Don't Worry, Killzone: Shadow Fall Will Have Dedicated Servers

Smooth as a Helghast's helmet

A lot like cloud compatibility and 60 frames-per-second, dedicated servers have become a bit of a buzzword in the build up to the PlayStation 4. While plenty of PlayStation 3 titles took advantage of the preferred online networking functionality, many pondered if the same would apply to Sony’s next generation console. Fortunately, developer Guerrilla Games has confirmed that it’s employing the feature for Killzone: Shadow Fall.

“[The game] has dedicated servers hosted in various regions around the world,” explained Victor Zuylen on the PlayStation Blog. “These servers do not run the logic of the game – they only act as a hub between the clients, forwarding network traffic from one player in game to all other players in game.”

He continued: “This allows people with a slower connection or strict firewall settings to play without issues. Almost all logic relating to you runs on your local PS4, with only a very small portion of the game logic running on the ‘session master’, one PS4 in the game selected for its connection quality.”

The summation should be a smoother experience for all 24 players participating in a single match. Naturally, this is positive news, as the online component in the Dutch developer’s launch title is shaping up very nicely indeed. We’ll have a lot more detailed impressions later in the week, but it’s safe to say that you should probably be excited.

[via blog.us.playstation.com, neogaf.com]

B4SDR4G

B4SDR4G said:

Great news. I have had bad experiences with COD and Halo for having no dedicated servers. Since I've been playing BF3 I have had no issues any more.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

Now maybe Xbox fans will shut up about The Xbone having dedicated servers, since apparently Shadow Fall and DriveClub will have them. Sure that's only 2 games, but shooters and driving games are reliant on their online components, which is why I was expecting something like this.

With this news, I'm expecting Respawn to pull some other excuse out of their rear ends as to why Titan Fall won't be on PS4. I'm not interested in the game, I just find it funny that people are swallowing their bullcrap excuses, when we know Titan Fall is exclusive because of Microsoft's partnership with EA.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@Legendaryboss I heard about them outsourcing for the 360 port, but didn't care enough to actually confirm it.

Their excuse doesn't really pan out because with the PS4 & Xbone sharing near identical hardware, it shouldn't take much effort on their end to get the game running on PS4.

DeHorror1975

DeHorror1975 said:

@Lelouch

I dont think their hardware is all that identical because there is no backwards compatibility. I would say the hardware between the two xbox consoles is more identical to one another than the two playstations.

I have said this several times about micro....they invest way too much money in buying of developers that they dont own, where is the pride in that?

I feel like Sony has to prove themselves, which they do, and Micro just buys off exclusivity to IP's they had nothing to do with. Micro would be dead right now if two things had happened: 1 Halo never existed, 2 sony had their online up to par at launch with the PS3. Sony is going to dominate this generation because they obviously love making great games and they listened to developers. I feel the pre orders in software and hardware are reflecting this.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@DeHorror1975 I said that the hardware of the PS4 is nearly identical, so I'm not sure how you got around to backwards compatibility and the previous consoles.

I agree with what you're saying, though. Microsoft seems to get by on the hard work of others, while Sony builds relationships with developers before buying or signing an exclusivity deal with them. It's for that reason why I'm not impressed by the Xbones 3rd party support, they did nothing to get those titles, but pull out their wallet and that isn't something I was raised to believe is right.

I also agree that Sony will dominate this gen, because they've been making all the right moves. For everyone's talk about Microsoft's dedicated servers, bigger launch lineup and more advanced camera, the pre-orders have remained in Sony's favor. Many will say that pre-order numbers don't matter, but I believe that they're usually a sign of things to come.

Ps4all

Ps4all said:

I can hardly wait! November cannot come soon enough. I recently finished shadow fall and I am playing the online component now. If guerrilla can pull that out of the Vita, I cant wait to experience what they do on PS4.

Shaolin

Shaolin said:

Leaving xbox out of the equation for the moment (I don't come here to discuss them) I'm a bit disappointed to have later learnt that these so-called "dedicated servers" are merely the matchmaking servers that we've already had access to all these years on PSN. It seems that they are only dedicated at matchmaking but the crucial part is that the game doesn't run on the server which means that it still runs on one of the playstations. I really think we need to give Sony hell for this until they invest in their server infrastructure because truly dedicated servers make a big difference in multiplayer fairness (even in coop). I won't applaud Guerilla's misdirection here because if they fool people into thinking that they're giving a dedicated server experience then they may get away without ever doing it and I'd like to see proper dedicated servers used in playstation games.