Bethesda Won't Show Us PS4's New DOOM Game, So Here Are Some Second Hand Details

Way to inspire confidence

Behind closed door presentations are not uncommon in this industry, but they’re especially odd when fans are invited to them. One would assume that if a game is ready to be shown to the public – albeit a hardcore subset – then that footage should be uploaded to the web, but Bethesda has put a BFG to the head of anyone attempting to record DOOM’s presentation at QuakeCon this week.

First and foremost, some top-line details: it doesn’t have a number, strap line, or subheading. It seems that legendary developer id Software is going back to basics with its impending first-person shooter, and that reflects in every area of its production – including its name. Indeed, this is a complete series reboot, rather than a sequel to the disappointing DOOM 3.

So, does it look any good? Apparently, yes. Naturally, it’s powered by proprietary engine id Tech 6, an upgraded version of the technology most recently employed in historical shooter Wolfenstein: The New Order. Unsurprisingly, it will run at 60 frames-per-second in 1080p, and will play extremely quickly – don’t expect any of that cover malarkey that’s so common these days.

Furthering its old-school inspirations, there’ll be no regenerating health, and you’ll be able to carry as many weapons as you like; to switch firearms, you’ll need to use a weapon wheel a la Ratchet & Clank. And what guns will you be able to wield in order to dispatch the spawn of Satan? Shotguns, pulse rifles, and rocket launchers will all return. Oh, and chainsaws, too.

Apparently, it’s quite brutal as well – there’ll be contextual death animations similar to Dead Space should you peg it in front of a particularly aggressive monster. Alas, the game didn’t always look like this, as it was rebooted midway through development in order to reach its current guise. It certainly sounds promising on paper, but without any footage, we’re not getting too excited yet.

[via polygon.com, eurogamer.net, uk.ign.com]

Azikira

Azikira said:

Well at least it's still coming along nicely from what's heard. I can't wait to return to DOOM's roots, that was one of my most favorite games. Here's hoping for a little Online-Co-Op action!

3rdEyeMind

3rdEyeMind said:

The reactions have been unanimously positive. There were a few worrying comments in a preview elsewhere where they stated the demos were in fairly linear environments....but, i just can't seem to accept that they would make everything else old-school and not the map design....makes no sense, so i still think they will succeed in making the maps like the old games.

The only other worry may be that it could come off as a Duke Nukem rather than a Doom, but we'll see.

kupo

kupo said:

Everything I've read sounds exactly like an HD version of the "Brutal Doom" mod, which is awesome. I just hope that Doom Guy doesn't end up being too powerful. Also...Doom 3 kicked ass, imho.

@Reverend_Skeeve "Naturally, it’s powered by proprietary engine id Tech 6, an upgraded version of the technology most recently employed in historical shooter Wolfenstein: The New Order."

Godsire-

Godsire- said:

And to be honest, Sammy calling Doom 3 "disappointing" is based on what exactly? Personal opinion? If that's the case, then state the comment that way. Don't just make it a general statement like it's common knowledge or something.

Doom 3 on Metacritic: 87%. Doesn't sound like that many people were that disappointed.

Azikira

Azikira said:

@Godsire- I believe it was more along the lines that DOOM was always a run-and-gun type of game, and DOOM 3 was more of a survival-horror game.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Didn't care for doom 3 at all glad this is getting back to basics how can anyone NOT be excited about this!
All other fps can have a seat thank you very much :)

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Godsire- that's critic reviews player reviews metric score is 7.4 compair that to 9.0 which doom 2 got and I would say thats a lil disappointing
Doom 1&2 are classics doom 3 isn't.
Lots of people who grew up playing doom on PC back in the day were very disappointed in 3 including myself

Godsire-

Godsire- said:

@LDXD player reviews on Metacritic are a joke, as we should all know by now. I am playing MW3 right now, and that got on 88 by critics, and player reviews game it a 3.1! That is ridiculous. Reading or using player reviews on Metacritic is like pissing into the wind.....pointless.

And who are "lots of people"? I grew up playing 1 & 2 along with a lot of people I know & 3 was still liked a lot. I just don't get the hate.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Godsire- this was before all the kids hating on games started, you have battlefield fans giving cod games 1s and vise versa also the fact that those games come out once a year doesn't help the hate either, doom doesn't have any of that 7.5 is as best as I would give doom 3 and that's being generous
Everyone I know personally feels like I do that the game didn't live up to the greatness of the first two and seems like most people on metric agree
I'm not hating on the game I just think its average and didn't have the same feel as the first two to me it felt like it was trying to be a survival horror than classic doom
I just think if you ask people what's your favorite I'd think 3 would come in last
I know you say you loved doom 3 but do you actually love it more than 1&2?

LDXD

LDXD said:

Speaking of all this who else would like to see another hexen?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I cannot comment on Doom 3 as I never played it, but I have always wanted to.

This one sounds really promising.

Generik

Generik said:

@LDXD I'd love to see a new Hexen. That game was fantastic!

Also, I'd mostly agree that Doom 3 was inferior to 1&2.. but I'd hardly say it3 was 'disappointing'. It was just different, as one would expect considering there was an almost 10 year gap between 2 and 3. The entire FPS genre shifted in that time and they tried to make Doom 3 more like what other FPS titles were doing.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Generik I'd love to see a new hexen I sure hope they work on that next
Also hope doom 4 has a co-op feature for the campaign, that's something I miss in most recent games

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@LDXD Co-op for Doom would be awesome, but I somehow doubt it'll happen...agreed, though: co-op is too rare nowadays. You might want to check out Destiny, though, if you haven't already...excellent co-op in that one! :)

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Reverend_Skeeve ohhh yeah been playing destiny and its pretty awesome can't wait for that one!
My only concern is the lvl 20 cap because it didn't take long at all for me to get to lvl 8
I was hoping the cap would be 50 or something

Godsire-

Godsire- said:

@LDXD I didn't say I love Doom 3 as much as 1 & 2, but it's a great game regardless. Everyone has their own opinon, right or wrong. You would give Doom 3 a 7.5, calling that "generous" & calling the game "average" just sounds crazy to me.

Doom 3 is better than iD shoveling out the same game every time. Would you rather have them just make the same game over & over? If so, go play 'Final Doom'. Basically a more difficult add on pack dressed up as a full game.

Hopefully Doom 4 gives people some new stuff while still having that old feel to it so we can have some middle ground.

Godsire-

Godsire- said:

@LDXD And as I said in another article, how has 'Heretic' or 'Hexen' not been ported to consoles? Insane to me. So we are in agreement about this, at least. Lol

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Godsire- but if it isn't as good as 1or 2 then it must be somewhat of a let down a disappointment regardless
I'd say its average and nothing special somewhat forgettable 7.5 would be generous like I said but 6.5 may be more fair IMO which is still above an average score of 5 being the middle ground which no one uses that anyway most average games get around 7 it seems like I'm not trying to say I hate doom 3 or that it sucks its a good game I guess but its also a game I can do without I wasn't blown away playing it like I was the first two I just had higher expectations when I first started playing 3 and those expectations were never achieved
Edit: you are right though I agree about not wanting to give us the same game over and over but it just felt like something was missing don't know it just hasn't clicked with me for some reason

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Godsire- man I know I absolutely loved both heretic and hexen I'd love to play that on a console and its been so long since I've played either one
I actually liked hexen better than doom I use to stay up all night playing that game