Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 1,585

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Ah, thanks for clearing that up (and for writing up all that information for me right away). I didn't realise there'd been a Wii U sequel to the 3DS original, and therefore thought that this'd be a (very) expanded port of a 3DS game. Not that I harbour any snobbery towards handheld gaming, but it's good to know that there's been a little more iteration and innovation involved along the way. Here's hoping that Bowser's Fury makes for a worthy addition to the game!

Sounds like I'd steer clear of the multiplayer and focus on the cool collectibles (here's hoping those stamps are still present, as that kinda thing holds a strong appeal, like the collectible Toads in The Origami King). The words "simple, charming and fun" bring it home. Thanks for the recommendation; on that basis, it's no longer a matter of if, but when.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Just bought a 3DS eshop exclusive called Kokuga. Apparently it was delisted in a few regions in 2020, and there has already been at least one exclusive that was delisted from the eshop before I could buy it, so I just went for it.

@RogerRoger It's nice to see a lot of these Wii U classics finally getting the recognition they always deserved now that they're on the Switch. In the case of 3D World, there was a noticeable amount of resentment of it in corners of the Nintendo fan community because fans were hungry for a new sandbox Mario game, and Nintendo was releasing what seemed like an HD 3DS game. Since then, we've gotten Super Mario Odyssey, which seems to have satiated the fanbase, and people can appreciate 3D World on its own terms now.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah That reaction just makes me wanna play it even more now. I'm not a professional contrarian, but historical precedence would suggest that I favour an underdog.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker was originally on Wii U as well, wasn't it? Such a delightful game.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Yeppers. It's a spinoff of 3D World, actually, since Captain Toad levels first appeared in that game as fun little optional minigame levels.

Nintendo later took that fun little concept from 3D World, fleshed it out, and created Treasure Tracker on Wii U.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah OMG, he's so wretchedly adorable! And the promise of playing more of his levels just sealed the 3D World deal. I had no idea that's where the concept came from. Awesome!

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Etrian Mystery Dungeon for Nintendo 3DS for $36, which is higher than I'd like to pay for a six-year-old game, but it comes with all the pack-ins, and I want to secure a physical copy now that the digital version has been delisted. It'd be just my luck to wait and the price to jump like it did with some other games I could mention.

Also, after this little retrospective with @RogerRoger about 3D World, I became nostalgic and decided to repurchase Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Hope it holds up (otherwise I'm gonna feel guilty)!

Making It So Since 1987

Ash_uk1

Brought Carnage Heart(ps1) off Ebay. its a mech fighting game with a twist: you don't directly control the mechs you have to programme the AI yourself, very fun game but hard game.

Ash_uk1

PSN: Ash_uk1

colonelkilgore

Just ordered The Evil Within 1 & 2 for under £30. Have heard mixed things about the games but I have noticed as time has dragged on the positive comments seem far more common. I’m taking on quite a few platinums that are rated as being very difficult to obtain in the next year or so, these will be added to that particular list.

Edit. Lol wrong thread 😅

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Ralizah

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

My favorite steelbook to date. Simply beautiful.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Woof. That's a gorgeous steelbook, right there!

And here's me, buying old GBA games in their freakin' cardboard boxes, like a hobo. I really hope they don't arrive battered; they're so tricky to protect!

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

That's a really lovely steelbook indeed just like the other persona 5 ones @Ralizah. I may not of got on with P5 all that much but the vanilla version's steelbook is gorgeous and royal's isn't bad either!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Now I just need the PS4 one to complete my P5 steelbook "collection."

I'd love it if they did something similar with SMT V, which is going to be another huge release for them.

I get pretty much everything else digitally, but MegaTen games are physical for me.

@RogerRoger In fairness, those battered-box GBA games are likely a lot more valuable and rare. Even most loose GBA cartridges cost a pretty penny at this point.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I think it's the difference between buying something at launch and buying something fifteen years down the line. Your steelbook will be worth its weight in gold someday if you keep it safe.

The risky GBA games turned up in a semi-respectable condition for what I paid, so I'm claiming a win!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

mookysam wrote:

Part of what I love about the GBA (other than its portability) is how it was a new golden age for pixel art, so there's a lot of games you won't find anywhere else. GBA games in general seem to be very collectible these days, although typically the ones I want are rare and expensive. Finding ones complete with boxes and manuals in reasonable condition can also be tricky.

I used to keep all of my GBA boxes folded flat as I didn't have room for them, but it kept them safe and in pristine condition. That was until one fateful day, not long after I'd moved away, my brother decided to root through the box I kept them in, hoping to find something to play. Most of them ended up bent or ripped, so I threw them away in disgust. All I can say is thank goodness my Final Fantasy VI Advance box was largely unharmed!

What other GBA games have you bought/got your eye on?

@mookysam Thought I'd bring this over here, to keep the reviews topic tidy.

Because yeah, finding decent second-hand (or sometimes new, if I'm real lucky) GBA cartridges can be hugely hit-and-miss, way moreso than other systems which used plastic boxes for its games. As always, it depends on how well-loved a game was, or still is. I'm lucky in that I tend to veer towards crappy licenced games, which scored average-to-badly but were made in the millions anyway, and so are more commonplace and command lower prices as a result. If you want a Pokémon or Zelda game... well, you'd better be prepared to take a hammer to your piggy bank. The other day I saw a brand new, sealed copy of A Link to the Past going for £349.99 and choked on my coffee.

Sorry to hear about your carefully-preserved boxes getting damaged like that. A similar fate befell some of my PS2 games. When I was at university, the only place in my digs I could put them was on a windowsill which, unbeknownst to me, leaked. I returned from a Christmas back home and found all my games soaked and warped. The discs were fine, but a lot of my PS2 boxes, covers and manuals have been ruined ever since. Occasionally I'll replace one, if I can find a trusted seller somewhere.

I've found a decent and complete copy of the first LEGO Star Wars and a brand new, sealed copy of a special Spidey double pack release, which somehow squeezes the first two Tobey Maguire tie-in games onto a single cartridge. Both were around the £15 mark.

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger Yeah, I certainly appreciate the move to plastic cases, which is perhaps selfish as I know it's worse for the environment. Bizarrely it can still sometimes be a challenge to find certain plastic-cased games in good condition. Maybe I'm just too fussy? I guess ultimately a lot of people don't look after their things. I treasure my games and have 20-year-old titles that are still pristine, so it's always sad to see something in really manky condition of eBay. It's strange how the Zelda and Pokémon games are so expensive boxed, because they tended to be the among the systems best sellers. I had no idea A Link to the Past was worth so much! I still have my original boxed copy.

Ouch, it must have been really upsetting to find your PS2 cases ruined like that. I think I'd have screamed! How many do you still have left to replace? Enjoy your new GBA games. Are they something you might post impressions of? I'm curious how the LEGO game compares to its console sibling.

Spent most of the day setting up my New 3DS, and it's been an exercise in torment! The system transfer kept failing because the wireless on the original 3DS is crap and doesn't play ball with modern routers. Eventually I got it to work, but then there were issues copying the SD card's contents to my computer. It took a while to work out which game's file had the problem, because Nintendo don't name them. It was Shin Megami Tensei IV causing all the trouble! Anyway, it's all sorted now and I'm quite chuffed with the upgrade from my original 3DS.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@mookysam My glasses don't get on with the face-tracking 3D (which you can turn off, thankfully), but the newer system is worth it if only for the boost in speed when turning on the system, suspending games, etc. It's a much snappier system.

Have you played SMT IV before?

@RogerRoger It's crazy how expensive some older games can get. Sometimes to my benefit, at least. I sold my used copy of Haunting Grounds on ebay for $250 recently, and I think my copy was the cheapest one on there at the time!

But yeah, old games in new condition are insanely rare, so it makes sense they'd be more expensive.

mookysam

@Ralizah I noticed that with my glasses a little. It mostly works, but it's not super stable. I have thin lenses, but perhaps the anti-glare coating affects it slightly. My launch 3DS is now a decade old so barely holds charge, but that wasn't too much of a bother given I could keep it plugged in. I mostly wanted a New 3DS XL because my original one had become increasingly uncomfortable for me to hold. The analogue slider also kept falling off and the d-pad and bottom buttons are peeling (build quality of those was not good). The bigger screens are a massive bonus too.

I haven't played SMT IV yet, and have that and Apocalypse lined up to play. They were both digital only in Europe, so I snapped them up when they were on sale. I'll probably start IV after I finish Persona 5 Royal and Strikers.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@mookysam I actually like the smaller version more, but NoA, in its infinite wisdom, decided to only release the bigger version in NA.

It's a massive upgrade over the original unit. OG 3DS was boxy, uncomfortable, and scratched its own screen. Although I really liked the red color scheme of the one I bought that first year.

I got an anti-glare coating on my glasses to see if it'd help with the face-tracking, but it hasn't. I never had an issue with the original 3D tech to begin with, so I stuck with that to avoid the obnoxious flickering when it couldn't see my face.

IV: Apocalypse wasn't received well by the core fanbase because of its lack of atmosphere and more anime-ish characterizations, but I really loved it. The QoL improvements over IV are substantial, and the game is just pure fun to play. The combo of Persona-esque character dynamics with SMT's challenging, polished mechanics was an amazing move.

SMTIV is good as well, though. I'm glad I held onto my physicals, as they've exploded in price recently.

Sounds like you have a lot of Atlus goodness in your future!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic