Konami Reflecting Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD onto PS3

Sink your teeth into Nintendo 3DS adventure at last

If you’ve been sulking like a Twilight star over Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate’s exclusivity on the Nintendo 3DS, you may be tempted to flash your pointed teeth at the news that an upgraded version of the handheld title is heading to the PlayStation Network. The port – which has been rumoured longer than Dracula himself – was revealed on publisher Konami’s official Facebook page earlier today.

Specific details are scarce, but the re-release’s due out on 31st October in North America. Last week, Play-Asia listed a product page for a Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Collection, which seems more likely than ever now. The compilation will supposedly comprise the original gothic adventure and all of its DLC, in addition to the aforementioned Mirror of Fate HD. Don’t be surprised if this gets officially announced at GamesCom later in the week.

Despite starting life on a portable, though, there’s no word on the former 3DS exclusive coming to the PlayStation Vita. Posed with the inevitable query on Twitter, Head of UK Studio Dave Cox noted that there are “no plans” to port the title to Sony’s struggling system. Yeah, we can feel the red mist approaching, too.

[via facebook.com]

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

I think a digital release on Vita would have sales figures that far outweigh the small amount in costs it would need to port to Vita. How difficult could it be with a Ps3 version already done? The mind boggles lol I would buy a handheld port on another handheld, but Im not gonna buy a handheld game on a console unless its had enough work done on it. @get2sammyb How much works been done on this port that we know of?

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Played it on 3DS, it is a game between mediocre and good. It also felt kinda unpolished,or rather incomplete. Maybe they'll fine tune it and add some glitters.
Also, the lack of a Vita version, same thing happened with RE: Revelations is simply stupid and unaccetable.
Is Nintendo retaining exclusivity for handheld versions or what?

@Bliquid Doubtful - Konami just probably doesn't think it's worth it. It's a bit of a weird one, because while Vita hardware sales are very poor, everything we seem to hear suggests that the software is doing okay.

Savino

Savino said:

No wiiu version nor vita.... I really should learn how to pick my systens!

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

oh i would love this to get a release on the PSVita but a PS3 version will do i can finally get to play it then (game is a bit awkward to play on the original small 3DS i have so i didn't bother getting it, if the demo is anything to go by that is)

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

@get2sammyb: i know, right?
There's plenty of good titles on Vita, i'm actually very happy with the machine.
Is it such a different environment to develop for?
I mean, in my ignorance i don't think it should be THAT difficult to throw in a Vita version while already porting it to other platforms.

ObviouslyAdachi

ObviouslyAdachi said:

So is this 3DS-toPS3 port situation going to become a regular thing? I mean I know this is only the second game to make this transition, but it's a weird pairing of systems.

belmont

belmont said:

This is rip-off, I gave 50 euros for an inferior version and there is an HD port only some months later. This is the second time I end up playing 50 euros for the inferior version after Revelations. Why they release these games on 3DS while clearly the audience for them is on Vita is beyond me. 3DS has a huge install base but no one buys them. And they porting them on PS3 and not Vita... Even if SMT4 gets a release on EU I won't buy it, I will wait to play it on PS3.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Well, tbh these games are handeheld native, meaning that not only graphics but gameplay as well is tuned towards that kind of use.
My point is, even if on home consoles they might have more visual power, they are still more fitting as a on-the-go experience.
And Atlus doesn't work like that, so i think you won't go wrong by buying SMTIV on 3DS.
But i'm with you on many points; as i said before, the lack of a Vita version is just unacceptable.