We’ve already established that P.T., the playable teaser for Kojima Productions’ upcoming Silent Hills, is a petrifying slice of survival horror – but it’s also quite a complicated one. While the demo is a brilliant experience in its own right, some of the conundrums are a little more ambiguous than you may expect – presumably due to the carrot dangling at the end of the corridor. Speaking as part of a livestream earlier this week, Hideo Kojima admitted that he expected it to take people a week to uncover the mystery at the end of the affair, but the secret lasted a few hours instead. Still, the demo is definitely worth playing through, even if its reveal has already been cracked.
Below, you’ll find a spoiler-free walkthrough detailing how to beat the game. We’ve tried to be as unspecific as possible in order to avoid spoiling any surprises, but if you really want to go into the experience blind, then we recommend only returning to this when you get stuck. The majority of the game takes place in a single ‘L’ shaped corridor, so there aren’t any real navigational challenges here. In order to progress, though, you’ll need to complete certain activities within each loop. Just to be clear, we’re referring to loops as one successful run from the front door to the door at the very end of the hallway. It’s also worth mentioning that this game isn’t for the fainthearted, so good luck.
- Simply follow the ‘L’ shaped hallway around to the door at the bottom of the stairs. Walk through it to progress.
- Follow the ‘L’ shaped hallway around to the door with the stairs again. This time you’ll find that the door is locked.
- Walk back to where you started and slowly return to the door at the bottom of the staircase. Pass through it to progress.
- Again, follow the ‘L’ shaped hallway around to the stairwell, and it will snap shut in front of you. Inspect it and your controller will vibrate.
- Turn around, and you’ll notice that door at the opposite end of the hallway has opened a little. This is the bathroom. Glance at the crack, and push R3 to get a closer look.
- The bathroom door will snap shut, and you’ll now be able to access the door at the bottom of the staircase. Walk through it to progress.
- Follow the ‘L’ shaped hallway, and this time you’ll be greeted with a guest around the corner. Walk closer to it and it will flicker in and out of sight, before allowing you to pass through the door at the bottom of the stairwell. Of course, walk through it to progress.
- The bathroom door will be open entirely in this loop. Enter it and look at the flashlight with R3 in order to pick it up.
- Look inside the sink with the torch and you’ll be locked in the bathroom. Point the flashlight at the mirror to get the door to re-open.
- Once you’re back out in the hall, head to the door at the bottom of the staircase, and walk through it to progress.
- Use your flashlight to navigate the ‘L’ shaped hallway yet again, this time with the radio once again turned on.
- Once you reach the radio, stare directly at it, and ignore its commands. There’s a surprise waiting for you if you don’t.
- Look at the wedding photo on the same desk as the radio, and you should see that there’s an ‘X’ been etched onto it. Zoom in with R3 and press the corresponding button on the DualShock 4.
- You should hear a door click at this point. Head down the stairwell and pass through the door at the bottom to progress.
- Follow the ‘L’ shaped hallway around to the bottom of the stairs, and walk through the door at the bottom to progress.
- Again, just follow the ‘L’ shaped hallway around to the bottom of the stairs, and walk through the door at the bottom to progress. Things are a little different this time around, so hold your nerve.
- Follow the corridor to the table with the photographs and phone on the left. Above the phone you should see the word ‘Hello’ written on the wall. Zoom in on it using R3.
- Turn around and look at the wall beneath the hanging object. To the right of the coat hanger you should see the words ‘Calling me from’ written on the wall. Zoom in on them using R3.
- The trick is to move back and forth between these messages until you hear a voice say, “I can hear them calling me from Hell.”
- Leave through the door at the bottom of the stairwell to progress.
- Just follow the ‘L’ shaped corridor one more time and exit through the door at the bottom of the staircase to progress.
- You’ll be able to run this time, so keep following the corridor around and around, paying careful attention to the pictures on the wall outside of the bathroom.
- Once you’ve passed through enough times, you’ll notice that one of the pictures has fallen off, revealing a hole in the wall looking into the bathroom.
- Use the R3 button to look through the hole and keep it held until the dialogue concludes. Follow the corridor around until you reach the door at the bottom of the stairs, and walk through it to progress.
- Follow the ‘L’ shaped hallway and turn around once you reach the end. Move backwards and forwards freely until the image glitches up completely and you’re forced to start a new loop.
- When you wake up, look at the paper bag on the table to your right, and zoom in on it using the R3 button. Listen to what it has to say, and then enter the door into the now familiar ‘L’ shaped corridor.
- There’s much debate regarding how to complete the final conundrum, but this is the series of steps that worked for us.
- Follow the corridor until you reach the clock and zoom in on it. You should notice that time appears to be passing this time. Listen to it tick until you hear a midnight chime.
- Your next task is to get a baby to laugh three times. The first of these can be obtained by walking ten paces or so.
- The second laugh is a little harder to get started. We achieved it by inspecting the radio, phone, and mirror. If you walk up and down the ‘L’ shaped corridor between focusing on these objects, you’ll eventually come into contact with a ghostly figure. There appears to be no real rhyme or reason to these encounters – some claim that having a microphone plugged into the console and making random noises help – so just keep plodding backwards and forwards until you get the second laugh.
- Once you hear the second laugh, stay still and your controller will rumble. Remain steady until the rumbling passes. You should hear a third laugh.
- Finally, the phone at the bottom of the hallway will ring. Focus on it using R3 and you will answer it. Exit through the door at the bottom of the staircase to complete the game.
As an aside, starting from Loop Four you can collect picture pieces which fill out the portrait above the clock. Simply zoom in on the locations below to grab them:
- Among the rubbish directly beneath the clock.
- On the potted plant, to the right of the clock.
- Beneath the window at the bottom of the hall.
- In the ceiling between the foyer and the bathroom.
- On the stairwell leading down to the loop door.
- In the pause menu. Push ‘Options’ and then hold down R3.
Have you managed to complete the P.T. demo yet? Do you have any tips for that final loop? Is this the scariest game ever made? Freak out in the comments section below.