies bro I've been mega busy. And you don't have to call it the MC Noisy award (I appreciate the thought man). I'm blushing more than the winner @Loyal_Dan

Anyhow we will be starting game of the 21st century soon Rog. Possibly at the end of the month

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy No apology necessary, buddy! And I'm sorry if naming the award after you is embarrassing in an uncomfortable way. I'll pack it in next time if you'd prefer. Just wanted to honour the legacy!

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger Great competition though. How have you been anyway Rog?

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic