Forums

Topic: WE HAVE A WINNER! - The 2022 Screenshot of the Year Competition

Posts 1 to 20 of 183

RogerRoger

That's a wrap, folks! I wonder how 2023 is gonna shake out...?

@AdamNovice @AFCC @amersga @andreoni79 @AngryChainsaw_ @Anti-Matter @ApostateMage @Arisen @Bamila @BearsEatBeets @Bentleyma @BlockPunch @Blue_Persimmon @BowTiesAreCool @b1ackjack @carlos82 @crimsontadpoles @DanM @Deadlyblack @DerMeister @Drax-UK @Elodin @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @GhostofJettatura @Hispanicguy @hypnotoad @Jackpaza0508 @Gremio108 @ishaajo840 @Iver @Jaz007 @Jimmer-jammer @JohnnyShoulder @Kaka @Keith_Zissou @Kidfried @kreativekontrol @kyleforrester87 @leucocyte @lieutenantfatman @LivewireCLS @Lizergamid @lolwhatno @LukeNI @Mega-Gazz @mookysam @nessisonett @nicc83 @nomither6 @NYJetsfan123 @0ld_boy @Perturbator @Ralizah @ralphdibny @Rudy_Manchego @Ryall @Sam-Bridges @Shigurui @Signosis @Sorteddan @Star-Lord @TheIdleCritic @themcnoisy @themightyant @the_pathos @ThePizzaMule @Th3solution @Thrillho @Throb @Tjuz @Tomato_Goose @TowaHerschel7 @Unreal @velio84 @WanderingBullet @XOF and @zupertramp

Yeah, I know, we just finished the last one... don't panic, submissions aren't open (yet)!

During the course of the last two screenshot competitions, we've had a few requests to shake up the three standard submission categories (Landscape, Character and Action) but I didn't wanna do so without giving you fine folks plenty of notice, otherwise you might spend all year working on stuff that you suddenly find doesn't fit anywhere. So, ahead of Horizon: Forbidden West and the rest of the coming year's Photo Mode fun, I thought I'd let y'all keep these in mind whilst you go about capturing your shots.

Please don't start posting screenshots in this topic! If you do, you'll be jumping the gun by about eleven months! We still don't know what December's submission process is gonna look like. Please also refrain from asking for a pre-emptive opinion on certain shots, as this could be perceived as generating bias.

The new categories for 2022's competition will be as follows.

Untitled

This is a broader replacement for the previous Action category which can cover any shot of any subject, so long as what's in the frame has a dynamic feel to it. Caught a character looking over their shoulder at a cool angle? Managed to capture a bolt of lightning in a thunderstorm? Those kinds of shots could also be considered alongside a bunch of brawls, chases and explosions, so long as they're dynamic.

Untitled

Many of you like getting a bit abstract with objects or environments, as well as character models, and it's about time we had a dedicated category for such shots. Again, this covers multiple pre-existing categories; we could be looking at a monochrome landscape here, or an extreme close-up of a particular protagonist, so don't panic about needing a degree in fine art to submit something to this category! It's all art!

Untitled

Perhaps the most popular request thusfar because hey, we could all use a good laugh in winter, right? Whether you've spent hours mucking about with a Photo Mode's pre-set character poses and facial expressions, or whether you've captured an unfortunate-looking glitch, or maybe even some ragdoll physics gone awry, share it with us in this category and we'll put some of the funniest forward for consideration.

When the time is right, I'll come back here and edit out this preamble with the usual rules and hints, and we'll see what you've all managed to snap! In the meantime, enjoy your Photo Modes!

And apologies if I've missed anybody in that huge tag list up there. Let me know if I have, and I'll add you.

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

I love it @RogerRoger and Im coming for 1st place come December!

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

BAMozzy

I'm sorry I have not actively participated in these screenshot of the year events. I personally have no interest in taking screenshots or any real interest in seeing 100's of them - especially with all the filters and boosts to visual quality photo modes offer etc that make it look like a different game from the one you actually play. Those pin sharp details that you can zoom in on, change the lighting etc may look incredible but also not really representative of the visual experience of playing.

Now I know that's not the point with Photo modes. These are not meant to be 'screenshots' that represent the game but that's the main interest I have in Screenshots. That doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the 'artistic' quality and framing of the scenes but in fairness to everyone, I don't think its fair to contribute or express my opinions about others pictures when I have no interest in making my own pictures and submitting. Therefore, I will 'observe' periodically throughout only and look forward to seeing the 'winning' pics at the end.

Good Luck to all and I look forward to seeing some 'stunning' pictures...

@RogerRoger Good luck and thank you...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy I'd expect nothing less! Bring it, buddy!!

@BAMozzy Absolutely understood, no apology necessary, and thanks for taking the time to explain. It's not for everybody, not least because stopping to take snapshots every thirty seconds can double or triple the length of a game, wrecking its pacing and shattering immersion. That being said, using a Photo Mode is not a participatory prerequisite and so, if you've captured anything in passing which ends up looking real impressive regardless, you're more than welcome to submit it!

Otherwise, if you'd prefer, I can remove your name from the tag list. No worries either way!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Comedic is a great new category, especially with the potential for glitchiness!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

BAMozzy

@RogerRoger To be honest, I don't take screenshots and where I can, I turn off photo-modes so I don't accidentally enter photo-mode - nothing more irritating than going for that 'killer blow' or spectacular leap only for things to suddenly stop and enter a free camera mode. Therefore it seems pointless to keep tagging me. I will of course jump into the threads 'periodically' to have a quick scan, but I don't think its fair I actively participate when I am not willing to contribute.

Once again, thank you for doing this for the community and I do think its a great idea but its something I don't feel I can contribute to on this occasion. Of course, if I change my mind, you'll know... LOL

Good Luck and look forward to seeing the contributions...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

kyleforrester87

Thanks for the heads up, I will try to remember to grab some screenshots this year.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger brilliant idea to add a comedy category. Seems like my MGSV screenshots were just a couple of years too early πŸ˜…

Hopefully I get some funny stuff this year! You never really know if you'll get something though, the best comedy comes naturally!

See ya!

Gremio108

@RogerRoger I'm looking forward to the comedic category already. Plus it'll challenge me to look at using photo modes slightly differently as the months tick by

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

XOF

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to have a ton of fun with photomode playing Forbidden West.
2022 is gonna be a tough year for the judges! Good luck to everyone.

I make deliveries, that's all.

PSN: Homo-Ludens97

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoger Thanks. Will try to take some if I can this year. Don't have much time to play so I haven't bought many games lately. Only bought one game last year. lol

Huntin' monsters erryday.

AFCC

Thanks for the tag, I'm excited for this. Maybe a noob question but you can only submit 2022 games?

AFCC

PSN: AFCC_13 | Twitter:

RogerRoger

Thanks for the positive feedback, everybody! Glad the new categories seem popular!

@BAMozzy Of course; you're more than welcome anytime (and, on a personal note, I wanna add that I've always thought of you as an important part of this community, so I reckon your participation in any part of it would always be fair regardless). Thanks again!

@AngryChainsaw_ @Keith_Zissou My apologies, the tag list I used above is just a collection of people who've taken part in previous competitions, or expressed an interest in them. The competition will be open to anybody and everybody! It isn't, nor will it ever be, invitational. I'll add your names to the tag list, which I'll use to inform you of updates, submission deadlines, etc. going forward.

AFCC wrote:

Maybe a noob question but you can only submit 2022 games?

No, you can submit screenshots from any game, provided you played said game and captured said screenshots at some point in 2022. A lot of people will naturally submit shots from the latest and greatest, but we've had some amazing finalists from older games before.

Making It So Since 1987

BAMozzy

@RogerRoger Thank you

nomither6

i should have a better chance at winning since i have a ps5 now , and no ps4 photos practically won the last one .

nomither6

RogerRoger

@nomither6 It's tricky to avoid a "them and us" division between the generations. I know that I (and I'm sure I speak for the other judges here, too) didn't intentionally pick finalists from PS5 games over PS4 ones, and I certainly would never judge an entry based on graphical fidelity alone, but it's kinda inescapable that newer games might look better and give certain shots an edge. Anyway, really looking forward to seeing what you're gonna submit come December! Just remember to have fun!

Thanks to @TowaHerschel7 and particularly @Iver for those kind words there, too!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic